main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    *repeated nods of approval during film list*

sssssssSSARISSsss!

Neame Power. Abrams had better get right onto that.

Ulicus , Havac and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Where the hell have you been???

3. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    High in the Custerdome.

The words "Lester" and "Musketeers" together are like a dog whistle for me.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Mentioning them inspired me to rewatch them yesterday. "See the tears?"

Also, while you were gone, The_Four_Dot_Elipsis, you missed this.

Well, time to deploy countermeasures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    13. What are your favorite quotes? (Fictional/said by real people, etc.)

Well, there are a lot of quotes that I've enjoyed at some time or another, but it would be hard to marshal many particular ones at the moment. Pretty much anything ever said by Theodore Roosevelt is highly quotable.

My biggest tendency is to quote from movies, TV, and books. I remember lines pretty well, and something often makes me think of a line from something I love. So I'm a prolific quoter of Anchorman, Seinfeld, In the Loop, Wes Anderson movies, Monty Python . . . pretty much anything.

14. What are your favorite alcoholic drinks? What's your favorite food?

[​IMG]

SYNERGY. But I really do love scotch. It is the best. I also enjoy bourbon. The whiskey family in general comes in for my appreciation. Outside of that, I like brandy, and rum's good but not really anything I seek out. Most forms of spirits I'll drink, though I can't say I'm a fan of tequila. Wine doesn't do a whole lot for me. I like beer, but I generally prefer liquor. I don't like fruity beers or watery Bud crap, but other than that I'll drink a pretty wide variety of beers.

As for food, I must admit that I love pretty much anything that's greasy and unhealthy. I'm big on pizza and burgers. I tend to like more on my pizza than just one topping -- I usually like supreme, though some places have great sausage and mushroom or meat lover's that I get. Pizza without meat is not real pizza. I don't really go in for national chains' pizza; I have a bunch of local places that I like. I especially love Rocky Rococo's, a Wisconsin chain that makes amazing pan pizza. And delicious, delicious breadsticks. Ugh I want Rocky's now.

For burgers, I like mine with lots of toppings. There are some great local joints here, but for chains I love Five Guys, Wendy's, and Culver's the most. Culver's mushroom and swiss is so good . . . and their onion rings . . . goddammit PG, I'm already hungry and you have to spring this on me.

As for other stuff, I like pretty much any variation of pasta you can throw at me. Italian food is the best. I also like Chinese and Mexican. You can tell I'm American. I'm from Wisconsin, so I also like brats and fried fish. I also like my mom's cooking. Casseroles (mmmm, tuna noodle casserole . . .), meatloaf, double-baked potatoes, all that kind of stuff. I also enjoy a good sandwich every now and then.

Of course, the best meal of all is breakfast. If I could find a way to eat pancakes and omelets every day for every meal and not die, I would. Ughhhh PG I hate you. I'm so hungry now.

Point Given likes this.
  6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Waffles>>>>>pancakes. Just saying.

7. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    FOOL.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  8. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005

I take issue with your dismissal of Live and Let Die.

George Martin + Paul McCartney + Yaphett Kotto + Racist Hick Sheriffs + Jane Seymour + Geoffrey Holder + alligators + Moore under the age of 80 is, like, the perfect combo.

9. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    How is J.W. Pepper ever, ever a positive?

10. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Well, he's the least silly thing in TMWTGG.

11. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    You know, in some other world, that the 007 series devolved into a buddy cop series with him and Bond.

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The worst of all possible worlds, yes. :p

Point Given likes this.
  13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I watched most of the Bond films last year, and found myself confused at how anyone could look back on the Moore years fondly. I thought I was just turning into a grumpy old man decades ahead of schedule :p

14. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    15. What were your thoughts when Disney announced the purchase of Lucasfilm? Have they changed since then?

16. If you could re-do canon post NJO, what choices would you make, if any?

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Allow me:

[​IMG]

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not good enough Coop, we, the posters of Lit, a baying mob of unparallelled ferocity, want the full bloody details of how Hav would eviscerate the post-NJO canon!

We wants blood! We wants full rant! No half measures!

