main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Les Misérables movie

Discussion in 'Community' started by Miana Kenobi, Sep 20, 2012.

1. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I thought they were just going by the book with Gavroche's song at the barricade. I've never seen the unedited version of the musical, but I'm fairly certain Gavroche sings his Little People song in the book when he's collecting gunshot powder. It was just his way of saying "Screw You" to the Guard.

Eponine's got a bit of a bigger role in the musical proper. A few more lines of her flirting with Marius and him completely ignoring it (Marius is either the most unbelievably oblivious guy or the biggest dick in all of musical theater) and she delivers the letter to Valjean for him. Then she gets shot climbing back over the barricade and Marius' first reaction is to ask if she delivered his letter. I dunno if the unedited version has anything in it, but I really wish there was just a line or two with Marius telling the Thendardiers their daughter is dead and calling them out on being horrible people. He does hit them in the movie, but it had nothing to do with Eponine

As for the students, the only one who gets any sort of characterization (besides Enjolras) is Grantaire, and even that's minimal. He's supposed to be this drunkard who cares nothing about the revolution and its ideals but has this giant mancrush on Enjolras and is willing to follow him anywhere. If you pay really close attention during the musical you can pick up a bit of it, but I never would have noticed if I didn't read the novel. I wish they had've played that up more in the film as I think it would've made his death scene much more powerful.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    What did everybody think about the scene where
    Javert pins his medal onto Gavroche? I thought it was pushing a point too far. I was kind of liking the moment of Javert having to confront the fact that this young child had been killed and that kind of adding to his inner turmoil at that moment. But I thought pinning the medal on him went too far. I don't see Javert ever doing that, even as confused as he is at that moment.

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I agree with a lot of the comments here. At first, the extreme closeups in the musical numbers is fascinating, very effective when Hathaway sings her bit, but it quickly becomes routine. The movie doesn't seem to understand its own visual style very well. People are covered in filth, check. But the movie can't seem to decide whether it wants Paris to look like a city or a virtual Broadway stage. The shifts seem arbitrary and made me dislike the barricade set even more in the way it stands out from other scenes.

But I did like many of the numbers. I won't be surprised if this movie makes a star out of Samantha Barks.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I think the same could be said for Eddie Redmayne. He nailed Empty Chairs at Empty Tables.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That and the fact that the girls think he's cute :p I hope it does make a star out of Barks; she was great.

I liked Javert pinning the medal on Gavroche, but I think it was a bit out of character for him to go that far.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    TheGuardianofArlon likes this.
  7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm starting to get excited about this, it comes here on the 18th. The thing is I've loved all the film and mini-series I've seen of the story, if you haven't seen the French mini series with Gérard Depardieu you need to see it now, but I've felt that the book is quite longwinded and I've never seen or heard the musical. I also usually like Jackman, and what I've seen of Redmayne and I'm looking forward to seeing them. So this will be an interesting experience for me.

The only piece I know from the musical is Stars, and that it's because my favorite opera singer has sung it a lot, and I know that nothing will beat his singing of it in my eyes so I'm not too worried about hearing Crowe singing it.

8. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Just saw it with my son. Loved it. Not a perfect movie, but it was beautifully moving and the live singing was perfect for me. I hope it sparks a new wave of musicals on the screen that use the technique.

Yeah. Pretty much fell in love with her. Magnificent.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So for the longest time I thought it was pronounced "Lay Miserables", but apparantly it's pronounced "Lay Miz-ah-rob". :oops:

I'm just going to call it Less Minstrels.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I've seen the one with Frederic March and Charles Laughton; the one with Anthony Perkins as Javert (he's a lot better than I expected); and the one with Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush. I have liked parts of all of them: Laughton is a great Javert, but the story is way too rushed; Anthony Perkins is a great Javert; Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush are both great, but the story divulges strangely in the second half and Valjean actually slaps Cosette in the face at one point! Please!

This new version is by far the best film version I've ever seen. Not counting the 10th Anniversary Concert DVD release with Colm Wilkinson and Philip Quast, which probably always be the best adaptation in my mind.

11. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Just have to add +1 to the support for the French miniseries starring Gerard Depardieu and John Malkovich (as Valjean and Javert respectively) - some minor changes but by-and-large a very faithful adaptation of the novel. And of course, it's in actual French. :)

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    At the end Valjean becomes a Russian citizen for the flat tax rate.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I would be down for that.

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'd be down for trying that ... though tbh, I don't usually have that kind of attention span :p

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I would like to try it. I think I can do it

16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd give it a try at home. No way I could manage that in a theatre, though.

17. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    After the second viewing, Hugh's performance of Bring Him Home bugs me a LOT. He's like shouting it. I almost want someone to be like "SHHHH WE ARE SLEEPING."

Platelet likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I've taken to watching the trailer now that I've seen the movie. The trailer is amazing. Can't stop watching it. I've also bookmarked the 10th and 25th Anniversary editions of the musical.

19. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I watched it. I thought there were a lot of unnecessary awkward pauses during many of the songs. I was also distracted in the second half in that as Hugh Jackman aged he began to increasingly look like Patrick Duffy.

Miana Kenobi likes this.
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    That was by far my least favorite scene in the film. That's the only song from the musical that I felt just got straight up butchered.

21. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought he looked a lot like Michael Landon.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Saw this today. Went in with decent expectations, given its reputation. Unfortunately, I really didn't care for it. There are very few films where I regret paying money to see, but this was one of them.It's definitely one of those films where your mind wanders to other thoughts and then snaps back to the film without missing much.

There's nothing particularly offensive about it or any key failing to overlook or focus upon, it's just the whole sing-everything approach is extremely exhausting to watch (especially given the runtime), obscures the drama (as well as a few character deaths) and makes the movie about a half hour longer than it would be otherwise.

I strongly believe a traditional musical approach would have been much more effective and emotionally invoking.

That said, Hathaway is excellent in it and the key songs are quite good. So, if you're particularly keen on seeing this, catch it on cable down the road but I'd recommend saving your money.

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    The musical is like that--sung straight through.

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah that's not exactly a decision of the filmmakers. In fact there was a lot more talking in the film than in the play, which usually has maybe two lines of dialogue but is basically an opera. It's not for everyone, and I'm glad they didn't remove a bunch of songs just to cater to a broader audience.

Bring Him Home was pretty disappointing, yeah. But that's probably the most technically difficult one in the show and I've only seen a few people nail it. Still, I'm not sure why he didn't go falsetto.

And Rogue, you were surprised by Anthony Perkins being a great Javert? Why? I thought he was predictably perfect in that adaptation. Also he was a good singer, they should have resurrected him for this film :p

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't blame the filmmakers for being true to the musical, and I'm not necessarily against the concept- just saying I don't think it worked well for this film.