main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Lingering questions from Harry Potter...

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Ghost, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    According to this, she's named after Luna Lovegood. Of course it also cites that it could also be for Remus. I can't find any definite word from JKR about it.

2. its_on_mars

its_on_mars Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2010
    Oh my gosh, Harry Potter fans on a SW website. :)
    Hi guys, i love having conversations/debates about HP.

As for what question I want answers to: Did Rose and Scorpius ever become friends anyway? Possibly lovers later on in life? Because I think that would make a great story line...

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, we love sci-fi and fantasy over here :D

It'd certainly be interesting if they did become friends.

4. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Honestly, over all the years that I've read Harry Potter, this is one thing that still bugs me. Can't figure out why the kid didn't die? Just throw in some inexplicable, reflexive (and kinda sexist) "ancient magic" to save the day! To me it goes completely against the books' premise of magic being a studied, rational art--and while there's nothing to say that's the be-all and end-all of magic, it jars the suspension of disbelief. It's like a card game where one player arbitrarily makes up rules throughout: if you're going to create an imaginary world, please at least keep it consistent. If you're going to add new depth to the role of magic, explain--and actively integrate--that it's not just saying a word and waving a stick.

There are other areas where Rowling uses virtue or integrity as a deciding factor in a particular outcome, which is very difficult to rationalise and put into believable words. I applaud that, however corny it can seem. However, it's not the same as stating straightly that hey, there's this one thing that only works this one time--just because--and then leaving that exception to the rule standing alone. If there were some context for this sort of ancient magic, it would make this part of the books quite a bit easier to stomach. :p

5. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Did you hear that, JKR?! Did--you--hear--that?!

Ahem.

:p

Anyway, I just want to know why in the world Neville wasn't allowed to avenge his parents after we had to feel sorry for him over the course of three books and after he and Bellatrix just magically (haha) ended up in precarious situations together on more than one convenient occasion. Other than that, I'm good. :p

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I'd like to know why Neville and Luna didn't end up together. I mean, yeah, they were different, but they seemed to be heading somewhere in the books. JKR didn't spend so much time on showing them that we know so much about them that it makes total sense for them to just be friends.

7. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Didn't Neville end up with Hannah Abbot? I don't really remember...

It bothers me that a lot of Neville's future seemed a bit rushed after JKR spent a lot of time building up his character and having him evolve into a real hero. During Deathly Hallows, we finally got to see him turn into a leader and someone who could make his parents proud, but...it went absolutely nowhere. I don't even think he was mentioned during the Battle of Hogwarts. Then we show up thirty years later and he's the herbology professor. Woohoo. :p No, I don't mind him becoming the herbology professor. But I mind the lack of closure his character seemed to receive. Especially since he's one of my favorite characters. :p

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, and she wasn't developed at all. She was mostly just a name - we recognize that she's from Hufflepuff.

I think Neville was at the BoH (wielding Gryffindor's sword at some point) though I don't have my copy with me, unfortunately. And I think he'd be a good Herbology prof (that was what he was always interested in) but I agree about the lack of closure. And even the Hannah Abbott thing we know because JKR said it in an interview, not because it was in the story.

9. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Which makes her unworthy of living. Kidding, kidding. :p

That's true, I totally forgot that he got to wield Gryffindor's sword. That was a nice touch, proving he was just as worthy of being in Gryffindor as Harry Potter himself. And it's cool that he ended up the Herbology professor. Still, like I said, the lack of closure was evident.

At least we didn't have to learn what awful name he picked for his kid. :p

10. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Grr. Double post.

11. Revan_Kenobi

Revan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan

Nov 16, 2010
    Going to see Deathly Hallows tonight!

12. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    He chopped off Nagini's head. :p

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Yeah, that was it :D

14. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Harry was just special, that is why he survived. He is the hero. I think naming the kid Albus Severus was fitting. These two men defined his life. Kinda like Luke named his son Ben after the man who trained him to kill his father? Mature Harry understood what these men did for him. My favorite scene was when he told Al that he could chose his destiny. Which for a boy who spent six and a half books running from his then figuring it out was great.

15. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Good riddance, too. [face_laugh]

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I've been re-reading the entire series for the first time, and there is so much foreshadowing for Deathly Hallows in Sorcerer's Stone! It's almost unbelievable. Re-reading them all in order is like seeing an old friend again. :p

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I love rereading :D I always wonder how much of the series she had planned out from the beginning and how much changed when she went along.

18. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I think it's quite evident that she planned out the big, important events and links between the characters so she could have one smooth, clear arc covering seven books, but she also allowed herself enough wiggle room to allow for change and growth while writing - which is quite smart. I know what it's like to be tied hand and foot to an outline, and it sucks. You do need that space for experimentation because once you start setting a story down on paper, it can go wildly different from how you originally saw it.

19. robbiedbee

robbiedbee Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2006
    I remember reading in a magazine years ago (in the buildup to the release of GoF, so 2000ish), that she'd written the final few chapters of the final book already, but had bought a safe to put it in when she realised how big the whole thing was getting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.