main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Mara Jade costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Cami_Colucci, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    I can see why the cape would come in handy in such a setting. :D

I haven't worked on the Shadow Trooper costume in a little over a week. Nothing new to report beyond the pictures in the thread linked to in my sig. Just been busy with work and I'm too tired when I get home to do anything on it. I'm going to have to start looking around to get the appropriate armor, the lightsaber and a few accessories to modify the mask, etc. I'm just glad that I have as much of it done as I do so far.

Any future modifications planned for your MJ costume?

2. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Once again you look lovely in your costume Jade-Walker :) I see you have the buckle too now (nice job), and of course the cape, yes ;) can't live without it.

3. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah. For all that I railed against having to have a pinkish cape, it sure comes in handy. ;)

Yes. I finally gave up on a friend that said he'd help me with the belt buckle and bought aluminum flashing and made that buckle and the back of the harness.

I still plan to make a bodysuit with the piping down the front, but I have other projects that I want to work on first. I also have a friend who has leather belting for me that I will make a new belt with that's better than the vinyl one that I made. And once I have that done, I'll permanently attach the buckle. I only had it attached with duct tape at the time [face_laugh]. Ah well. It worked better than the hot glue did. ;)

4. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I got in!
    My costume made the grade for the 501st! I now have the number SL 5233 with the nickname "Jade" :D
    [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

5. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    Congrats Jade!

6. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Thanks :) I see you're planning on Dragon Con. That would be really cool. Too bad it is too far for me to go to it.
    I really loved trooping for Origins in Columbus a couple of weekends ago. :D

7. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Congrats Jade-Walker! :) . Duct Tape? I can't live without duct tape!
    It's great! So don't feel ashamed. You only can do that when you were in a situation like me:
    I glued my buckle to my belt with special metal glue like stuff. But my nice buckle still decided to fall off my belt, in the middle of the con-floor, when everybody was watching me :D .
    At times like that you are very glad you brought a roll of duct tape with you :D ......so there

8. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    I hope to go for a few days if I can get the time off. If I can't there's always the Symphony and other events this year.

-UD

9. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah. I just found out, though, that your costume has to be movie canon to work for the LSO gig. :(
    I guess that means I'd better get hopping on my Battle Padme outfit so that I can still work it--but for the Rebel Legion

10. Sith_Wench

Sith_Wench Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 28, 2004
    Does anyone have a picture or URL to the Insider with Mara Jade and the troopers?

11. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    What an awesome thread!!! Mara Jade is my favorite character and I'm working on her costume for this Halloween, as well as so that I can get into the 501st :D

I've read through the entire thread and everyone's posts have been so helpful, I have so much confidence for this costume now. I don't have beautiful red hair like most of you so I have bought a wig to wear. I wore it to work one day and it looks so real that all of my co-workers thought I had cut and dyed my hair (waist length blonde). Also, I'm investing in green contacts (I have blue eyes)!

I have figured everything out for the costume....well, everything but one. What do you guys do for her lightsaber?? I've found some decent pictures online of it and would like to build one, but I wanted to get everyone's advise as how to tackle that one. I noticed that Jade-Walker has what looks like a Lighttech blade...is that a Mara replica?

Thanks all and happy costuming!

12. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    If you are planning on going 501st with this one, be warned. You have to make it as "canon" as possible.
    Believe me. I went through enough trouble on this one. ;)
    By canon I mean the costume on the front of the Insider. And since this is an EU costume, they don't give a lot lee-way. No. My lightsaber isn't the canon one. I got some flack on this one, but my CO stuck up for me. ;) Her lightsaber was actually made by Park Sabers.
    I found the bodysuit pattern from Kwik-sew very easy to use and used the PVC material stuff. Sure. It's not leather, but it is quite comfortable to move and to sit in, so I highly recommend it.

13. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    I wish I could help you on the lightsaber question ondiv but my saber came straight from Jeff Parks. I can tell you, though, to soften the leather bands around your arms before you wear the costume for any length of time. I applied a leather softener to mine after they were made but I had to wear them around the house daily to conform them to my shape (as I wanted to be as comfortable as possible at C2) which was somewhat of a pain in the butt but it's just the way it worked for me.

I forgot to congratulate you Jade-Walker on your induction in to the 501st. I joined the rebel legion in this costume since there is no 501st anywhere near me.

14. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Thanks, ladystar. I actually am both. But really, I have the opposite problem. There is no real RL presence in my area. 501st is much more active. Plus, they are a bit more male-dominant as far as members go. When I walked into Origins with this outift, they said "Now that's a costume!" :p LOL!

15. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    Ok, so the Jade lightsaber is from Parks Sabers? Which model is it? I went to the website and they all have style names and are not listed my character (which I'm not surprised about because of licensing issues).
    I saw another website with a Jade saber had been done but the creator didn't have a very good picture of it.

As far as canon goes, I am going for dead on. I wrote down all of the notes from the 'interview' with Shannon from a couple of pages back. I'm using that as a main reference, I'm evening going to get raw silk and wash it! About the picture on the cover of the Insider. which one is that? Is that the one with Shannon in the black cat suit and cape?

Also, I now this prolly isn't a good thing but I wanted to extend this to you guys anyway: I'm currently bidding on some goggles on eBay, and the auction is actually for 2 pair. I only need one pair so if someone is interested in the second I'd be willing to sell it for half of the winning bid (since you would be getting half of the auction).

16. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Ah okay. I didn't remember who posted that back a couple of pages ago. [face_blush]

Yes. The black catsuit is the one from the insider.

The best pic of the lightsaber is on the cardgame card. It's not a standard hilt that Parks makes. It would have to be custom made. But he does do that sort of thing and might be willing to make it again.

17. ladystar

Sep 21, 2001
    Ondiv, you just have to contact Jeff directly about Mara's saber. It will take him a while to create it as I've read on other props forums he is extremely busy with orders. I know it took about four months to get mine and that was in 2000.

18. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    I actually interested in building it myself and was mostly looking for decent pictures of it to reference. I'm only going to build the hilt and not worry about the blade (I'm currently designing a custom saber for myself that will have a blade).
    I was able to find a website selling raw silk for (what I think is) a decent price. I'm really excited how this costume is coming together so quickly!

19. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Cool :)
    Try to find a pic of that CCG (?) card of Mara's saber. It is likely the best pic of the hilt.

20. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    So there is an actual card just for Mara's saber? I will hvae to try and track one down!

21. ladystar

Sep 21, 2001
    ondiv, I have the card and can send you a picture if you'd like. Just pm me or post here.
    I also have scan's of the actual saber and can send those too !!

22. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    ladystar, I would be happy to accept any and all pictures that you are willing to send :D

23. ladystar

Sep 21, 2001
    I hope this link works, it's the actual saber Jeff Parks made. It's a large picture and I'm never sure if I get the link thing right or not....

Mara's saber

If you'd like me to scan a picture of the card and email directly to you, just drop me a pm with your address. I could send you bigger pictures of the saber too if the above link is bad.

24. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    oh wow!! That is such an awesome picture!! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it :D :D

25. General_Jade

General_Jade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2004
    I always wondered what type of hood Mara is wearing and how to make one for my Male Emperor's Hand (I gave the name "Jade Commandos" to the male emperor's hand)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.