main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Can we finally say that Fedor isn't the best heavy weight in the world? He got choked and armed bar all in the same move!

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I was very surprised when I read the reports that Fedor lost. I can't wait to see Dana White blow this out of proportion.

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    How does Fedor losing prove he's lost it? Sure this was a poor performance, he got suckered good and was far too confident to go straight into the guard. (And, unlike many fighters, admits that he was 100% ready but got shown up.) But 1 loss does not outweigh 31 wins.

He's only got 1 fight left on his contract, after that I think he might call it quits anyway. What does he have left to gain?

4. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    I think the loss calls into question whether he's the best Heavyweight now (2010). It certainly doesn't take away what he's done the past 10 years, but in 2010, I'm not sure if he's the best Heavyweight. I'd certainly like to see him continue to fight even after his contract runs out with Strikeforce. There are definitely tons of high profile fights left if he wants to make serious money in the UFC (assuming he rematches Werdum and wins). Maybe M-1 will drop the whole copromotion thing now since they have no real bargaining power anymore.

From the UFCs pov this couldn't have been better. Fedor loses just as they are getting ready for their biggest PPV with Brock-Carwin, and he lost to a guy who lost to one of the new bread UFC fighters (JDS). Clearly the winner of the fight this weekend will be considered the #1 Heavyweight in the world now. And that's all the UFC needs, they'll have the #1 guy in every division now.

For Strikeforce, this is not good. Its another example of why you never wait to make fights. If you have a top level fight you book it. They wanted Fedor vs. Overeem and now you have to wait to get it and hope you resign Fedor. And if they do an immediate rematch you run the risk of killing Werdums big win. Not that he is a huge draw, but I think they have to book Werdum Vs. Overeem, Fedor vs. some guy. Then the winners face off and you get either the Fedor rematch or he fights Overeem and on that card you do the loser Werdum/Overeem vs. some other guy and finally set up Fedor vs. Werdum/Overeem. So in 3 cards (one years time) you get all the top level Strikeforce fights. Unfortunately this requires Fedor to sign on for at least 2 more fights and likely more since if he does ultimately clean house you don't want the new contract to run out as he becomes champ and can walk with the belt or retire with it.

I think a new deal with Strikeforce would be interesting (might be tough) since I still think the UFC will throw money at him trying to create bidding war, especially if he gets his rematch and beats Werdum and they can go back to billing him as a guy who just got caught (a la GSP). If M-1 backs off the copromotion now and he signs with the UFC he'll do huge PPV numbers vs. Randy and then huge numbers vs. any one of the top UFC guys.

Those are the fights I want to see, but unfortunately I don't think he'll come to the UFC, and will probably resign with Strikeforce and ultimately win their belt, but have no one credible left to fight once he avenges the Werdum loss and beats Overeem.

5. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    I think Brock Lesner really proved somwthing against Carwin. Not only could he take a beating from a powerful opponent, he has developed an effective ground game now as well which will only get better. Great Fight. The Leben fight was entertaining as well.

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    His ground game consisted of choking out a completely gassed Carwin. Not that impressive. :p But his ability to limit damage and spring back up was.

Carwin was dumb, gassing out on ineffective shots. If he'd kept it standing he could've won.

7. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Carwin was going for the win, I don't blame him for going crazy with shots because if that wasn't a championship fight it might have been over during that flurry on the ground. Credit Brock with adjusting the choke though, at first Carwin was OK like Joe Rogen said. Brock realized that and adjusted to finish him off.

8. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I still can't believe Fedor lost...

9. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    That was a great ppv on Sat, the fights were fantastic.
    I don't blame Carwin for going for it either. I mean he had Brock down, and seemily wounded, why not go for the finish. Whether he punched himself out or not, I don't think he'd be the same fighter in rd 2,3,4,5 anyway, so going for the finish doesn't bother me.

