main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Come to the dark side, we have unlimited Anglo-Saxon! :)

Barriss_Coffee and CooperTFN like this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I meat uncharacteristic for here. :p

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, there's lots of ways to swear here....

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    9. What are your favorite Star Wars books, and books in general?

10. Expanding on that, who are your favorite authors, in and out of Star Wars?

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Like a sailor? That might shed some light on your love-hate relationship with fish. Like sailors, you hold a high level of respect, even reverence, for fish, but have absolutely no problem stabbing them and eating them :cool:

Also, I'm now imagining a foul mouthed Ackbar. It's not pretty.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    9. What are your favorite Star Wars books, and books in general?

My favorite Star Wars books are, in no particular order, Heir to the Empire, Before the Storm, X-wing: Rogue Squadron, X-wing: Isard's Revenge, Star by Star, Destiny's Way, and The Unifying Force. These books capture the very best of the Expanded Universe. As for books in general, I read TONS of history & biographies. John Adams by David McCullough, Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick, Union 1812 by A.J. Languth, The Big E by Edward P. Stafford, Franklin and Winston by Jon Meacham, and Six Frigates by Ian W. Toll. Honestly, I love reading in general. My bookshelf in my living room probably have 100 non-SW books on it, to say nothing of the SW ones.

10. Expanding on that, who are your favorite authors, in and out of Star Wars?

Star Wars: Mike Stackpole, Aaron Allston, James Luceno, John Ostrander, KMac, John Jackson Miller.
    Non-Star Wars: David McCullough, Jon Meacham, John Ferling, Nathaniel Philbrick, Max Hastings

--Adm. Nick

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm getting visions of some mod-type editing a post with "You're ****ing banned now."

Northern California sounds like a paradise, BTW.

8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    No Bacta War? We're fighting.

9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I almost listed the entire X-wing series as a whole. For what it is worth, your avatar is my second favorite pilot, after Wedge Antilles. :D

--Adm. Nick

CooperTFN likes this.
  10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I only just realized that he didn't ask me favorite books, so I regrettably didn't get a chance to extol TBW's many virtues.

11. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Sorry Coop!

11. You're one of the lucky few to have a EU character named after you. (Admiral Nict from the original Legacy comics those not in the know) What was your reaction to seeing him? Did John and Jan inform you beforehand?

12. How would you rank the Star Wars movies?

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    11. You're one of the lucky few to have a EU character named after you. (Admiral Nict from the original Legacy comics those not in the know) What was your reaction to seeing him? Did John and Jan inform you beforehand?

Ah, Admiral Nict. That remains to this day one of those things that brings a smile to my face. A little background first. As folks who know me well can attest, I am a big fan of the Rebel Alliance/New Republic/Galactic Alliance. I was initially bummed that the GA didn't appear in the initial arc of Legacy, but during this time I struck up a online dialouge with John Ostrander. I would always pepper him with questions about the GA, and he would always tell me to be patient and that eventually they would appear. Flash forward to Legacy #9-10, the first appearance of Gar Stazi and the GA. I instantly latched on to Stazi's character. I chatted quite a bit via PM with John about the GA, so he knew how much I loved that part of the series. Flash forward to the Indomitable arc and the following issue #22. John is on record here on the boards stating that Stazi & the GA's popularity convinced him to bring them into the series in a bigger way, so this was in effect the "grand debut" of the Alliance. When the first solicitation came out for #20, I started sending PM's to John saying how excited I was, as well as trying to get some hints. John, the cunning old author he is, resisted my best attempts. However, one day I got home from work and had a new PM from John. He basically said that he wanted to name a character after me, as a friendly nod to my being a major fan of the GA and Stazi. He said something to the affect of "Your character will be a GA officer and die in a blaze of glory." I was very honored and touched that John decided to do this. However, he did mention that it would have to pass approval by Randy Stradley. So I didn't know the ultimate outcome until I picked up issue #20, and saw Admiral Nict and his Pride of Corellia join Stazi's call for a fighting retreat. I loved that John made Nict a friend of Stazi's, which made his death all the more poiniant.

For a longtime afterwards, whenever some GA related appeared in Legacy, many of my fellow Litizens would post "ATTN, NICK" in the thread title. In alot of ways, my identity as a Ackbar fan is almost outstripped by my love the Stazi, the Legacy-era GA, and the entire comic series. :p

In all, one of the best parts of Legacy for me was the friendly relationship I struck with John Ostrander. He is a fantastic author, a true EU fan, a kind hearted man, and one of the best things to happen to the Expanded Universe. Period.

12. How would you rank the Star Wars movies?

Hmm. In terms of overall quality, I would rank them as TESB, ANH, ROTJ, ROTS, TPM, AOTC. Return of the Jedi is my personal favorite, obviously, due to it featuring Admiral Ackbar, the Alliance Navy, and the climactic Battle of Endor. But NOTHING beats the overall tone and feel of TESB. Everything about that movie is amazing. If they ever decide to make a new Special Edition that edits the end to show a larger Rebel fleet, with Ackbar & Home One making a brief appearance, it would be flawfless. :D

-Adm. Nick

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Havac and the others replace curse words with pants. Nick replaces everything with curse words.

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Double post. Stupid internet. Nick, please replace this post with the most vile sequence of curse words in your vocabulary.

What the frell? Stop that stang immediately. Keep this frak up and you will be cleaning the admiral's mess! [face_skull]

--Adm. Nick

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In Nick's absence I will fill as best I am able....

ID, you're a lazy frelling frakker feckwit and a Gruddamn drokking embarrassment to Lit!

There, happy now? :)

instantdeath likes this.
  16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm not weeping. I should be weeping.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't worry, the Admiral will likely be along to give you a proper slapping!

