main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass Effect 1,2 & 3 -- Action (RPGs?) made by BioWare (ME3 Spoilers Hidden!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lord-Draco, Oct 5, 2005.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Yes, you can punch in ME1 but it isn't reliable. It's a lot easier in ME2 when you can unload a clip into something, melee attack to keep it back, pop the clip, and then finish it off. If you're backed up against a wall with three or four husks it's not going to work out well for you. You might be able to melee out of it, but trying to fight out of it and not knowing if it'll shoot or melee just makes things hard.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I would have to disagree, I think it's reliable, it's based on range. You can also upgrade your melee power, especially with a Vanguard, a character meant for melee range. It wouldn't make sense for an adept to hit hard.

If you're backed up against a wall surrounded by three or four husks, you shouldn't be able to melee your way out.

I prefer it that way, I don't like one hit melee kills.

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Whoops, I forgot there was a punch ability in ME1... I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I just had really bad memories of it, so I tried to forget, I think.

I don't remember exactly how you got to punch something in ME1... which is kind of stupid, since all they had to do was assign a button to let you punch, which they did in ME2, and it works out fine. In ME1, it was a lot harder to use. Like I remember during the Feros mission, when I'm trying not to kill the mind controlled colonists, I get up close to them to punch them out, but it still won't trigger, and instead I accidentally kill them. I don't remember exactly, but I think there were quite a few other times when the punching just got in the way. I think charging krogan were involved, but I try not to dwell on the bad memories too much. ME1 just had quite a few of those problems that seemed obviously annoying, but were still in the game (like how the Mako couldn't shoot something that was right in front of it, apparently because of the turret). At least with ME2 they fixed it (like giving you a punch button), or bypassed the problem altogether (by throwing out the Mako for instance).

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I didn't have a problem with it, but I understand if others did, it's not the most efficient way of doing it. It's definitely better in ME2.

Saving all the colonists on Feros was just flat out hard even if everything goes right.

As for melee, in ME1 the button is the same as the fire weapon button, left-click on PC. When you get in proper range you hit the fire weapon button and it automatically melees instead of shooting your weapon. I'm sure it's the same on Xbox, whatever button fires your weapon also activates melee when in proper range. The lame part is the melee range is very small, your body basically has to be touching them. If you're not close enough, you fire your gun instead.

Once I learned that, I got it.

5. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Saving all the colonists is easy, or at least I found it to be easy. You make sure that you've got all the grenade capacity upgrades so you're carrying a lot with you, which makes things even easier. Before you take on the colonists, you need to talk to someone who'll give you a grenade upgrade that'll just knock the colonists out. If you do Feros last then you shouldn't have to worry about being shot at so much, and you just throw the grenades around.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks for all the comments about Horizon - makes me feel quite a bit better!

7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I think BioWare should've thought of such an option for the PC and Xbox versions as well. For example, when starting a new game without importing any previous ME1 or ME2 save file, the game starts right off the bat with a default Renegade option: Shepard didn't save the Council during Sovereign's attack on the Citadel. That alone can provoke certain not-so-pleasant scenarios when travelling to the Citadel. Bioware/EA should've consider a better system to create "A Story So Far" for people who didn't play play the previous game.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's the one flaw - the comic starts after that intro sequence with that option set, really confusing to me then I looked up how it worked.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ok....

I have got...

4 loyalty missions
    3 recruitment missions
    1 Blue Suns missions

PLUS Overlord and Shadow Broker open!

What the hell do I go and do first? This is nuts, very fun, but totally nuts!

10. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Save the Shadow Broker for after the suicide mission. Beyond that, just make sure you get all the loyalty missions done!

11. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Why save the Shadow Broker for after? I'm just curious, those are the last two primary missions I have left to do.

