main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Great photo.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Re: Net identities

I used 2 aliases as it was generally, pre-Facebook, not deemed a good idea to use your real name as - shades of Dresden Files here - who knows what someone might do with it? ;)

I'm pretty much in agreement with Hav, I need a gap between life and online activity. Facebook? Uh uh, no way, it's a nice idea in theory but look how it's worked out in practice. It's got to a point where companies look at your Facebook page to decide whether or not to hire you! That's wrong on multiple levels and is, I suspect, more likely than anything to kill the steady stream towards free and easy disclosure of information online. Give it a few years and some companies will be going: We've got this application but there's bugger all info about him online! Uh, yeah - why do you think that is? Action, reaction and so on.

Meeting up with people you've been talking stuff with online for years offline is often a whole lot of fun. Not least because, net personas aside that I really don't get in the main, it's amazing how much someone's personality is accurately reflected in the online self they choose to present. For all people have of this notion that people are duplicitous, game-playing scumbags online I haven't found any truth to it.

Then again I'm active here, primarily Lit and another board and both have a Mod policy that says: You will get the crap kicked out of you if you act like a git, it isn't very hard to not act like a git therefore don't do it! After a while that becomes self-reinforcing on a community level and the Mods get to sit their backsides and enjoy posting again.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Now hold on. I want to hear about that second one. The time you and Troy met up at a bar, he offered you that sweet gig cowriting Jacen's 5 year mission trilogy, and you got wasted and made a crack pun about the 1-armed Twi'lek, lost your single opportunity at fame, and have been bitter ever since.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No, I met the other writer who lives in Wisconsin.

5. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Let's go with post-FOTJ book trilogy. Mine has been the same for a few years now; the only thing the end of FOTJ did was make me wonder if I had to annoyingly work Mortis in somehow.

6. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Any chance I'm going to run into you in the JJM line at Geek Kon?

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    25) If the Senate voted you emergency powers to handle the boards, what would you do differently?

26) Which Star Wars character (movie, EU, etc) do you most identify with?

8. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    27) How do you think Lit's relationship with VIP posters has changed since you first joined the boards?

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    28) Which non-human species is your favourite and/or do you want to see more of?

10. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    29.) Havac, you rightly mentioned the greatness of Darth Sidious in one of your previous answers. I would invite you to expound upon your admiration and complete subservience to His Imperial Majesty as a character, antagonist, and galactic savior; impart some wisdom to the heretical and rebellious.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    30. This is a lot of questions, huh?

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Luke training students on a Praxeum ship wandering the galaxy. Ben on a joint mission into the Unknown Regions. Jaina and Jag involved in chaos in the Empire. Leia on the Jedi Council. Soontir Fel.

. . . basically, it looks like my post-NJO outline, but adapted to fit continuity.

Well, informing me of its existence certainly improved your chances. I don't normally go to cons because they're not really my thing in general, and I have a wedding out of town in the middle of that anyway . . . but if you want to run into me outside the con, let me know.

Not that much. I think they're run pretty well, and I can't really think of anything that's ever bugged me in "Man, I would love to change that" terms.

I don't know. I don't tend to identify extremely closely with characters . . . I'm the most invested in the X-wing characters and Han . . . let's say Wedge, Han, Jacen, Obi-Wan, Ben, Jag, and Corran, whom I don't even like as much as most of the others but I guess I identify really strongly with.

Well, I signed up right in the middle of the Traviss affair, so I guess they can only go up from there. Really, I think the fundamentals are still the same. Lit likes having VIPs here, there are beloved VIPs who are a huge part of the community and get along great with Lit, and those VIPs whose work doesn't click with the community or is really controversial don't tend to stick around. If anything's responsible for a change, I think it's been the diminishing response to the work that's been put out.

I like having aliens around a lot, but I've never really latched onto particular species. I guess I'm inclined to be really interested in the Chiss, because we've seen enough of their culture that there's something to get interested in, and they're an important, mysterious faction living in a neat part of the galaxy, and we know just enough about them to get me hungry to see more of the picture.

The NR patriot in me also has to love the Mon Calamari. I'm maybe more attached to them emotionally than most other species. I'm kind of partial to Wookiees, too, though I get tired of seeing them overused.

Most of my feelings about aliens aren't so much partiality as it is reaction to their facetime. I'm sick of seeing a billion Twi'leks all the time as everyone's go-to alien, and I'd like to see more of species that are supposed to be important and widespread, like Duros and Khils, or that have neat histories or OOU nostalgia cred, like Herglics. Or if a species is culturally interesting, like the Hutts, I want to see more of them because I want to explore that culture and history.

