main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lord of the Rings music... Gosh, I love it!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I am guessing that just about everyone visiting this board is very excited about LOTR, and if not that, has at least heard tha the movie's coming out and seen the trailers. Anyways, I LOVE the music from the trailers!

For the first two teaser trailers, I wasn't very impressed at all. All I kept hearing was that main choral theme as the screen showed a huge army moving across the land. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE this theme, I cant' get it out of my head most times, but I needed more variety of LOTR music.

Then came the first real "trailer". The music was mostly the same until the very end of the trailer as all the different quick shots flash by and we see 7 black riders chasing a girl on a white horse. Uh, it sorta sounds like:
    "EEEEEEeeeee... HAW!...eeeeeeeeeeeEEEE...HAW! HAW!..."
    Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Anyways, now I was *really* starting to like LOTR music after hearing the first trailer's finale- but it was still just that blaring, climatic rushing choral music and I wanted to see if the LOTR music would also succeed in a more subtle way.

Finally, I saw the second real "trailer". Now *THIS* had some good music. :)

-The first music in this 2nd trailer that caught my ear was when the text says "Fate has chosen him" and it shows that council of (er, forgot his name). Boromir says "You have my sword", Legolas "You have my bow", Gimli "And my axe!" Anyways, it's just a quiet, sort of haunting choral piece with drums in the background- very cool. :)

-Secondly, the text says "Evil will hunt them". Then someone says "The enemy has many spies. Birds..." ect. This time, it's that main theme (as I call it) from the first two trailers (you know the blaring choral piece) but this time, it's subtle and played by lower string instruments. Good, looks like this theme can be used as loud and inspiring as well as quietly and foreboding. Me like. :)

-Then, at the end of the trailer, the "main theme" is played again in all it's epic and choral brilliance! LOVE IT! :D

So, those are my thoughts on LOTR. This is the soundtrack I am looking forward too more than any other in a long time (excepting TPM and soon ATOC)- what about you?

2. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    The music from the trailers sounds really promising! Do you know if the movie supposed to have a real thematic score like Indiana Jones and Star Wars?

3. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    As far as I know, none of the music in the trailer is from the film. It's all from previously released films.

I'll find out for sure. May take a few days, though.

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Yeah, most of the time trailer music is from already released films. Dunno about LotR though.

5. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    *gah!* No way! I thought I heard that that was actual music from LOTR. And considering it sounds so similar... It has to be!

Uh, if it's not, can someone tell me WHAT movies the music is from?

6. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    At least 95% of trailers use existing music, common knowledge. The latest one starts with Braveheart, and then has stuff from Gothic Power (used in all of the trailers and teasers I believe).

7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Well that just stinks.

8. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, ya learn something new every day.

9. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    ...Not exactly that I wanted to learn that. Oh well. :(

10. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    I know the girl who cut the trailer. Next time I talk to her, I'll ask her what music she used.

11. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    You KNOW the person? AH! COOLNESS! Uh, can she give us the film that she cut *out* of the trailer? ;)

12. Darth Angst

Darth Angst Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2000
    hey guys, who is doing the music for LOTR??

13. JimWare

JimWare Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2000
    All three LOTR films are being score by Howard Shore. The score for the first will be released in November.

Some of the music in the trailer is from James Horner's 'Braveheart' but the impressive choral piece in the second half is 'Gothic Power' by Christopher Field. It is not commercially available.

14. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "It's not commercially available."

Crud. I tried to find it on Morpheus but I couldn't. Bummer. :(

BTW, what part is from Braveheart? The part of "Trailer 2" when the council is shown (you know, "you have my sword", "and my bow", "and MY axe")? If that is it, what's the track name on the Braveheart CD?

15. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
  16. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I remeber some of the music in the trailer being from Braveheart, as I recall.

17. darthfrede

darthfrede Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Has any of you heard the three new samples from the soundtrack over at www.elbakin.com? (I'm NOT talking about the awesome Enya-track)

[image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005QZWI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg] [image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00003CWT4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg] [image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005QZWJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

The score sounds just as good as any of the SW-scores. It has really captured the mood of the books. My favorite so far is "Concerning Hobbits". You can almost see Hobbitton when you listen to it. :)

Check it out for yourselves...

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

"The Lord of the Rings"-movies are going to kick the SW-saga's ass!!! ;)
    Beside the fact that it's based on the greatest story EVER TOLD, the "LotR"-trilogy has got great actors, awesome effects, an extremely talented director and now it's also got a "kick-ass" score.

I CAN'T WAIT!!! :D

Bushy162 likes this.
  18. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Thanks for the heads-up!!! ;)

Could someone provide a direct link, I'm not fluent enough in french to figure out where it is...

19. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Er, yah, I concur with Mas.

20. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Are you sure they're actual clips from the movie? I found some music clips on the site, but they don't seem to be composed by Howard Shore at all.

More than a few people have already confirmed the latest trailer having Braveheart's music, so let's not repeat ourselves too often. As for the specific track, I can't remember the trailer that well, so I'm unsure. But Sith, it's time you listened to the Braveheart score if you couldn't recognize it. Awesome one.

21. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Just call me Sithy. :)

BTW, I did just recently download the Braveheart theme.

22. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    it's based on the greatest story EVER TOLD

Actually, I thought LOTR was excrutiatingly boring and had to force myself to finish it, but that's just me.

23. Jedi-Finney

Mar 22, 2001
    so, what is that music from? nobody knows yet???

24. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    Still playing phone tag with my friend.

25. Jedi-Finney

Mar 22, 2001
    it sounds so familiar... like the one in that old marines commercial, with the chess board, and all the cool armor and stuff... remember?