main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph MARVEL CIVIL WAR

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Obi_Will_Kenobi, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I trust Joe Q. about as far as I can throw him. He may have helped bring Marvel back up from bankruptcy, but for ideas like this, I'm not too keen on him. Marvel has tried for years to kill MJ, back during the whole Clone Saga and then following failed Mackie, Byrne, Romita Jr., relaunch.

2. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Marvel doesn't have the cojones to kill MJ, or to change Spider-Man in new ways. Thats why I anticipate a cheap way out of Spidey unmasking and the rediculousness of The Other.

EDIT: Not sure if any spoiler rules are in effect but I blacked out a short blurb in case some people hadn't read CW 2.

3. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    Well if they do kill MJ, what will happen to Spidey. His whole life he has been afraid of what would happen to his loved ones. Now with one dead he would probably completely loose his ming. He would blame himself and Iron-Man. I feel sorry for the Villian who does do it because I don't think we have seen Spiderman full out mad, and using his powers to the max the way he would on this villian. It might even cause him to cross the line. However, it would mix up the comic and change Spiderman forever.

4. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Well in ASM 533 Peter already told Tony he holds him responsible for keeping his family safe too. I don't see Peter losing control and all out killing who ever would take out MJ though. Remember, with great power comes great responsibility.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I stand by my statement. It's perfect for them to off MJ and have him a swinging bachleor again. Why, I dunno. I grew up on the marriage. I bought into it. I enjoyed it. The way these guys act about it, makes me think their marriages aren't all wine and roses. They say that there was so much more to do? I ask, what? What couldn't be done that has been done a dozen times over? It got old with Superman and Lois.

They're so telegraphing themselves it's not funny. Scarlett Witch alters reality. Peter finds that he's happier with Gwen than MJ, in his perfect world. He was getting cozy with Black Cat and Gwen's daughter. They're heading for something bad like death from one of his enemies. That, or they'll do something equally stupid. Like have Doc Strange use his magic top wipe everyone's memory, which winds up taking MJ and May's memories, thus forcing Peter to end the marriage. Considering that Mark Millar and Jeph Loeb, two men who tried that with Superman and Lois are at Marvel, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't dust that off.

6. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Sinister makes an interesting point about miller being involved in all of this. His arc on marvel knights spiderman involved Osbourne kidnapping aunt may and trying to take out mj (at the end). Now that spidey has unmasked it seems like this scenerio will happen again.

JMS hasn't said much about his feelings on all of this. We know how he protects his creative vissions, even though he didn't create spiderman, the arc of AMS is nowhere near done. IF he is asked to kill MJ, or asked to deal with some other writer killing MJ, and doesn't think it's a good idea, i can see him walking.

If i understand correctly Peter David is pretty much the same way.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I read a Wizard interview, I think it was or a Joe Friday's on Newsarama, one of them had a thing with the guys involved in the Civil War story. Almost all of them agree that the marriage was a mistake for Spidey. Including JMS as well as Joss Whedon, who was there to hear ideas about Civil War and if he had anything he wanted to add.

8. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Really? Wow, i find that hard to believe (not saying i don't believe you), because MJ and Aunt may are such inportant characters in JMS's amazing spiderman.

The other thing i find interesting is that on a show like 24, family adds drama. I know we can't have MJ and may getting kidnaped every issue, but having them get involved in some trouble in a novel way, while peter is busy doing spidey things could be interesting. What is may is at the local goverment building doing something involving her social security checks and terrorist decide to take over the building. What if spiderman is genoshia helping the avengers take down magneto or soemthing.

9. GameraSith

GameraSith Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2005
    While this will be a good read, all it will take is Franklin Richards going "cosmic" again and rewritng reality to undo all the stuff and please the old guard marvel fans who don't want change..... For the record, I like Spidey in the Avengers and I like him HAPPY for once without the Aunt may has a 100 heart bypass or I'm a constant screw-up Boo-Hoo.....

10. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Slight comedic detour:

Just when J.J. Jameson thought his world couldn't turn any more upside down...

