main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Omaha, NE March Meeting? When? Where? Dont need a why....

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by paperclipx, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paperclipx

paperclipx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2001
    So what date/time is good for everyone?

Craig, you had mentioned possibly your "new" basement...still a possibility?

2. That awful vracer

That awful vracer Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2000
    Yeah, I'd love to see those "Les Nessman" walls, and the "hanging beads" for a door! [face_laugh]

And if craigrr's place doesn't pan out, there are plenty of you members who have never hosted! Yeah, I'm looking at you!

3. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    Let me know the date & time and I think we may be able to swing something. The SW room isn't even started yet, but the front room is basically done. Just some cosmetic stuff to finish up. Like I said though, just let me know when everyone is wanting to do this.

4. That awful vracer

Feb 6, 2000
    ***DISCLAIMER*** Please be aware of a couple of things here: 1). This isn't a rant per se. I'm not mad or pissed about anything, so please don't get defensive/angry/whatever. I'm not angry, there's just a few things I wanted to bring up for discussions sake. 2). I posting this "out-of-character" so to speak, so please, serious replies. 3). Yeah, I know, "I've got a job/real life/school/wife-kid/boyfried/girlfriend/relatives in town/a headache/a hangover/dandruff". I got some of those things too, but that doesn't mean this club can't have organization too.

March is half over, are we going to even bother with a meeting this month? I know that the banner problem may have lead to our current posting drought, but interest in this club seems to flow and ebb. Are we on some sort of lunar phase cycle that I am unaware of ? If we can't get a monthly meeting going, why are we kidding ourselves that stuff like a fan film, and doing something for opening day are going to happen? We are about 60 days away from opening day of Episode 2, and whenever the topic was brought up at the last couple of meetings, all people did was shrug and say "sounds good" whenever ideas of what we should do were brought up. The clock is ticking , guys. TF.N is posting links to fanforce chapters that are doing stuff and having meetings. Think maybe if we are doing stuff, and are having links about it posted on TF.N, maybe other non-members in Omaha might check us out?

Episode 2 is an excellant opportunity to do stuff, and maybe get more members. I know there are more people into star wars than just the 10 or so, of us. What can we do to find them? Can we do up flyers and post them anywhere? Can we do something about handing out flyers to people standing in line for tickets (and YES, I know we are likely to order ours on line)? Could we do something about handing out flyers to people standing in line for the midnight showing? And people in line the next afternoon? What about pre-movie activities, for both the midnight and next afternoon? And, if we do get new members, what can we do to make them welcome? Could we give them some sort of inexpensive(ok, cheap) welcome gift? The proposed t-shirts are a step in the right direction. In the past, I have put forward the idea of some kind of welcome kit. I was thinking of maybe putting in stuff like: our own personally made laminated ID badge(these can be cheaply made), some kind of trinkets like star wars pez dispenser(I see these all the time at the grocery store) etc etc. I proposed this amongst other ideas last summer. At the time you guys basically ignored/laughed them off. Interesting to see that some of them are now getting serious consideration(and no, I'm not bitter about it).

I think we need to start having some organization and activities when it comes to our meetings, or people are going to stop attending due to disinterest. Right now, ours meetings seem to consist of waiting for people to show up, meeting being a quarter over before everybody showing up/ or deciding they aren't showing at all. Then we tell the same 3 or 4 stories to whoever is new. Then we'll all break up into several off topic conversations, or have one big off topic conversation. While it's nice to socialize, I'm here to socialize about Star Wars. I don't think it's asking to much that we make these meetings interesting enough to make people want to attend them again and again. Anybody have anything to add?

....apart from one-liners and smilies? :)

5. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    I can tell you our number one hurdle each month.....location. Its hard to find a place to meet each month. Trust me, once I get things settled, I would be more than willing to hold every meeting at my place, but that wont be until at least June.
    Then, once we do find a place to meet, everybody's schedule comes into play. It seems most people cant make it until 6 or after. So we try to set the date that works for the most people.

I agree with you that interest seems to be on and off. I agree its frustrating. I have mentioned this before and gotten the same shrug "yeah ok" kind of response. Do we want to have a set date each month for our meeting? Say the 15th of each month...or the second or third Saturday?

As for a welcome kit...its a good idea, if you can get the new members to come to a meeting. And what do we put in it? We have plenty of stuff left over from our AlphaCon raffle idea. But what else? To do some of this stuff we will have to come up with some money. Do we want to start collecting dues? I dont think that would fly. But its an idea.

