main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Les Misérables movie

Discussion in 'Community' started by Miana Kenobi, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I really hope this is as good as the trailer leads me to believe. I will be seeing this in theatres. :)

The live idea is great. I feel like it will give it a stage perfomance quality, which is what a musical such as Les Mis should have.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    They should redo the entire musical as rap.

STRAIGHT OUT OF PRISON
    ANOTHER CRAZY ASS FRENCHMAN
    MORE ORPHANS I SAVE YO
    THE LESS I BE GUILTIN'.

Etc.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
  4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Get Tom on this stat.

Ramza and Darth Guy like this.
  5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I meant to say tom so he would come.

6. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Can you ban him? You can do that, right?

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i am here, but i've never seen les mis so you guys have to write the whole thing for me. looks like you're off to a good start!

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    "IT IS AGAINST THE LAW NOT TO PAY RENT!"

Miana Kenobi likes this.
  9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm not sure I'd go that far, most movie actors are not of stage-level quality (unless they are familiar with stage performing like Hugh Jackman) and are generally selected because of their image and because they can sing OK or have musical experience. I know plenty of known musical stage actors who would trounce pretty much every actor appearing in the movie in terms of singing ability, but they are nobodies with little to no experience of acting for cameras.

10. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    On the other hand, stage actors who have only played for the stage, however famous they might be, would have a tendency to ham it up even in front of a camera, with grand gestures and a loud voice, when a more contained body language or even a whisper might do the trick, to give the scene a more intimate feeling. So it's really a matter of knowing what you want as a director and taking the means to go there. Depending on the type of musical and the artistic direction, stage actors might be more appropriate than film actors, or vice versa.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

11. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    I would say stage actors have a better acting ability by far, but that doesn't mean they could adapt to camera acting, as camera acting you have to be more emotional in the face, where as on stage, unless the audience is close, you don't necessarily have to do that, but do have to project.

It's all very confusing.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, it's a bad idea to cast too many pure musical stage actors in a film. That's definitely not a good recipe for realism. They are good for stage but I agree that they tend to ham it up too much on camera. However, I still think they should have gotten a better singer than Russell Crowe.

How about I just summarize for you... Jean Valjean steals bread, goes to prison for 19 years, then proceeds to go through France and encounter as many people he knows in random coincidences as the cast of the SW PT.

13. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Then there's a lady names Fantine who he has fired from his factory, and she has a daughter named Cosette that he takes care of after Fantine dies. She falls in live with a young revolutionary student named Marius, who is a part of a movement to give power to the people. There's another girl named Eponine who is like the original Friend-Zoned person to Marius.

Oh, and the entire 10 years or so that this story spans, there's a police officer named Javert who is trying to hunt down Jean Valjean for breaking his parole.

It's awesome.

On the subject of stage vs film acting, there is a HUGE difference, and stage actors don't work well on film typically.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Unless they're awesome thespians like Patrick Stewart & Ian McKellen

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm hugely torn between wanting to kill Rogue1-and-a-half for his joke about Javert rapping and his knowledge of the lyrics hopefully by heart...

16. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
  17. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I have the OST and I love it. It's why I want to see the movie. I am unsure whether I should read the play or watch the old version first though.

Sad that it's being pushed back but very understandable.

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    It only makes me upset because I can't do a Christmas Eve midnight lineup.

19. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    I would actually get into Rent if that's how it ended.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Absolutely by heart.

21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    New trailer! Super similar to the teaser, but a few new shots.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Any idea if they're going for the full original song list from when the show first ran, or if they will reduce it to more like the current version of the show?

The original show had to be cut down because it was three and a half hours long, people won't sit through a musical like that and I doubt they will be inclined to sit in a cinema for that amount of time (especially if they don't get an interval which they do in a theatre)

23. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    Then again, people sat through an entire sitting of the LOTR trilogy...

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I sat through a Star Wars Marathon, but there were at least breaks between the films.

25. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    Yes, but people will stay for long movies, so why not this one