[image=http://evilgiraffe.dreamhost.com/graphics/scans/shulkie9-4.jpg]

[image=http://evilgiraffe.dreamhost.com/graphics/scans/shulkie9-7.jpg]

11. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    How can the marriage have been a mistake? Without it, Parker would have remained in a state of limbo, as would any character that simply never develops beyond the founding premise. I love the fact that a character now is not going to be the same as he or she was ten years ago. I dislike heroes who remain rooted in one circumstance for all their lives. Superman should have a son, Spider-man should be married, members of teams should get hitched and break up.

Speaking of which, I cannot fathom how Jameson is still a **** after all these years. There's been no progression at all in his character for what, 30 years now? His treatment of She-Hulk is amusing, but detestable all the same.

12. Obi_Will_Kenobi

Obi_Will_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2004
    General news which MAY or MAY NOT affect Civil War.

But important news nevertheless....

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=77848

Ben Reilly COULD be coming back!

"Asked if Marvel would ever consider bringing Ben Reilly back, the answer was a simple one: Keep reading Spider-Man. "

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Jonah did make progress in the 90's. In the months following "Maximum Carnage" and before "Lifetheft", Jonah discovered that people no longer thought the Bugle was the most respected paper in town. They would rather line it in their birdcages or laugh about it, than take it seriously. Jonah decided to stop focusing on Spider-Man and concentrate on other matters. Other news. Eventually, this was undone when Ralph Macchio took over as editor, having previously worked on Daredevil. And Bob Harras was made editor-in-cheif. They felt that they had gone too far astray and went back to basics. Hence the resurrection of so many enemies and the return to the status quo of 91. By the time of the 98 relaunching, a lot of people were hating Spider-Man. Not the comics, but in universe. Norman Osborne made an effort to undermine all the work that Thomas Firehart, aka Puma when he took over as owner of the Bugle.

As to the marriage, they felt that it was wrong on many levels. From the fact that she's a model to the fact that he's not a loser, if he's coming home to her. Marriage takes away any romantic tension and the possibility to create tension. Also it makes him too old in their eyes. Unrelatable to the teens. Which I find to be BS. But, eh.

Still, I liked that joke in She-Hulk. We need more Marvel books like her's.

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Did I see Doc Ock in ASM 533 and in Thunderbolts 104? Did he get captured in some issue?

Norman Osborn looks pretty peeved for some reason...

Glad I got Thunderbolts otherwise I'd have no idea who those people in the back of 533 are.

15. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Latest issue of Sensational Spider-Man. Very good issue. Part of the Spider-Man Unmasked arc. Focuses on a kid in Peter's class coming to terms with his teachers public "outing". The battle with Ock is in that issue.

~*!~-~SHUT YOUR EVIL, EVIL PIE-HOLE~-~!*~

16. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Blah, I've spent too much on comics already. [face_plain]

Maybe next week when they get the restocks of Civil War 2.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Because Peter blew his identity. For so many years, Norman has had that over his head. Now it's useless and this chagnes everything. So Norman would be mad at Peter for coming forward and taking away his one clear advantage.

18. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Gotcha.

I swore to myself I wouldn't buy in to all the tie-ins and just get Frontline and the main limited series. I have failed :(

19. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm just getting the core series. And a few individual done-in-one books that interest me.

20. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    It's not too bad because I don't buy any other comics except Legacy. Nevertheless I doubt I'll buy all the tie-ins, far too many for my taste.

Plus I may avoid such stupidity as seeing Wolverine regenerate from a skeleton in a couple of minutes.

21. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    That was the most ridiculouse thing ever.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Just as bad as Wolverine being ripped in two over in the Ultimate continuity.

23. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i wish i started reading this when it first came out. is there any chance of getting 1 and 2 still? i'm really interested in this story

24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Marvel has reprinted the core Civil War books like mad since they've come out. They shouldn't be hard to find.

25. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Yeah, the two shops I visit are getting like 50 new copies each of #2 either this week or next. Seems it's been pretty successful, at least here.

Man, Speedball is having a rough time of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.