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I think Shadow Broker works best AFTER the suicide mission since it serves as a nice little epilogue to the whole ME2 experience. And if you happened to stay loyal to our favorite Asari, Liara, that's where you get your payoff (should you decide to continue that relationship, of course). But you can do it at any point after meeting Liara on Illium and doing her small side-quests regarding the Shadow Broker.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    &^%$£"! hell!

Just done the Colletor Ship mission and while it wasn't as hard as Horizon, it certainly had its moments - like when I had to take on Collectors AND a Praetorian! Somehow survived that. Then chewed out Illusive Man over it all.

Definitely doing better though - there was the ultimate downer mission, 2 missiles launched, you've got to the killswitch - oh wait, it only hits one and you can do nothing about the other! Bas-tards.

14. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I saved the military port and infrastructure. You can always get more settlers willing to go into the frontier. And giving up the colony to save the people just gives the Batarians what they want. I for one will never let the terrorists win, no matter what the cost. But everything else I'm usually paragon on.

Though I do have to say that when I first encountered that mission I thought for sure that it was the head Batarian from 'Bring Down the Sky' I was all happy that I finally would get to kill him. Then found out it was just some random Batarian. One day head, Batarian whose name escapes me, I will find you and I will kill you.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    So, I have 600 MS points and will soon have another 400. Which DLC should I get first? I'm tempted by the weapon packs but the missions might be better to get now.

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I'd definitely go with the missions. IMO, the weapon and alternate appearance packs are really nothing special.

17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Yeah, but which one should I get first? The Kasumi one adds an extra person to the team, whereas I don't think Overlord does. I'm not sure about Shadow Broker but I won't be able to get that for a few days.

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Kasumi's DLC rounds out your team, not that you need Kasumi for anything, and her mission is ok.

Assuming I understand the general consensus correctly, the Shadow Broker DLC is the most popular, and probably the highest quality, especially as it essentially wraps up Liara's plot that was left unfinished in the main game, and is just very fun. Although its slightly expensive too.

After that, I think Overlord is pretty good too, although its basically another side-mission.

So, if I had to rank them, Shadow Broker, then Overlord, then Kasumi. Or there's the Firewalker hovertank too, if you happen to miss driving across alien landscapes (although Overlord has a hovertank section too). And it depends on whether you want Kasumi sooner or not, and she's basically just like Zaeed, in that she just stands there and talks, compared to the rest of the characters you recruit (with conversation choices and all). Never got around to getting any of the appearance packs, or the former pre-order bonuses (the various armors), so that's up to you. I think Shadow Broker is probably the best though, especially to get Liara back (even temporarily) as a party member, if you missed her after the first ME game.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I did the mission for Kasumi before I realised it was DLC and it's quite a smart bit of work, with them engaging in James Bond-style antics against an evil South African-accented arms dealer.

20. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I liked the Kasumi DLC simply because she turned out to be one of my favourite party members to bring into combat. Her shadow strike (?) move is really effective.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Just did Garrus' loyalty mission - it was very smart how, at the end, you have the decision to warn Sidonis or set up the shot for Garrus! You can guess what I opted for.

22. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    "Sotuh african accent"? I thought that was supposed to be a really, really bad Irish accent. Regardless, Kasumi's misisons makes for a pretty sweet caper side-missions, but Kasumi herself is pretty worthless as a party member when compared to existing heavier-hitting tech experts.

I think I did let Garrus take the shot in one playthrough. But letting Garrus become a murderer seems pretty damn low, so I've persuaded Garrus to let Sidonis go in most of my playthroughs.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Depends on how you look at, it's either murder or Wild-West-style execution. It's not as if Sidonis hadn't earnt it.

24. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Definitely an Afrikaans type accent.

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Perhaps. Can't say I've heard that many Afrikaans in my life for me to know what they should sound like.

It's murder. It can't be called a wild west standoff or even an execution if your target isn't armed, you don't give him a chance to defend himself or even the chance to confront you before pulling the trigger. I dunno, Garrus is a good "man"; letting him indulge in vengeance - deserved or not - would have been wrong in my book.