main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

March Madness 2010 - Live Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Hello! Some of you may remember when a bunch of us Arena folks got together for the Men's gold medal basketball game for the 2008 Olympics. We watched the game next to our computers and chatted about the ups and downs and amazings.

Well, over the next three weeks, as yo're watching games near your computer, join us for a live chat here to talk about the ups, down, amazings, buzzer beaters, cinderalls, bracket destroyers, and everything else. I've taken a few days of personal time off work to enjoy a four-day weekend and enjoy the opening round pretty much in it's entirety, so I'll be here as your host.

We can start with some pre-games chatter. Who ya got? Who's your champ? Who's your final four? Who's your Cinderella? Who's the one team you didn't pick but think you should have?

[image=http://www.betvega.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/2010-march-madness-odds.jpg]

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Anybody but Duke!:p

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions!:cool:

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    *boos Tunick*

Inty, hate to say it to you, but I got Georgetown taking down Ohio State :(

Would love to see Texas (well, anybody, but Texas has the best early shot to do this) take down Kentucky...but I couldn't bring myself to pick it. At least not on my main bracket.

Yes, I have lots of brackets. The first one (and "real" one, if you want to use that term) is the one for this group on Yahoo.

4. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I don't feel confident about my South regional at all. The rest I think that I have a pretty good feel for.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I've got Duke all the way (naturally, since I have the unfortunate tendency to pick with my heart as much as my head, sometimes more)... what do you expect me to do :p

How many double digits seeds do you guys have winning in the first round? Or making it to the Sweet 16?

6. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    *waves hand at Tunick and chants Cameron Crazie style*

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I think Tunick just doesn't want to see Best. Banner. Ever. again :p

:D

8. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm sure that he's not the only one. [face_whistling]

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    You know you want that banner back up... [face_mischief]

You also know you want that nice pretty Duke icon :D

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I've got Kansas all the way. They are really the only team I feel confident in. Although, I find it hilarious that a team goes through a season, gets a number one seed, and then the only two losses they had all year (Tennessee and Ok State) are in their bracket.

Two teams I wish I had the testicular fortitude to actually pick in meaningful brackets are Richmond and BYU. I think Richmond is a mid-major team that can make a tournament run, and in a vulnerable South bracket, I can see them getting to the Final Four. BYU has a super stud player who can put them on his back and carry them to a win or two in the tournament (shades of Steph Curry, though not quite as good, obviously). All they need is one upset over K-STate, and they get to play the regional rounds in Utah.

And, R...J, I'm not really worried about G-Town. The Buckeyes biggest issue this year is depth. G-Town's biggest issue is depth. I'd love to see a Vegas line for that game, if it happens, for total bench points scored. Wherever they put it, I'd be under. :p

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm not changing my icon, even for a team that I like. I'm afraid that I'll never find the Talon Intelligence Squad icon again. :p

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Inty: over/under half a point, combined? :p [face_laugh]

And I don't see Tennessee or Oklahoma State getting anywhere near Kansas for a rematch. But it is hilarious.

Edit: McClain, that's part of why I so rarely change my icon as well... but the search thing functions pretty well, so you could find it again :)

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm still going UNDER

14. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, but I don't remember what they called the icon. It took me a good bit of searching to find it when they first put it up. :p

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    [face_laugh] I'll take you up on that one. Someone on one bench has to at least hit a free throw, right? Or maybe even a field goal? Just one!

EDIT: McClain (again): Search "Talon" and it comes up. Along with some Darth Talon and Talon Karrde, but its there with them :p

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Less than half an hour from tipoff! If you want to make any last minute changes to your brackets, better do it now!

17. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    It's the most wonderful time of the year!

18. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Let's go BYU!!!

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Tip time!

First game: Florida vs. BYU

Cheering for: BYU
    Picking: BYU

Best case scenario: BYU goes on 20-2 run to start game. Billy Donovan breaks down into tears on the sideline. Florida calls timeout, and during timeout, the CBS news room breaks into report that Tim Tebow has tested positive for steroids.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Local coverage just switched to ODU-Notre Dame.

Cheering for: Old Dominion
    The Pick: Notre Dame

Best Case Scenario: A very good game, with a buzzer-beater finish, no matter who wins.

Edit:

Robert Morris-'Nova tipping off, but not on local TV (Hello, MMOD online)

Cheering for: Bobby-Mo
    The Pick: 'Nova

Best Case Scenario: a 15-2 upset highlighting just how poor the committee did on the South bracket.

(And, yes, I'm an idiot. Thought that other game was also a 12:30, not a 2:30. My bad)

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I agree with this in its entirety. Thus, I'm quoting it all :p

BYU's only up 11-9 right now, though (right now=what is online)... at least it is a lead.

Cheering for and picked Notre Dame in game 2 :)

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    BTW, LOVED the Bud Light for Clunkers commercial. Thought it was better than any Bud Light ad during Super Bowl. Maybe we'll see more companies trying to get good commercials on during tournament?

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Though Nova's a potential danger to Duke down the road, Villanova is one of the few Big East teams I actually like. Thus, I'm pulling for Villanova. Not that I think they're in danger today or anything :p

Dang it, Florida has a lead. [face_plain]

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't hate Nova. I like Nova. I just want to see the South Bracket be as absurd as possible, because of the poor seeding job.

And, hey, Robert Morris is up four right now!

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Arkansas-Pine Bluff over Robert Morris, Inty? :p

And Florida's up by 5. [face_frustrated]

EDIT: now 7. BYU, get with the program!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.