main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Mind Trick would be cool to get out of things and save money. "I already paid for this!"

I don't know why things like this aren't considered the epitome of dark side at its most petty and venal.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Point Given 18. What is your favorite alcoholic beverage/concoction?

19. Which American presidents do you most admire?

(I know, I know, I'm sooo original :p )

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I want to know which Chechen presidents he most admires.

instantdeath and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  4. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    He thought you'd never ask.

And I forgot this:
    Read The ABC Murders if you haven't already.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I will when I get the chance. Going through Marsh's books right now.

18. Traditional beers I like are Guinness, Yuengling, and Newcastle. I've never really been a wine guy, but I do like tropical drinks like daiquiris and Mai Tais. In terms of mixed drinks, I've always liked the old Jack and Coke and Rum and Coke staples but I'm also a big fan of Mint Juleps, which I first got to try in North Carolina.

19. Lincoln and the Roosevelts (which would be a great band name) are my favorite presidents. Lincoln and FDR both had to deal with horrible circumstances, with a civil war, depression and world war, while Teddy had to deal with the aftermath of the McKinley assassination and take on corporations as well as helping consumers with increased regulation. There are some presidents I'm torn about, mainly Johnson and Nixon, who were awful human beings and probably cheated to get where they were, but who accomplished a lot while in office that was generally good. (FDR also counts as a pretty crappy person who did a lot, though I don't recall him cheating on elections) Anyway because I'm the Ross Perot of lists.

Popular presidents who I dislike a lot are Jefferson, Madison, Wilson, and Kennedy.

1. Abraham Lincoln
    2. Theodore Roosevelt
    3. Franklin Roosevelt
    4. George Washington
    5. Dwight Eisenhower
    6. Harry Truman
    7. James Polk
    8. Lyndon Johnson
    9. William McKinley
    10. Grover Cleveland

6. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

1. Sergey Abramov
    2. Akhmad Kadyrov
    3. Alu Alkhanov
    4. Ramzan Kadyrov

Sergey was only acting president, but he was least crappy out of the four. Ramzan is a human rights criminal and Alkhanov stole the election. I don't know much about Akhmad.

:p

instantdeath likes this.
  7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I...agree?

Point Given likes this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Point Given

20. What is your ideal sundae?

21. What would you do if you won the lottery?

9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I think we could make a game of choosing a random country and having PG tell us his favorite presidents from it.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I get extra questions! :D

20. I think a sundae by itself would be ideal for me, but I once had a brownie sundae at some place near NYU which was absolutely divine.

21. I wouldn't do much to be honest. I mean I'd probably move to either the West Village or the DUMBO area, but I wouldn't splurge on much. I've heard too many stories of lottery winners going bust because they couldn't stop spending, and I don't want to be like that. I'd probably end up paying for my siblings college educations as well, and take some nice vacations abroad.

s65horsey likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I try not to have a set amount of questions. Don't worry though, I won't keep you much longer. ;)

22. What's the funniest thing you've ever seen/done?

12. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I call Guatemala.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It's like we're lottery twins! (although in my case it'd be nieces and nephews vs. siblings)

s65horsey likes this.
  14. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    It wasn't that funny at the time, but now, looking back, it's one of my favorite memories from college.

I went to college out in Long Island at Stony Brook University. It has a fairly big frat scene, and though I've never been a frat guy, I attended some parties where I knew some of the people in it. One party, in my sophomore year, was at Zeta Beta Tau which had a frat house right by the mall. It's a really stupid place to throw a party, given that it's near a popular place full of mall security and regular cops. I'm surprised we ended up making it 3 hours at the party before the cops showed up, but they did, right when everyone was hammered.

About half the party was in the house and most of them got busted since they couldn't escape. The rest, including me and my friends, were outside so we were able to make a run for it. The catch was that the backyard was fully enclosed by a big fence since the frat brothers had some previous trouble with raccoons in the woods, so we decided to jump part of the fence that looked broken. It was broken but it was sticking out on the other side, so when I jumped my khakis got caught on the fence, and the downward momentum took care of the rest.

Thankfully it was only one leg that got completely torn. But my best friend, James, got both caught, and torn apart so he's suddenly in his boxers. Worse, all his stuff is in his pants, hanging on the fence and the cops are starting to come around the corner. Thankfully since were in the middle of the pack there were people behind us, so we hear "Yo bro! Your wallet and your phone in your pockets?" Then he throws them at James who manages to catch them even though it's pitch black outside and everyone is running.

Anyway, we take off into the woods, and immediately run into branches, bushes and trees until we're sure we're safe. Then we realize two things. One, we don't know where we are, and two, we could have easily gone to the mall. So we trek back the long way to avoid the police and finally locate the mall. We're all scratched up from the woods, I have one pant leg and one bare, James is just in his boxers and there are cops all around the house.

We ended up just strolling by, James and I hidden by our other friends so the cops didn't get suspicious and called a cab. The problem was, that everyone was calling cabs so we waited an extra hour until the cabbie came. Our cabbie was probably drunk but we just wanted to get home. We all ended up singing Cher's "Believe" on the ride home, including the cabbie.

ZBT ended up having three more parties before they changed houses. They all were broken up by the cops, but we had learned our lesson and never attended any of ZBT's events again.

15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    [face_laugh] That's such a great story. I know some people who went to Stony Brook, so am aware of its more unsavory aspects.

And that's the end of the interview! Give a hand for Point Given. =D= We'll continue in a day or so with Trip.

In the meantime, the floor is now open for anyone else to ask PG any questions.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No Jackson? Ugh. If you're calling out ridiculously overpopular awful presidents, you have to call out Jackson.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  17. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Is Jackson that popular? Almost the first thing you hear about him is the Trail of Tears.

But yeah I also dislike Jackson.

Edit: Not that anyone cares but I replaced Nixon with McKinley on my list and switched McKinley and Cleveland around.

18. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    He's ridiculously popular. Jacksonian democracy! He's all crucial and historical and popular as opposed to elitist! He was a "great" president, and it's just too bad that he had that Indian blind spot.

It's just that his policies sucked, his populism was stupid, and his approach to the presidency was repugnant. Yeah, he was historical, but his historical influence was bad.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Durrr, let's cancel the national bank because I'm stupid and bad at managing money so maybe if we don't think about it it'll all be okay!

Jackson was a brainless, gutless moron. That's right, he's a coward. He didn't have the courage to swallow his racism and be a decent person.

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You guys realize he's dead, right?

21. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

You're asking for a Godwin there :p

22. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    "Paying back loans sucks! Banks should just give people money and they shouldn't have to pay it back! Greedy bastards, not giving us free money!"

Ladies and gentlemen, the origins of modern American fiscal policy.

23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Don't blame me, I would have been a John Quincy Adams supporter. :p

--Adm. Nick

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Of course, John Q. Adams -- once elected -- proved to be a traitor to the Federalist cause. He -- raised in that fine tradition -- betrayed it for political favor and power, and was harsher on his former colleagues and compatriots than even Madison and Monroe were!

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Pfft, you and I both know that the Federalists had lost there way by this point. And, whether you even agree with that, I think even you would elect JQA over Jackson. :p

--Adm. Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.