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I just have to say it; you just missed an excellent moment to use "Honour be damned!"

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not quite sure how I'd weave that in, but always nice to see a fellow Dante fan!

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    maybe: We wants blood! We wants full rant! No half measures! Honour be damned!

20. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    15. What were your thoughts when Disney announced the purchase of Lucasfilm? Have they changed since then?

"****." They haven't really changed. I'm invested in the Star Wars I have right now. That's what I grew up with, what I own, what I want to see more of. I'm not really interested in having that wiped out just so that we can see annual movie installments that maybe possibly will be any good. My excitement level for the ST is zero. My interest is purely academic. I'm kind of confused why anyone else is excited. I don't see the appeal.

16. If you could re-do canon post NJO, what choices would you make, if any?

Luke retires from the field to focus on traveling around the galaxy training students in a Praxeum ship, and is on the Jedi Council but as one of many equals. Leia trains as a Jedi and joins the Jedi Council. Han takes over from Talon Karrde as head of the information-sharing organization created in HOT, and frequently uses Droma as a contact. There is no split between the Jedi and GA. Jaina serves as Rogue Leader, helping bring the galaxy back to order. Jacen comes back from his Force journey with the combined wisdom of many Force traditions and takes a seat on the Jedi Council relatively young. Ben is apprenticed to Corran Horn and they often work with the police to solve crimes. Cal Omas is eventually replaced by Triebakk through normal elections, who then is succeeded by Releqy A'kla. Novels, comics, and video games focus on sub-galactic conflicts, and the narrative is initially build around rebuilding and stabilizing the galaxy before moving on to exploration and keeping the peace in a time of general stability. The Empire of the Hand merges with the Imperial Remnant and Soontir Fel succeeds Gilad Pellaeon as Grand Admiral and eventually becomes the first Fel emperor. Chak is the second Fel emperor. His son marries somebody Force-sensitive and that's how you get the Legacy Fels. Jaina marries Jag, who serves as an Imperial officer before becoming Galactic Alliance Supreme Commander. Jacen marries Tenel Ka, who reforms Hapes into a republic which she runs, neutering the stupid "stuck in Hapan murder-politics" thread. Ben grows up, explores the Unknown Regions, meets someone perfectly normal, and has sons named Kane and Deak and a Skywalker daughter. We eventually get down to Kol, and Legacy happens pretty much the way it does, except Darth Krayt is some guy who left Luke's order a hundred years ago, Cade actually develops into something, and it's not canceled early. Also, there are Jedi leaders who aren't from the OJO. Other things happen during this period that are cool, and at some point Etahn A'baht is the Supreme Commander because Dorneans have ridiculous lifespans and someone needs to take advantage of that. Maybe Mara dies at some point because I kind of like the widower Luke/Ben dynamic but I'm not sure. Lando is happily retired and maybe dabbles in politics or something, and all the supporting characters get to do cool things and then enjoy retirement. All the things I want happen and the world is perfect.

21. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    That's the alternate universe where Bond became the buddy cop series, isn't it.

cthugha, RC-1991 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  22. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    17. What types of music do you enjoy? What are your favorite bands/artists?

18. What are your favorite TV shows? Why?

23. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    17. What types of music do you enjoy? What are your favorite bands/artists?

I'm not as deep into music as I am most other media; I love to listen to it, but don't delve too deeply into fandom or proclaim sophisticated taste. I was raised listening to country music, which I still enjoy. In that genre, some favorites are Pat Green, Johnny Cash, Gary Allan, Eric Church, Montgomery Gentry, Shooter Jennings, Brad Paisley, Blake Shelton, Jack Ingram, and Luke Bryan. These names will matter to like three people here.

Later on, I got into more and more genres; I'll listen to just about any kind of music now. Pandora was a big part of this, letting me work my way through new genres with just a couple starting points and sort of doing the work of finding new music for me. In high school, I got into rock via my local active rock format radio station. I've kind of moved on from listening to that as much, but I do still enjoy the Foo Fighters, Chevelle, Hurt, Evans Blue, Rise Against, and Three Days Grace I've got on my iTunes. Pandora got me into more modern alternative kind of stuff, which I don't really keep up with so all the bands are from about five years ago or more and it skewed really British for whatever reason, but it's Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs, Oasis, Coldplay, The Killers, Kings of Leon, Snow Patrol, and We Are Scientists kind of stuff . . . I'm casting kind of a wide net there, but that particular Pandora station ended up all over the place.

