main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Syra, NY Meanders Inn - Syracuse Style

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Darth_Meanders, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    ARRRRGGGGG!! Shiver me Timbers ! Actually no one will :-( it's been cancelled. as of this morning.

2006 Mighty Minicon Falls on Own Sword
    For very obvious reasons, I don't expect many people to accept this explanation; Truth is tough to own up to sometimes for us all.

I've been searching for the words to describe what my life has been like since late July when my mom died. Can't find them.

Those of you that have been here for a while probably know what kind of summer I've had. Prior to July 27th, I wasthisclose to completing my negotiations to have a site for the MMC. Then my mom died and I was knocked off my center of reason. I took a couple weeks off, actually, as after experiencing the loss of a parent we then lost our 26 year old niece on August 8th unexpectedly. So tack on another week of being torn on what to do.

From that point forward, on the one hand, I'm being advised to push forward; Because if you don't hold this event you'll fail.

On the other hand, the spirit and caring just ran right out of me regarding comics and a MMC this September. I mean, I'd get the feeling to finish the details to pull it off ... and those feelings would just as quickly run out of my body.

And a venue had gotten(and was getting harder) because a National Cheerleading Championship had moved in and settled in the Utica area taking up much of the hotel space near my initial site.

But I still didn't give up even when I should've. I enlisted the aid of a national agency that plans and secures venues for all sorts of groups, organizations, and such. After getting their resume, and looking over their website ... it was clear that I could hold a convention anywhere BUT the Utica area. And they asked me about changing cities. And I nixed the idea. So they said they'd drop down a notch and check banquet halls and community centers. But looking that prospect over, it was clera that a September MMC was getting harder not easier. So I've pulled the plug on a 2006 Mighty Minicon.

Yeah, it's dead. Apologies to all that feel short changed, but I never learned how to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

2. Karate-Jedi

Karate-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2003
    Bum!!!!

I know JB's girlfriend was looking forward to it. Oh well!!!

Right them me harties lets start this a day early just to get intu the swing o' things.

Time to go a plunderin the high seas and looking for buxom wenches. What say ye? You salty sea dog!!

3. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    Yeah, I know several people not in any groups who were looking forward to meeting the guests from TAPS. Oh well, maybe next time.

With a ST and a SW guest at Syracuse Heroes Expo, I'm really in a quandary whether to wear a ST or a SW costume now and which one once I choose a genre. If it was a 2 day con, I'd wear a ST costume one day and a SW costume on the other. Hmmmm. :confused:

4. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    we're huge on anime here so Im guessing our costume choice for that day will reflect that ;)

5. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    Thought I'd better drop by to see how things are going in Srycuse :)

6. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    Things are cool (& wet) here , how are thing down-unda. On a semi-serious note. I'm a big fan of Steve Irwin. I was so saddened by his death it felt like a really cool Uncle passed away. I wast almost bawling watching the Barbra Walters interview with his wife. Man How sad is that?

7. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    damn I missed the barbara walters interview. I still cant believe he is gone. :_|

8. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    Boy, am I tired after yesterday's Expo but it was a blast. I hope everyone got home okay. Hopefully, we'll see people next weekend too.

9. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    Whoa! Look like the permanent shutters were about to go up on this place.

What's happening in Syracuse these days?

10. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    its been pretty quiet over here, however we did manage to make a fanfilm in March :) We gained a new member out of it .. whoot!

Other than that... its been pretty quiet..... how goes things with you? :)

11. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    We seem to be really busy. We had our Relay for Life weekend the other week and raised over $6000 for the Cancer Council here. I think everyone is fairly exhausted after that :)

A fan film huh? There's been an idea for one floating around our FF for a long time now. How did yours go? Can we see it? :)

12. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    Im trying to upload it online now :)

6K thats awesome!!!!! sounds like you guys had a great event! send pics!!!! :)

13. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    There's a bunch of pics here....

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u173/SAFF_bucket/SAFF%2007/Relay%20For%20Life%2007/

and you can read all about it here....

http://boards.theforce.net/south_australia/b10630/24997579/p22

Its a long thread 'cause of all the lead up, but you can see the response from everyone. Unfortunately yours truly couldn't actually get to the weekend despite all the preparations. I was in Houston at the time for work :(

If you ever get a chance to do something like this, do it :D

Let us know when the film is online :)

14. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
  15. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    I hope the INN hasn't dried up! I'm thirsty.

16. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    :eek: *falls out of chair *

OMG we have a customer! Hurry someone get that man a blue milk on the rocks!!!!!! [face_dancing]

17. ILoveQA

ILoveQA Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    I'll sit and have a drink... got any saranac??

hows every one doing?
    *waves to vicky*
    so um... when does the party start?

Mike

18. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    "Bottle of blue milk.....leave the bottle."

:p

19. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    I think I ahve had too much blue milk... Im actually starting to see more people in here! [face_dancing]

20. ILoveQA

Mar 12, 2002
    *gulps his saranac* ahh... nothing like a cold drink after a long day of working on those moisture vaporators.... ;)

its been a while since I got out and about... anything new with peoples?

21. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    suns out today...... people are afraid - not quite sure what to do....... I think I might melt if I go outdoors....

*grabs another blue milk on the rocks*

22. ILoveQA

Mar 12, 2002
    cheers!
    things are busy on the farm I work at... baby chicks are gettin big... we got another batch of pigs earlier this week... we get 10 beef cattle to graze around next week... we'll be full tilt before you know it...

as long as I'm here... at a bar... I thought I'd bring my guitar... any requests? *starts it off with "take it easy" by the eagles.

Mike

23. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    Bon jovi!!!!!!!!!! *waves lighter*

24. ILoveQA

Mar 12, 2002
    its all the same..... only the names have changed... every day... it seems we're wastin a way...
    cus I'm a jedi... with the force on my side.... I'm ready...ready for any bad guy...

(tried to find something that sounded like wanted.... eh)

Mike

25. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    *whooot* Waves lighter *encore! Encore!*

staggers closer to get a better look at mikes guitar.... leaving a trail of blue millk on the floor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.