Why do the meetings tend to drift off of SW? Well, I'm as big a SW geek as the next guy, but I dont think I could talk SW for 2 hours straight. There just isnt that much there. Not enough to keep everybody interested. Some people collect, others dont and dont care. Some people are into costuming. Again, others arent. Some are into gaming, and some arent. You will always have a few who arent interested in a certain aspect, but that is what is the strength of SW fans. The diversity. The ability of people of varying interests to come together over one concept. But there are always going to be people who arent interested in the conversation.

I guess I really dont know how to completly respond to your post other then saying I agree with you. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one checking the boards.

If nothing else, lets at least you and I get together this month and figure some of this out.

6. UncleOwen1138

UncleOwen1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2001
    As far as a meeting place goes, many of the local libraries have meeting rooms that can be used free of charge (I believe there free). The one in Millard remodeled a few years ago and they have very nice facilities. Just a thought.

boB

7. Dawmer299

Dawmer299 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    Hey, I don't care if we have a group of 10 or a group of 100. A group is a group and it becomes whatever we make it. I agree there is so much we could do but dont and I'm sure everyone has their reasons.

I say pick a place, pick a day and stick to it. Im in another group that meets on the first Wednesday of every month, we decide on the location at the meeting, but you know, people attend because they know when it is. Its the same every month. Its not thrown together at the last minute like we've done so many times. It really helps so that people like myself who dont have there schudule for the next week until Thursday can plan a little and take a certain day off each month. I know its hard when some people have rotation schedules and days off change but Im sure they could ask for a day off or trade or something to make it work.

Im all for having dues..... that way I can pay still "feel" like Im a member and when I can't make 90% of the things I know Im still a "memeber" and shouldn't have to worry about being x'd of and e-mail list, banned from a site or excluded from a group. If people pay and don't attend, great, you get there money its no-one fault but there own. Also people are more likely to be involved if they pay for something.

Anyways, just a few thoughts. I agree I'd like to see things change also just as I'd like to do more. So blast away.... Im sure someone will, they always do!!

8. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    How about this- At the next meeting, let's get the location, bat time, bat channel squared away. Starting next month, we could have the meetings here on the second or third Saturday of each month. If something comes up & it can't be held here, I'll post such and we can look for another location.

9. TK-507

TK-507 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2002
    Okay... I'm proposing a location solution. How about we all send our general location to one of the members from the group (I volunteer). We can then plot these locations and determine the CENTER of the OFF universe w/i Omaha. Sound goofy?

OR... my work is available. We have four classrooms from which to choose and I'll get it for free. It's at 120th & L. If you have ever had a ticket and taken the class to have it dismissed ...you know where I work. The Safety and Health Council.

As long as we clean up after ourselves, we can use it.

Just let me know what you think...

Kurt (TK-507)

10. That awful vracer

Feb 6, 2000
    Fabulous ideas, guys!! [face_devil]

Without getting stalkerish, a couple live up near UNO, about 4 live near Ralston, we also have Millard and Bellvue checking in as well. The library idea is feasable. But I do like your work idea Health and Safety man(when I had to get my speeding ticket dismissed, they sent me to some old school up by Mutual of Omaha!)

11. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    "TF.N is posting links to fanforce chapters that are doing stuff and having meetings. Think maybe if we are doing stuff, and are having links about it posted on TF.N, maybe other non-members in Omaha might check us out?"

-Good idea for sure. So we need to work on the meeting thing, special events etc.

EII Showing - Definitely a must. Flyers would be a good idea if they can be done affordably. If we could arrange the costume thing and the flyer thing. The opening sales line would probably be the best for that. It's daylight, there are going to be tons of people and the news will be there. :) Plus with the costumes, you're sure to get a spot on the 5/6/10 o'clock news.

"Could we give them some sort of inexpensive (ok, cheap) welcome gift?"
    -Bad idea IMHO. The example used may be just bad but if someone gave me a PEZ dispenser I'm not sure what I'd do. Bad things for sure.

"I was thinking of maybe putting in stuff like: our own personally made laminated ID badge (these can be cheaply made), some kind of trinkets like star wars pez dispenser (I see these all the time at the grocery store) etc etc. At the time you guys basically ignored/laughed them off."

