main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX LOTR DVD watching party!!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Darth_Chocolate, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Chocolate

Darth_Chocolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    What: LOTR Pre-Screening Party
    When: Friday, August 2nd; 8pm
    Where: my apartment
    Why: BECAUSE WE CAN!!!

As most of you already know, the DVD of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring will be released on Tuesday, August 6th. I figure that an event of this magnitude should have some sort of celebration, don't you? :D Due to the fact that I work in the entertainment industry, I should have my DVD in hand no later than Wednesday the 1st, which is just in time for us to get together for the weekend and watch it before the general public is able to do so. [face_devil]

I will provide the lodging, snacks, and soft drinks. You can/will BYOB! I'm also open to suggestions for an actual meal/dinner to go along with this. I have a grill if you want to do steaks or fajitas or hamburgers and hot dogs. Or we can just order pizza and beer. ;)

Everyone is welcome, but please don't PM or email me for directions if you are not serious about coming (so i can get an accurate count for food and such). Feel free to post if you have any questions or suggestions as others may be thinking the same thing you are.

Looking forward to having fun!! :)
    Mike

PS-I just may have a few extra copies of LOTR on hand if anyone would like to purchase yours in advance at the party. Price is TBD, but the DVD should be right around $19 or $20 after tax.

2. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    "Pre-screening"?
    Mike you should have had that when you got that bootleg...er...advance copy of LOTR from the Sci-Fi Expo in May.
    entertainment industry?
    ...uh...right ;)

I bet there's going to be a lot of ale drinking going on, and I don't mean during Bilbo's party either! :eek:

3. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    Heh, I've got the ultimate perview copy ;)

But I'll still love to see the real DVD. I'll be there. Send ya an e-mail before too long.

4. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    What Tim? You don't think that Blockbuster is a part of the entertainment industry? It may be the a$$ end of it, but it's definately a part.

5. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
  6. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    You're absolutely right it's the, late-fee price gouging, Starbucks-wannabe, flip flopping pan & scan vs. widescreen, uninformed side of the entertainment industry. :eek:

Although BB has recently acquired my favorite dvd store the Movie Trading Company, my sources there are under the impression that BB will be a hands off partner...suckers! ;)

7. ThreepMe

ThreepMe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    "What Tim? You don't think that Blockbuster is a part of the entertainment industry? It may be the a$$ end of it, but it's definately a part."

Correct-a-mundo! Actually, the a$$ end would be working at a movie theatre.

At least in a BB you don't have to clean up after 1000 people every hour and a half.

I would know...5 Years in the Movie Theatre Slave Trade...Er...Industry.

8. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    BB bought MTC?

i hope that mean they can use their buying power to make those DVD prices drop. MTC is always 3 or 4 bucks over BestBuy. but then BBuy selll music and dvds at a loss, cause they make it up when you buy a tv, computer or refridgerator.

9. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    Sorry Stone, BB buying MTC won't help with that problem. I state this because BB ourselves are having serious issues competing with Best Buy or Walmart on DVD prices due to that exact reason. They buy massive quantities in bulk and then take a hit (loss) on the price just to lure you in to buy groceries or that big screen TV. What am i gonna recoop my losses with in BB to make it up?? The most expensive thing in the BB stores are 1 model of DVD players, DTV systems, or a game system. You know how much we make on those game systems after cost? Not enough, lemme tell ya.

Anyway, back to the thread topic.... who's coming?? and if you're coming, who wants to buy your copy of LOTR then?

10. Jedi_Jarvis

Feb 7, 2001
    I will (already stated)
    and I might (if I have the $)

:cool:

11. matalo

matalo Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2002
    Block Buster has a nice deal going too. If you purchase their 10 week rental card, you get FOTR for free. I did this as I usually rent about 1-2 DVD's per week. Another thing, the free DVD counts on your Rewards card membership so you can also get a free Favorite and then it after five rentals you get another free one, too.

No, I do not work for BB, but I think this is a good deal.

Matalo

12. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    LOL! Thanks matalo. I usually try to avoid from posting our "deals" so as not to use these boards to peddle my wares... but since you brought it up...

He is right. If any of you want to pre-order your copies at your local BB, you will pay about $27 after tax for the rental card (good for 10 rents). That's about the price of 6 regular rentals. In addition to that, you will get a free copy of LOTR on the street date of 8/6.

Now, for those of you who would like to either save a few bucks or have your copy early, my offer still stands. Buy your copy at the party for about $20. (Exact price is TBD due to tax.) The actual price is $22.99+ tax, but I get a 20% discount. When calculated, this comes out to $20.0013, so it should be $20 even.

13. krwade3

krwade3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    I would love to come but Ill be In Peoria that weekend, I leave for Chicago that morning at 7 from DFW INT. But I want to hear all about it when I get back.

14. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    I demand our CR ban Mike for life, he has finally exposed himself(not literally) for what he truely is...a Ballbuster...er..Blockbuster lackey. I knew he could not consiously betray BB and through them Viacom. He does his corporate master's bidding he one of them, I tell ya! He's one of them!!! Of course we all know what else Viacom owns: Paramont Pictures, which just so happens to own Star Trek! can you follow their dastardly plan to it's conclusion? Dear God in heaven wipe the horrid images from my brain. Excuse me while I wash my eyes with lye soap to cleanse them of the utterly shameful commercial Mike and his "new guy" shill/helper cooked up.

Uhh Mike put me down for one copy. Thanks.

15. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Due to his hefty involvement in the video-rental-opiate arm of the military-industrial-entertainment complex, Mike, aka Darth Chocolate shall henceforth be known as Lord of the Bling-blings!

16. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    LOL!!

"Do what he say!! Do what he say!!!"

mark one for tim.... gotcha bro :)

17. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    "I'm just suppose to sit here and say things like 'Blang blang!' and 'That is whack!'"

18. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    You best pick which side you're on, cuz it's a Suncoast vs. Blockbust thang!

Gonna be some discs flying and fools cryin' in this video buyin' and rental game!

19. Jedi_Jarvis

Feb 7, 2001
    "in this video buyin' and rental game!" NbC

Isint that supposed to be Video buyin' and GAME rental game?

LOL

Also Mike, if Wends is the 1st, then how is Fri the 2nd? ;) (w=31) (f=2)

:D

20. Jedi_Jarvis

Feb 7, 2001
    Up!

So, am I the only one going??

21. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    Hehe, no. You're not the only one going. I have had several folks email/call/PM for directions. We'll prolly have somewhere between 5 and 10 people as of now (based off of current expectations).

For those who still need directions, just email me and I'll forward the flyer to you.

justplaininsane@vzavenue.net

22. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    Update: We're now looking at 10+ for the party. So it should be fun.

Also, I HAVE THE DVD IN MY PLAYER RIGHT NOW!! ;) Nice 10 min preview to Two Towers. It's a mix of finished scenes, interviews, and behind the scenes stuff. The model for Helm's Deep looks pretty darn cool. There is a preview to the Two Towers video game as well and it looks sweet. The game will basically cover FOTR and TT and you can play as Aragorn, Legolas, or Gimly.

Can't wait till December....

23. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
  24. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    For the love of all that is just and right... do NOT click on that link!!

25. Jango_Bango

Jango_Bango Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    I could not resist the temptation Mike....it was like drawing me to click it....
    Now...I will need psychological help to get over this....I should have listened to you..

:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.