Darth Sidious is the greatest Sith Lord of all time. He is insanely powerful, with unrivaled mastery of the dark side, creating new techniques and abilities at will. He should be portrayed at all times as incredibly cunning, subtle, powerful, and cultured, and as the absolute pinnacle of sophisticated evil. This is because he is the greatest archvillain in the galaxy and one of the greatest pure-evil archvillains of all time. Nothing should be done to diminish him as a character or minimize the threat he posed to the galaxy as the greatest dark side menace of all time, a schemer so talented, so successful, so unutterably powerful that he was able to assume control of the galaxy through guile and popular support rather than force, rule to popular acclaim, and corrupt the galaxy so thoroughly and so securely that he would have annihilated it utterly, absorbing all life into himself and dooming the galaxy forever, that only the intervention of Luke and Anakin Skywalker, the only beings powerful enough to defeat him and important enough to him to have the opportunity, could save the galaxy from utter ruin.

I hate you.

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    It's now time for our sixth interviewee, dp4m

dp4m

1. Time for the username question! Why did you choose it? Has it always been your username, or did you go by a different one in the past?

2. Where are you originally from? Are you currently living there, or did you move elsewhere?

3. What do you do for a living?

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

These will all be slightly easy for me.

1) This is the username I've always had. It was my login at college and they changed how they assigned them I believe in my sophomore year (as opposed to the easily identifiable first initial-last initial-two random alphanumerics) to something more reasonable. As they were never going to be recycled and fairly unlikely to be used in error (except potentially in Denmark apparently), I just kept using it so people could find me.

2) I'm a New Yorker.

3) I am your walking stereotype: the New York, Jewish, banker (though I work in IT).

15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Short and to the point. Not at all like your avatar :p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

The Nameless one can be very straight forward. ;)

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    PS - "I am your walking stereotype" can be sung like this if desired:

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    What a great movie.

Gorefiend and dp4m like this.
  19. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    4. Is there any Star Wars era that you prefer? (Old Republic, Clone Wars, NJO, etc) Are there any that you could do without?

5. Who are your Star Wars characters (in any form of media)? Why?

20. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Not when I play him. That guy asks so many questions that he'd make Commander Shepard blush.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

If you had to pin me down to a favorite, it's the Galactic Civil War era. Those are the movies that got me hooked; it encompasses all of the stuff I loved (and I include The Han Solo Adventures in there) and included West End Games, which I played an immense amount of time as well as really, really starting the fully-fleshing out of the "bible" for the overall canon of the GFFA. Plus, I can look back fondly of the Super Star Destroyer being a reasonable length instead of it's extremely-long penis-envy size now.

That isn't to say that I don't really love at least parts of the other eras. I really and truly didn't like The New Jedi Order, but I commended (and still do) Del Rey/Random House for the quality and diversity of writers they tried to get to write for the series even if some of those books ended up not great. Similarly, with The Clone Wars project -- some of the books weren't my cup of tea (and some weren't others' cups of tea), but I really and truly appreciated the idea of "what happens if we run out our novels in completely different styles?" (military sci-fi, a Heart of Darkness-esque bottle episode, squad based tactical combat, etc.). I'm also unabashedly a Bantam fan from way back, as well as Dark Empire as Luke-as-badass is awesome always (even if he turned to the Dark Side, sorry ChildOfWinds)

I'd say if I could leave an era, it'd be The Old Republic -- I played the games, the novels and MMORPG are "eh" (though I apparently liked Red Harvest a lot more than others did) but the original CRPG is still of the awesome. Meatbags.

Luke's my homeboy.

As in high school "yearbook picture" homeboy (see ChildOfWinds I still love you!).

I have a lot of love for a bunch of other characters (shooting-first Han, Leia, droids, most of Ben, Anakin Solo, YJK-Jacen, Bey, Ulic) but everything for me revolves around an upstanding, moral and wise Jedi Master Luke.

However, I will take this opportunity to give a shout-out to the greatest thing ever to come from the comics:

[​IMG]

22. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    6. What places have you traveled to? Which one is your favorite?

7. What are your favorite sports teams?

8. What are your favorite types of music? Which artists/bands do you like the most?

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Answers later tonight or tomorrow, but can anyone -- anyone?!? -- guess the answer(s) to 7 above? ;)

24. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I can figure it out, assuming you pick the correct* New York teams of course :p

correct = my favorite teams

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I suspect I will disappoint you in NFL Football.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.