-To me those things are not important. Didn't join the group for trinkets.

"I think we need to start having some organization and activities when it comes to our meetings, or people are going to stop attending due to disinterest."

-Some organization is good. Setting a standard time and place is a good idea. We've tried to do it the other way and it's not working very well so it can't hurt to try other options. Activities are probably good, depending on what they are. One think I'll never do again is play SW trivial pursuit. Even with SW fans it just isn't all that fun to me.

"While it's nice to socialize, I'm here to socialize about Star Wars."
    - I personally can only talk SW for so long. I like hearing about other things in people?s lives. That's what makes us "friends". Diving off into the crude sexual topics are getting a bit old but those always happen with Sara around.

"Do we want to start collecting dues? I don?t think that would fly."

-Again good question, but a BETTER answer. :) There are so many issues that come into play when it comes to money it tends to cause many problems. That issue could come up again if the active group became larger but for now with the small group we have it's not a good idea.

I'd definitely take Craig/Kurt up on their location idea. I'd rather meet at someone?s home rather than a business because of the "comfort level". Homes sometimes offer less seating so that has to be taken into account. Many factors to be weighed. I think we should meet at each and see how we like them.

T-Shirts are a good idea as well for group members but they need to be paid for by themselves.

12. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    When could we get into one of those rooms Kurt? Does it have to be after a certain time, or on a weekend?

13. sarahpie

sarahpie Jedi Master star 1

Dec 9, 2001
    I'd offer my place...but, yeah *L* I think I'd get some wierd looks, and you guys would enjoy being in the basement of the only all-girl dorm on campus just a little too much

14. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Anyone interesting in reverting to our old standby and perhaps meeting for dinner again?

15. TK-507

Jan 7, 2002
    If we choose a date which works with my schedule, the Council's classrooms are available. They have TV's, etc. for our use. We just have to clean up after ourselves.

How about having a "bring your own dinner" meeting?

KUrt

16. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    That sounds good, what dates are good with your schedule Kurt?

17. TK-507

Jan 7, 2002
    I'm pretty open over the next week. Why don't you do one of your handy vote things? My only day I don't want to be near that building is Friday night, as I'm SICK 'n TIRED of working then.

Just let me know. -KG

18. That awful vracer

Feb 6, 2000
    Howz about next saturday then. Any seconds on that?

19. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Weekends are bad now, any possibilities during the week?

20. yatchie

yatchie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2001
    I'm away for Easter weekend. Pesonaly I would like to stick to the weekends. The week is usually pretty busy for me. I'll try to work something out if it's decided to go with a week day

21. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Ok, I can make Saturday work, one way or another....So can we get in on Saturday Kurt?

What time shall we shoot for? Say early afternoon, 3? 4?

22. TK-507

Jan 7, 2002
    Yes, we can get in on a Saturday, but I'm a little tired and confused. Is it this Saturday? How about a mid morning donut thing? Too crazy?

KUrt

23. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Sounds ok to me...say 10 or 11? Hows that for everyone else?

24. That awful vracer

Feb 6, 2000
    It's been established in the past that late afternoon, early evening works best for most attendees. Some people work on saturdays. I myself tend to work on sundays, and sometimes saturdays, and until 6pm, whichever weekend day I wind up working. I've been suggesting a breakfast buffet meeting forever, and no-one seems interested. believe me, we've been round and round on this before.

That being said, this is getting ridiculous. We have a week and a half of march left, and STILL can't agree on a meeting. Either set a date/time, and whoever shows up, shows up, or just declare a no-meeting for march, and set one for early April. And the first thing that should be discussed is the set date/time every month for meetings. Kurt, my guess is that the meeting will happen on whatever saturday you decide to set it up on. If it is going to be this saturday, I'd suggest deciding now, in order for people to make plans to attend/not attend. Let's just have the darn meeting, even if only three of us show up.

**EDIT** posted before I saw Mark's message.

**EDIT2** By looking at your profiles, I can tell that with the exception of banthagrl, you all logged in and checked the boards today, and that most check every day. How about you guys post and tell us about your prefered date/time/locations? This thread is mostly me, paperclipx, and craig batting the subject around. Post if you're just posting to say you can't show up. Post just to tell us to drop dead. Post just to tell me what you had for breakfast. Post just to say Yatchie's a weenie. Post... please?

25. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Kurt, your the man with the keys, is 11 ok for you? If so then its set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.