main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Lone Female Jedi- the Totally Unofficial Kerra Holt and Knight Errant Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by dewback_rancher, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    I searched for a Kerra Holt fan club, but to my absolute shock, I have yet to find one- so that was something I HAD to rectify. Never started a fan club here before, so forgive me if I bungle this a bit. ;)

Anyways, with the release of Knight Errant and all its associate material, I've become a HUGE Kerra Holt fan. She's pretty without being a supermodel, she's confident without being cocky, she's intelligent without having all the answers, she's competent without being a female Luke Skywalker- in short, she's the kind of hero that stands out in Star Wars, a female protagonist done right. Moreover, Knight Errant has an incredible setting- the New Sith Wars are the Republic's Dark Age. With the Republic walled off in the core, the Sith all too busy fighting amongst themselves, and the people left to fend for themselves, the New Sith Wars are a galaxy gone mad.

And like with Luke Skywalker and the OT before (or would that be AFTER? :confused: ) her, when the darkness is deepest, each individual light shines all the brighter. One Jedi can make a world of difference. What can I say? A New Hope is my favorite SW film, and while Kerra can't (for continuity reasons- see the Darth Bane novels, Jedi vs. Sith, and basically anything else covering the era) single-handedly help win the NSW like Luke was so integral to winning the Galactic Civil War, she CAN do something JUST as important: remind the people that "hope" and "light" are more than just words for long-forgotten concepts, that they can dare to dream of a better age, to again give them the courage to do more than just try to scrape by. While it'll be up to Lord Hoth and the Army of Light (with a little backstage help from Darth Bane) to finally end the New Sith Wars a generation later, Kerra can show the people out there, forgotten by the Republic, downtrodden by the Sith, that despite what the Sith want them to think, the Jedi have never for a moment forgotten them. Been unable to do much, yes- but never have they forgotten. And it's up to their own hometown hero, a gal who grew up in the very sector Knight Errant takes place in, to show them that.

I mean, I was incredibly excited (to the point of babbling about Knight Errant not only to anyone who would listen, but half the people who WOULDN'T to boot! [face_laugh] ) about Knight Errant prior to its release, and with each new issue or add-on to the project, the people behind Knight Errant have done nothing but wildly exceed all my expectations in every way. They've just blown my (already dang high!) expectations clean out of the water. =D=

And it's all of this together that has catapulted Kerra Holt up my list of favorite characters to tie the Jedi Exile as my all-time favorite female protagonist ever to come out of Star Wars (and my sixth-favorite character overall), after only one issue, a short story, and an Atlas addition. To quote JJM's production notes on Knight Errant: Aflame #1: "...it remains a series about a very bleak place, but the fire of defiance burns brightly in Kerra. She's a perpetual-motion machine. No one but a self-starter would last very long in Sith space alone!" :D

So, let's hear it from my fellow Knight Errant and Kerra Holt fans!
    *space crickets chirp*
    ....anyone? [face_worried]

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    You're right this is definitely needed! I haven't had a chance to see the comics yet other than the preview from C5, but I can't wait! Hopefully my mom will bring them to me when I see her next week.

One thing to be considerate of is to highlight-to-read anything that would be a spoiler. So usually when a comic comes out in the Legacy thread we try to highlight for a week or so or until we know all in the discussion have read the comic that are going to read it as they come out.

3. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    I did try to avoid directly discussing anything in that first post- and besides, Things From Another World has yet to deliver my copy of the second issue, so I can't really spoil it yet, can I? ;)

But yes- when it comes, I'll make sure to highlight any KE:A #2 spoilers. I'm getting pretty good at remembering to do that consistently. And even when I screw up, I always make sure to read my post one last time after posting, so I have yet to accidentally let them slip for long. ;)

4. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I like Kerra Holt so far, for sure.

Although, Damian and Odion are both really interesting characters in their own right, too. [face_mischief]

5. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Then maybe we can get a mod to change the title to 'Lone Female Jedi- the Totally Unofficial Kerra Holt and Knight Errant Fan Club'. To allow discussion of KE's totally karked-in-the-head Sith brothers. ;)

6. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    It makes sense, since Lone Female Jedi was the code name for the whole project, not just her. :p

7. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    So, shall I go bug a mod to rename it, or can someone else cover that for me?

8. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I could, if you haven't already.

9. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
  10. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Thanks, 'Sey!

11. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Thanks a million, Sey! =D=

Anyways, finally got to finish reading JJM's notes for the first issue, and I had to laugh out loud at the Kinetic Corruptor being based on that easily-lost wing strut from the old Kenner TIE Fighter- since I have one of those sitting on my bookshelf. I knew that thing looked familiar, I just couldn't place it for some reason. [face_laugh]

12. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I had the same reaction when I read that! I hated those things so much, they were always breaking or getting lost. It seemed totally approiate to me that it would be the model for a planet destroying weapon.

13. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Given that the junk pile in front of my bookshelf I keep the thing on is, like, shin deep at least, I'm ALWAYS losing that dang thing- basically every time the bookshelf gets jarred, my TIE falls off, and the thing snaps off. It's like clockwork. [face_laugh]

14. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_laugh]

I love JJM's notes. Looks like he's planning on putting some out for the Essential Atlas piece, too.

15. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I was hoping someone would start a Kerra/KE fan club!

[image=http://images.darkhorse.com/darkhorse/index_images/news/madison.jpg]

I've really enjoyed the comics so far and, like you mentioned in the first post, I'm excited to see a "female protagonist done right." :D

16. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Kickass picture! =D=

And glad to see this place is boomin' so soon! I seriously love the comic and the characters therein. Knight Errant's just such a wonderful project all around!

17. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    That's a pretty cool picture, there. Good Kerra impersonation.

18. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    She did a great job! That's from the Dark Horse Blog written by the official Kerra costumer at Celebration V.

Silly thing to notice, but Kerra has had more wardrobe changes in two issues than some characters get in an entire run, LOL. Which is great! I like the versatility - makes it more realistic...for a girl, that is. ;)

19. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Sign me up, Dewback. I can't yet say she's my favorite female protagonist in SW (yet) as she still has yet to surpass young Leia in my mind. But I love what JJM is doing with her and KE in general.

I agree. Kerra shows immense promise and I love the art although I do wonder if not making Kerra a sex-pot would effect sales of the comic. If she were "hotter" would the comic have more buzz? (not that I want her any other way than she is)

I also gotta say I love the half-baked philosophies of Diamon and Odion. They're so twisted they could eat soup with a cork screw.;)

20. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    I gotta note that Kerra's TIED for the spot of my favorite female protagonist with the Jedi Exile. Both of them are wonderful characters, IMHO, especially since the vast majority of comic and video game protagonists are male. I feel weird saying this as a guy, but I CHEERED when the Exile was canonically confirmed to be female. Made the character as a whole a lot more awesome IMHO- all that philosophical insight mixed with some of my favorite lines in a Star Wars video game, plus being one of the most prominent female protagonists in Star Wars given her starring role in KOTOR's sequel, equal a character that, in the end, I find a whole lot more interesting than Revan. ;)

But yeah, Kerra has tied the Exile. I just really like her character- she's got the impetuous fire of youth without being a total hothead like AOTC Anakin was. She can zing you with great replies without one-liners being the only thing she says. Overall, she's just a wonderfully balanced and incredibly HUMAN character, and I gotta love that. ;)

And yes, Daiman and Odion are wonderfully-kriffed-up. I love the projections on the hilt of Odion's lightsaber- they're almost flame-like, and the red color of much of the material of the hilt just scream 'I'm here to burn everything to the ground!'... which is, y'know, Odion's schtick and all. ;)

And I can't say much on Daiman yet- my copy of the second issue hasn't come, after all- but I DO love his entrance, as shown in the preview: "I have arrived. That should be enough."

I gotta admit, I shot root beer out of my nose when I read that. [face_laugh]

21. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    That was actually laugh out loud funny. Issue #2 is a bit odd. Odd-good. Not odd-bad. I'll have to give it another read but it's fairly low key compared to Kotor or Legacy. Not an insane amount of action but lots of character development (which suits me fine). IIRC the most interesting thing in the issue is, yes, Daimon but also his reaction to Kerra. He's as intrigued with her as I am but maybe not as much as you are Dewback.:p
    Oh and another high point of the comic is my letter in the back.[face_mischief]

22. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I am fairly sure that is the best enterence anyone has made, ever. I'm considering putting some form of that quote into my sig.

Damian's philosophy is great, and I hope we see it get expanded on more. But I really want to know what is up with his golden arm and the claws. There has to be a story behind it. He is striking me as the most unique and intresting character. We have seen crazy/insane Sith and Dark Jedi before, but Damian takes it to a whole new level.

23. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    It'd kinda be hard to do that, yes! [face_laugh]

Oh! I'll have to look out for that! It won't be under 'Manisphere', though, so I guess I'll just have to take a crack at it and guess! ;)

....wow, I suddenly feel like COW over in the SOS threads! [face_laugh]

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Absolutely, it is. :D

25. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    :( I killed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.