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  18. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    13. I probably should have asked about your favorite movies outside of Star Wars, so consider this that question.

14. Which Presidents do you most admire? Why?

19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    [face_tee_hee][face_shame_on_you][face_tee_hee]

--Adm. Nick

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    13. I probably should have asked about your favorite movies outside of Star Wars, so consider this that question.

Gosh, where to begin. The Godfather Trilogy, the Back to the Future Trilogy, and LOTR are all sagas that I love. And the Christopher Nolan Batman films. THOSE are epic. Ditto for the original six Star Trek movies, which I grew up on. In terms of comedies, I love Anchorman, Old School, and pretty much anything with Will Ferrell. Older movies like The Sting and others of that genre are amazing. As you can imagine, a history/military buff like myself watches a lot of movies in those genres. Gettysburg, Saving Private Ryan, and just about any WWII are among my favs. The Crossing, with Jeff Daniels, is a great movie on a basic budget that depicts the war councils of George Washington leading up to the crossing of the Delaware.

My truly favorite movie? I would pick 1776. A Tony award winning musical about the signing of the Declaration of Independence, with William Daniels starring as John Adams. THIS movie is what inspired my early love of the American Revolution and was a big factor in my majoring in American history in college. It is funny, witty, serious, and somber, as well as pretty good in terms of historical accuracy. I watch this movie every Independence Day.

14. Which Presidents do you most admire? Why?

Hmm, in terms of the true greats, I would say Washington, Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, and JFK. Of course, that list probably is the short list of most Americans, so that isn't very informative. As you might gather above, my favorite Founding Father is John Adams. One of the greatest men of his generation, who more than any other member of the Second Continental Congress is the, "Colossus of Independence", to quote one delegate. Adams was the earliest vocal supporter of independence, vociferously arguing in it's favor, and ultimately was the man who rose to argue for it's adoption on July 1st, 1776. Adams speech, which is sadly lost to the ages, moved the uncommitted delegates to support the measure.

Now, we all know that Adams goes on to be first Vice President and second President of the United States. And, he is not remembered as a great president, due to some truly bad decisions like the Alien & Sedition Acts. However, for the following reasons, I maintain Adams was a man who served his country well in it's highest office:
    1. During the Quasi-French War, he stood up to the High Federalists in his own party who wanted war with France. A war that, given the weak state of the new Union would of been a catastrophe. He rightly steered a course that avoided outright war, but didn't sacrifice American honor.
    2. Adams was the first President to focus on building a Navy in a large scale way, completing the six frigates ordered under Washington and expanding the fleet. He established the post of Secretary of the Navy and the officers and ships that came into being under the Adams Administration were core to America's successes in the War of 1812. He is truly the father of the American Navy.
    3. Adams was a fiercely independent man, one who didn't put party ahead of country. This cost him re-election, but he kept his honor and serves as an example that there are great men & women who put their principles before their own desires.
    4. When Adams lost the election of 1800, he made no fuss and no contention. He left the capital quietly on inauguration day. This, in the modern way we view things, is an almost forgettable event. HOWEVER, it was the first peaceful transition of power in American history between two different political parties and Adams set the tone.
    The following quote of Adams has sustained me on many an occasion. And I quote:

Well said, Mr. Adams. [face_flag]

--Adm. Nick

21. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    That's a great quote. I recently finished watching the HBO John Adams series and loved his comment, speaking of Abigail, "I cannot believe that God would create a creature such as she to merely live and die on the Earth" (or something close to that effect).

22. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    15. What are your favorite Star Wars eras? (NJO, Clone Wars, New Sith Wars etc) Are there any you dislike?

16. Besides Ackbar, Stazi and Nict, who are your favorite Star Wars characters? Are you still going to name your first born Ackbar Jon Stazi? :p

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    15. What are your favorite Star Wars eras? (NJO, Clone Wars, New Sith Wars etc) Are there any you dislike?

The Galactic Civil War, the NJO, the early Republic period, and the Legacy comics era. I never really cared much for the Clone Wars, but that is probably due to the era being oversaturated in recent years. In terms of what I would like to see moving forward, I would love to learn more about the founding of the Republic. A comic or book series set there would be awesome.

16. Besides Ackbar, Stazi and Nict, who are your favorite Star Wars characters? Are you still going to name your first born Ackbar Jon Stazi? :p

Ackbar Jon Stazi! Dear God sir, you have done your research. I recall joking about that in a thread once, so well played. =D=

In terms of other favorites, Wedge Antilles at the top. I have always identified with Wedge and he, along with Ackbar, are my two favorite characters from the OT. Wedge is great because he is a hotshot pilot who doesn't act like some fool from Tog Gun. He is devoted, serious, and carries a lot of burdens. He is the everyman of the Rebellion, one who has rose from a rookie X-wing pilot to general to fleet commander. If Denis Lawson doesn't appear as an aged Wedge Antilles, leading Republic forces in the Sequel Trilogy, I will picket the movies. :p

Obi-Wan Kenobi is without a doubt my favorite Jedi. Sir Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor played the role fantastically with just the right balance of humor and sadness. I liked Cal Omas before the OOU character assassination he suffered in the post-NJO. Zayne Carrick is one of the best written EU characters of the past decade. Tycho Celchu is another one of those characters who you can't help but love and his friendship with Wedge is the ultimate bromance. Prior to the train wreck that was LOTF & FOTJ, Jaina Solo was a big favorite of mine. She technically still is, but I just can't stand the way current authors write her and the stupid plots she keeps getting put in.

--Adm. Nick

ma_petite likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Please ask your questions after the interview

25. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    17. What are your hopes for the sequel trilogy? What do you think about the selection of J.J. Abrams and Michael Arndt for director and screenwriter?

18. If you could re-do canon post NJO, what choices would you make, if any?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.