The main thing that I'm into now is classic rock. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Doors, Tom Petty, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, The Kinks, David Bowie, AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix, The Stooges. I'm having kind of a hard time going to anything else at the moment.

I've also got Pandora stations going for rock and roll (Elvis, Buddy Holly, The Beach Boys, etc) and Sinatra/Martin/big band/jazz stuff that I enjoy, but don't proclaim to know much in-depth about.

18. What are your favorite TV shows? Why?

MAD MEN. I really don't watch that much TV actively. I watch Castle because Nathan Fillion, and I've started watching Person of Interest occasionally because Uli and LI have recommended it, but I don't really appointment-watch TV and I don't have cable anyway. And so I've basically missed out on the quality-cable-TV boom, which is something I'm trying to catch up on. Mad Men is my first step in that direction, and it's blown me away. Easily the best thing I've ever seen on TV. Then there's stuff like 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, and How I Met Your Mother that I see mostly in syndication and enjoy, but haven't made the effort to catch up on systematically yet, and will surely at some point end up buying the discs and going through the entire run.

So the rest of the list is going to look kind of old. I love Firefly, which is just incredibly fun and witty adventure with a great cast. Seinfeld is pretty much the funniest show ever and I could watch it endlessly. The last couple seasons haven't been as satisfying, but the American version of The Office was great at its peak. Spaced, Simon Pegg's TV series, is a great little slice of nerd perfection. I supposed Band of Brothers also counts as TV, and it's incredibly great storytelling.

Between the fact that I grew up watching a ton of TV Land and Nick at Nite, and the new boom in broadcasting retro-TV stations as digital additions to local networks meaning that old TV shows are frequently the best thing on if I ever flick the TV on during the day, I also have a lot of love for really old classics. I Love Lucy and The Dick Van Dyke Show completely hold up today as hilarious. All in the Family is great classic TV. I have fond memories of watching a ton of Bewitched and Gilligan's Island as a kid. There are a ton of old sitcoms I could list . . . Cheers, The Cosby Show, The Andy Griffith Show, M*A*S*H. There's also some really great extra-old drama buried on those digital retro-TV networks late at night. The Twilight Zone, The Naked City, Route 66. I've also got to point out my love for the awesome 1970s private-eye drama The Rockford Files, which manages to combine great action with a protagonist who, while charming (he's James Garner . . . of course he's charming) isn't the smooth, suave, badass private eye of earlier fiction, but a fast-talking con man type who frequently gets beaten up, tries to avoid fights, and is perpetually down on his luck because he's always getting screwed by the system. He lives in a trailer on the beach, perpetually hounded by creditors and perpetually stiffed by his clients, perpetually dragged into trouble by his well-meaning trucker dad and his con-artist ex-cellmate, perpetually leaning on his police detective best friend or sometimes-girlfriend lawyer to get him out of jams. It's incredibly fun, mixing humor and action (best car chases on TV) with observant social commentary, and the Writers' Guide of America ranked it the fifty-eighth best-written show of all time -- above Freaks and Geeks, South Park, Monty Python's Flying Circus, The Defenders, Justified, Band of Brothers, The Prisoner, Boardwalk Empire, Louie, The Muppet Show, and Lonesome Dove.

Here, watch the pilot (note that the actor playing his father was replaced with the thousand-times superior Noah Beery, Jr. for the series):

24. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I also grew up listening to country music too, Havac, so I have actually heard of all of those names, though I hardly ever listen to it anymore.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm too far behind to respond to everything on a cell phone, so I'll just leave it at thus for now: you've never played TIE?!

Fix this. Immediately. No excuses.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

Edit also your vision of the post NJO omits the IWoD. Unacceptable. (However, the fact that IWoD is in my phones autocorrect dictionary pleased me greatly).

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.