main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Mando Beskar'gam

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TapeTrooper515, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TapeTrooper515

TapeTrooper515 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2007
    Hello there.
    I am looking into acquiring some Mandalorian armor, mostly for me but also potentially for another school project. I was wondering if anyone here would be able to give me a rough estimate on the amount of time and money required to make a basic set of Mando armor (including clothing, bucket and all the essentials). I am trying to determine if armor will be practical* to create for my school project, which is due the day before the CCEE.
    I know this is a question for the 501st but since I don?t have an account there yet I figured I?d give this question a try over here first.
    Any information would be most helpful, thank you.

*AKA physically possible, I?m certain it?s not practical

2. BH-7113

BH-7113 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    I might know some Mandos...
    PM me your E-Mail...

3. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    I can make some sintra armour plates in a day or so, including cutting, shaping, painting. The other stuff might take some time. If you aren't concerned with 100% canon accuracy, it can be done in that time frame. But my mando costuming knowledge is pretty much limited to working with sintra. BH-7113 will be better able to answer the other stuff.

4. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    If you are able to do that, it would be kandosii! Canon accuracy is not a factor in this case because I have a custom design planned for the armor.
    I can email you the design when I have finalized it, along with a copy of the long overdue video from the last project (I have taken the oppertunity to restore the clone walking sequence that was acidentaly lost during the editing). Thanks for all the help you keep giving me.

5. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    No worries, vod'ika. Send me the design, and we can get together one day to put some stuff together.

6. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    Does anyone know where in the city I can find jumpsuits?
    I have been looking but I havent found any yet.

By the way Shawn, I would love to read your essay!

7. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Marks workwear world has coverall that work for a mando. I bought mine there.

8. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    Vor'e vod! I hope to be able to go there soon. Just a few questions, however:
    What is the address of the store (and is it Marks Work Warehouse or Marks Workwear World)?
    What is name of the coveralls (if that matters)?
    what is the price of the coveralls?

9. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    Mark is all over the city. There are at least 4 or 5 stores. I know there is one across from Chinook Mall and one over in sunridge by the theater. and they cost me about $50.

10. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    That's perfect! I could walk there if I wanted.
    I will be heading over there as soon as I can. Thanks!

11. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    Sent you an email buddy. If you can reply to me first chance you get that would be great. It would take me a good 2 days at least to put together some beskar'gam, so if you have msn, add me and we can discuss what pieces you need.

12. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    Reply sent. I dont have an MSN unfortunatly, so here would be the place to talk.
    Thanks fot the referance info BH-7113.
    I can't thank you guys enough!

Edit: Just finished the essay Shawn. Loved it! Very insightful.

13. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    I have nearly finished a prototype helmet, but I have a question about sintra I need to ask before I can finish it. If you attach two peices of sintra together so that they overlap, is it possible to then sand them down or do somthing to hide the overlap or is it just better to avoid overlap?

14. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    You can always sand the heck out of it and then use bondo, and then sand it smooth again so you don't see any crack.

15. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    Just what Ryan said. Bevel the top edge with a knife, sand away, bondo, sand again.

16. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    Kandosii, the helmet should be buildable. the cardboard model is simple enough that it should translate into sintra without to much work.

17. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    Just keep in mind that sintra doesn't shape well into domes, so you'll have to grab a batting helmet or some tupperware for the top.

18. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    I have taken the dome into consideration, I have a design that should allow you to make a sintra dome. It's a bit hard to explain but I can send you some drawings of the idea. I have checked on the web and I have found descriptions of people doing similar designs. I will leave it up to you to decide if you think you can do it.
    I should be able to meet you at noon on saturday.

19. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    Sounds good, noon it is.

20. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    Shawn
    If you have not yet started on the gauntlets, I have some updated designs I can email to you. Just a few minor alterations and the locations of some of the gauntlet greeblies that I have planned. I think I may add some more hosing as well, and have some on both gauntlets.

21. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    Sure thing bro. I haven't started the gaunts yet. The vest and chest armour is coming along really well, as is the helmet. And the Rangefinder moves up and down!

22. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    So................is this project looking like it'll be ready in time for the CCEE? I'm looking forward to seeing it.

23. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    Yeah, I'm done schoolwork and I have yet to hear back from COP about the security position there, so this week is all about making a custom mando. You'll see Peter and my handiwork on sunday.

24. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    I was just looking at the armor color guide image and I noticed that the helmet's cheeks look pink. They should be red, not pink! Thought I should clarify that, just in case.;)

25. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    I have nearly finished the belt now. It is just a simple vinyl belt but it looks fairly good. I also have a basic holster for my blaster rifle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.