main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY LGA Table Top Gaming thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012

Oooh!!! Meesah Like-ah dis idea! [face_batting]

2. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    I'm up for this. And, I'll bring my homemade ships too (I know I said I wouldn't, but I changed my mind).

3. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    OK Jan out and I'm only in town till 25 Feb

gotta find a date PDQ to pick for a night or day cuz after that I won't be free till April.

4. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Dang, guess we missed your cut off.

Was over on the Fantasy Flight Games XWing website and I saw they're promoting 2013 Regional Tournaments. When I scrolled down to KY I found
    KY
    4/13/2013 Louisville Pet Shop Comics & Collectibles petshopcomics@windstream.net
    5/18/2013 Louisville Something2do Something2DoGames@gmail.com

That's all I know but I'll get more details as the dates approach. I've been meaning to check out Pet Shop Comics since they seem to be pretty big into the tabletop gaming in town. I may enter the 4/13 session just for the experience. If nothing else I'll go to see how it runs. Maybe they'd like a "real" Rebel Pilot (or Tie Pilot) to show up to give the tournament a little color. It wouldn't hurt to let them know of the existence of the LGA anyway. The 5/18 date I'm working that weekend which is Wonderfest anyway.

EDIT: I checked out IN as well since Indianapolis is only 2 hours away
    IN
    4/13/2013 Indianapolis The Game Preserve - Fashion Mall Commons fmstore@gamepreserve.com
    4/13/2013 Bloomington The Game Preserve #3 btstore@gamepreserve.com
    4/27/2013 Fort Wayne Top Shelf Games jrhoad88@gmail.com
    5/11/2013 Portage Lightspeed Hobbies customerservice@lightspeedhobbies.com
    6/1/2013 West Lafayette The Sage's Shoppe info@thesagesshoppe.com
    6/15/2013 Lafayette Best Western sorrosuub@gmail.com
    6/15/2013 Indianapolis Saltire Games stikk@saltiregames.com

5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Interesting there's no locations for Lexington. Maybe they'll add some later.

6. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Picked up the new wave of vehicles/minis for the game. The Falcon is sweet! It looks good enough to be entered in the model contest at WonderFest. (Hmmmm)

7. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Go ahead and enter it, it will place better then anything I'd do the way the judging has been.

8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    We should play again. Mika, I'd be happy to meet up at your store sometime next month.

9. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    That would be cool. Expect a PM shortly.

I have some details on the Regional Tourney from the folks at Petshop Comics

"The Regional will be at 6:00 PM on Saturday, April 13th.
    Arbra Strong will be running the event. (Some of you may know him.)
    The cost will be $15.00 per person.
    Prizes will be special edition "Focus" markers to all participants, as well as cool limited edition sew-on patches for the top 16.
    Grand prize winner will receive an awesome trophy and paid admission to the World Championships in Minnesota."

10. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    Now that I have the game, I would be happy to play too. However, I don't quite understand the rules, so I'll need to be taught.

11. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I'm a good teacher.

12. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Okay Jammies and I scouted out BlueGrassMagic on Outer Loop last night and were pretty satisfied. It's a nice large play area and people were friendly, as long as there's not a tournament going on we should be fine to play. Just make sure you use your "inside voice", there are some serious card players around as well we don't want to disturb. We played a couple of quick 50 point Xwing games and we're talking about doing it this Friday too. Any other interest? Probably get together about 7:30PM or so and play by official rules instead of our home brewed version. I've got enough stuff we could do teams like we did last time we all got together to play.

13. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Hey! I spent a lot of time on that "home brewed version" and the models are better too! ;)
    But I know, it wouldn't be allowed in a tourney.

14. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    I'll talk with Appo today and see if he'd like to join in on this. Sounds like fun! [face_dancing] Ummm, how many players are we limited to?

And inside voice? "Check". ;)

15. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Zannah,
    The "official" rules say the game is for two players--- BUT we really have no limit. I don't want to speak for our Boss, but he has enough ships that if all of us wanted to play at the same time, and we each played one miniature ship, we could.

Jammies

The more I play this game, the more I LOVE it. Yesterday, while we were in the game store on Bardstown Road looking at their table space during a walk, Ms. Jammies even suggested we host a X-Wing game night at her house! [It would have to be AFTER Derby and Wonderfest]

16. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Ooo...another game store with table space...what was it's name?