I think this worked out perfect for the UFC. Amazing how things fall into place for them. But they got their biggest draw to win, in an exciting fight where he had to come back, he displayed a submission game and that he is still improving AND they also got a good performace out of Carwin so that he isn't really hurt by the loss. Yes his cardio is a question, but I don't think too many people can take what Brock took, so another win or 2 and Carwin is right back in title contention and you can book a rematch and do just as well ppv wise.
    And if Cain can put up a similar showing or at least make it a 2-3 rd fight, they'll still have quite few options after the JDS-Nelson winner gets a shot. Good times for the UFC Heavyweight division.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Just saw on the wrestlingobserver website that it'll be a Mir/Nogueira rematch for the 9/25 show in Indy.

11. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Machida vs Rampage In Novemebr!! Nice.

12. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    UFC 116 and 117 were awesome!! I can't believe Silva came back to win it like that in the last round. Actually, I am more surprised Silva was receiving that much of a beating the whole fight (or was he? [face_thinking] )

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Anyone else watching/following UFC 121 tonight?

Matt Hammil (personal fave of mine) just had an uninspired and unimpressive decision win over Tito Ortiz ... just an appetizer to the main event though ...

Edit: And Velasquez just absolutely DESTROYED Lesnar to take the title. WOW.

And someone needs to tell Lesnar to Shave. He's starting to look like a poor man's Kevin Nash.

14. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Wooooow that was quick.

I wouldn't want to be the next person to fight Lesnar (well, or ever be the person to fight Lesnar, but still).

15. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Watch Lesnar go all Benoit on his family now.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I would suggest a game where everyone takes a drink every time Lesnar refers to himself in the 3rd person but that would turn people into alcoholics in one night.

17. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    what would be worse is if someone arranged a hangout with Lesnar and Rickey Henderson.

We would be dead. No doubt about it.

18. ForceJumpAnakin

Dec 24, 2006
    I saw it. Overall it was good. The Diego Sanchez fight was 3 rounds but pretty fun. LOL there was a part where his butt was on the other guy's face.

And did you see the guy with the MUSTACHE!!?

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Was that really called for?o_O

Inty: Apparently Lesnar told one of the SportsCenter anchors that the beard was for hunting season when he got back up to Minn.

20. ForceJumpAnakin

Dec 24, 2006
    The WEC merging with the UFC is awesome! Although I am in complete awe of the current lighter weight champions, Dominick Cruz and Jose Aldo, I still believe they will get some competition from Urijah Faber, Chad Mendes, Mike Brown, and Miguel Torres.

I know the first fight wasn't really close, but Mike Brown will do a lot better against Aldo in a rematch. He just needs to push for the takedowns and clinches with no fear, like Chael Sonnen did against Anderson Silva.

Speaking of which, I don't see anyone besides Vitor Belfort (a great striker) or Chael (a great wrestler) who can dethrone Silva. The middleweight and welterweight divisions are kind of weak in that respect. Seriously, GSP will have some fun being the champ for the next 10 years, no one has looked even remotely close to threatening him.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Had no idea tonight was a fight night until the Mrs.' Sweet Tooth lead us in search of a brownie and settling in at a Quaker Steak. Some good fried food and a good brownie later, we stayed for the whole card including one hell of a knockout by BJ Penn and an interesting decision for Rampage over Machida.

Here's my thoughts on Rampage over Machida: It shows what's wrong with the "win the round" scoring system. Because, I'm sure, watching each round by itself, I could talk myself into Rampage having won the first two rounds. But, watching the match in whole and how Machida dominated the third round in a way Rampage didn't come close to dominating either of the first two, I'm not sure you could make the argument he won the fight. Yet, that's how it's to be scored, and that's how two judges scored it. Unfortunate, but it is what it is.

22. ForceJumpAnakin

Dec 24, 2006
    The Wec just had its last event and man was it a barn burner. That Showtime Kick will be talked about... forever.

23. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    GSP was awesome again and I love how he stood up the whole time trying for the KO. Koschek and his big mouth got shut up real fast, loved it.

Finally the Ontario government sanctioned the UFC and we'll an event in April at the Rogers Centre which will be a record crowd for sure. Hope the fight card is as good.

24. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    GSP conformed for Toronto's first UFC event!!! [face_dancing] Can't wait to see the rest of the card.

25. ForceJumpAnakin

Dec 24, 2006
    Clay Guida is hilarious and awesome. Randy Couture vs Lyoto Machida might also be on the Toronto card. This is going to be a sick year of fights.