Zannah...like Jammies said really no limit. We could even divide into a couple of groups. Jammies is a great teacher and I could try my hand at it too. Mrs jedimika is thinking of coming out and trying it but I told her to bring a deck of UNO cards as well in case she didn't like it.

17. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Well Appo and I are out for this one guys. When I asked him about it, he reminded me that we have a dinner date with a couple other friends of ours. Some of you met the Mr. who went with us to eat at the Cajun place a couple of years ago. He also goes by the title of Bane. Anyway, we'd made prior dinner plans with him and his Mrs. this Friday.

We'll join you at one of these soon though, of that you can be assured. And a game night at Mrs. Jammies place! Wuuunderful!

You all have a great time on Friday and I can't wait to hear how it went. [face_batting]

18. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    It went well. Mrs jedimika and 11-11 joined us. They played a little UNO while Jammies and I ran a couple of quick games. I got some practice in on my Falcoln mini. Then the ladies joined us for a couple of quick Xwing games and they both really liked it. Of course they won and it's always more fun when you win :)

I went to the tournament Saturday night and took part. About 10 people entered. The bad---I lost all three of my matches so zero points for me. The good--I learned more about the game, I didn't crash my Falcon into any asteroids, I didn't crash my ships into each other and even though I lost every match I was competetive and made people sweat, I got a patch as a participation prize (yay patches!) and I met some great Star Wars fans and made some good contacts. It was a very positive environment. I asked the gent running the tourney to let us/me know whenever they have another event or are just getting together for a big game night.

19. Darth Lupine

Darth Lupine Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2013
    Hey Jedimika, Wolf here, and it was nice playing you in the tourney yesterday! Looking forward to maybe meeting again for some friendly games!

20. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm so happy you all had a great time! I can't wait till I can join you guys! You all are never going to believe what happened to me. I became very ill! :( It started with a sore throat and went into a fever that at one point almost hit 102. I think it was a strep. I never break a fever unless it gets to 102... and it stayed just under that. I am a firm believer in letting the body do what it does best, as it has evolved to know what to do against invaders. I've always gotten over sickness really fast... no proof but I think it's due to the way I let things run. At least until the body tries taking the fight to a detrimental level. Then it's time to put the breaks on. Tylenol anyone? :D

Anyway, we missed our dinner date too. I'm better now, in fact can hardly tell I've been sick at all. That's normal for me and I'm really glad of it.

How late were you all out? Sounds like maybe around 11:00? A perfect evening of gaming. Man I can't wait to join in!

Hi there Wolf! Welcome on board and looking forward to meeting in person.

21. Darth Lupine

Darth Lupine Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2013
    Thanks Zannah, yes I got home around 11. And I definitely look forward to meeting more Star Wars fans!

22. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Hey Wolf! Thanks for making it over here. Welcome.

Wolf was my first match and he was *very* helpful to a first time tournament player. He really set me at ease. Very confident with the rules and very helpful.

23. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I really want to know what squad builds you two used (as I look and ponder what I would use).
    Did you take Luke as a Falcon Gunner? I think he brings a nice punch.

Or is that top secret? Would many Bothans have to die to share that information?

24. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Wolf is an Imperial to the core and fielded a strong 181st Tie team.

I did Chewie in the Falcon (I like his "no crit" ability) with upgrades and Wedge with upgrades. I like the Falcon but I don't know, it still only shoots one a round so I only got two shots a round with two ships. I need to pick my upgrades a bit better too I think. There was someone fielding 2 YTs with an Awing, basic pilots, and I don't think he did too well.

25. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=799

Well, here is a list to check out as you build your squads. I think any squad can beat any other squad as long as you do not do something stupid and your die rolls are good.

How often do you get crits in a ship with so many sheilds? Maybe lando, with co-poliots luke and chewie-- a chance for a second shot, and some free sheilds and assalt missles to hit those tie swarms. Then add Garvin Dreis's xwing so he and lando can stack Focuses on each other with r2 to earn back some sheilds: then 2 pilot upgrades to get to 100--likeDeadeye for lando as he will have focuses anyway And the X-wing Marksmenship, Elusiveness, or Push the limit. Then try to keep the falcon at range 2-3 as Garvin does his thing.

Or not. I dont know. The above squad could get fragged by 8 genaric Tie Acadamy pilots. :_| .