main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MidWest Midwest Regional Meeting Planning thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    I used to go to a toy show called the Toy-Man at the Machinist Hall in Bridgeton, MO (West part of St.Louis) Directions: 12365 St. Charles Rock Rd. (beside Target and Walgreens across from Depaul Hosp.)

It has a pretty big hall with a small stage.

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Been there a lot G1 :) It makes me so poor.....

3. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    Does it have to be in downtown STL? We may get a better deal in Kirkwood or St. Charles or one of the outlying areas. Once you get a couple of places in mind, figure out how much it will cost to rent conference rooms, The "main ballroom" in a hotel big enough to hold 100-300 of us will run around $1000 per day. These can usually be divided into as many as 8 different rooms for panels, etc. and opened up for a saturday nite dance party. Ask for a break in the price if we book x amount of rooms. figure in what it will cost for the hotel, guest, printing, con suite, etc. and then figure out how many presold memberships it will take to break even. If you don't have enough presells before a predetermined point, BAIL. you can always refund everyone's money since you've adroitly set it aside in an account for just such a purpose. If you don't bail out and have a con that has poor attendance you'll get stuck with an enormous hotel bill.

4. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    BTW you could sell booth spaces for a huckster (dealer) room. That would be another draw and would pay for itself.

5. Mara_Jade_Raven

Mara_Jade_Raven Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2003
    While the idea to make this into a con is ambitious, since it is the first time we've tried this, maybe we should try to keep it low-key. I would personally rather spend the weekend talking with other FF members (maybe compare notes on recruiting, etc) than have to worry about pulling off a con.

By the way, Hi! I'm from the KC boards and have just gotten around to saying anything about this event. I think it's a great idea, and can't wait to meet all of you!

6. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    The simplest way to start this is to find a hotel that'll let us have 5-6 meeting room on the cheap, rent guest rooms for the other stuff, do the hospital thing and throw in a BBQ and a blowout party somewhere. Mix it all together and BAM! EconoCon 2006.

7. Mara_Jade_Raven

Apr 10, 2003
    I am going to be looking for hotels, with the help of those who live in St. Louis, and while I will keep this in mind, it may be easier said then done. I have worked in the hotel industry for 4 years, and our group may not be the best piece of business for a lot of hotels, which means they would be less likely to give us anything cheap/free. I may be wrong about this, however, so I will ask all of the hotels what they will offer us.

On another note, there would still be a LOT more planning involved in pulling off a con than there would be in just having an FF event. I say we have this first, see how it goes, and then start planning a con after we know we can pull this off. I am a very cautious person, if you haven't noticed.

8. gandalfbmg

gandalfbmg Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2002
    S'ok... the caution is welcome IMO. I think this will be an unusually ambitious undertaking, and VERY cool, even w/o a lot of the public 'con' elements. I think we need to watch out for what we at work call 'scope creep'; or in layman's terms, 'eyes bigger than stomach' syndrome. I think within Dajuan and DD's original scope: a FF gathering including a BBQ, nightlife, charity, etc we'll pack 3 days with a variety of events and noone will be complaining about there being nothing to do. Not to mention there aren't FF events this big every week, but there are small conventions every week. Originality's gotta count for something.

9. NIBBOR11

NIBBOR11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    I concur this this could be very ambitious. A small/medium gathering to start, work our way from there. Somewhere earlier it was mentioned the county may be better, possibly a little less expensive than downtown, especially if there happens to be a ball game that weekend.
    Oh by the way I'm from St Louis FF, in a little country town called Desoto, 25 miles south.

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm leaning more toward what gandalfbmg described rather than a mini-con. There just won't be enough people or enough time. Trust me, we will keep everyone entertained and busy.

Tentative timeline as discussed with DD and me:
    Friday get everyone to the hotels and take everyone out for the night. That will pretty much cover the whole day honestly.
    Saturday BBQ, games, maybe a little "pannel" talking shop about FanForce..
    Sunday Children's hospital visit. Tour of StL sights. More FF dicussion.

Saturday and Sunday's events might get swapped around a bit depending on the time frames things fall into, but that is the plan pretty much. We're talking about getting a lounge type room for hanging out, watching the films, "panel" FF talks, etc.

Hotel planning
    Now comes a huge, difficult question. How many rooms are we going to need? I know no one can say for sure quite yet, but can everyone give me an idea? I need to know so I can work with Raven to figure out how to get the best hotel deal.

Thus far I have:
    Springfield 2

11. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    Just wanted to give you a heads up Jedi_D...

We have a poll on our off-site board asking how many rooms will be needed. We will let you/my HOT WIFE(Mara_Jade_Raven) know when the tally is complete.

12. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    ^^^
    I would do that, but up here we are sooo indecisive and I'd never get an answer. :rolleyes:

I'll just let people know what's going on.

13. Mara_Jade_Raven

Apr 10, 2003
    I was just on the St. Louis CVB website to check out what is going on in the city the weekend we are planning on doing this event. For those who live in the area, how busy does the city get for the "Annual Central West End Art Fair and Taste?" Is this also called "Taste of St. Louis?" If this is a huge event, we need to work fast to secure hotel rooms and such.

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Not big at all. In fact it's really dull, trust me.

15. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    That's interesting. The rooms we have checked for that weekend are ridiculously priced. For example, the Embassy is $160 a night. On the other hand, there are some Hilton properties that were under $100. So I guess it balances out. We just assumed it was a big event because some of the hotels are charging a little more for that weekend.

16. Darth_Luinel_Kun

Darth_Luinel_Kun Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005
    I need to know when and how long this will be. Sorry to set everyone off topic.

-DLK-

17. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I have the first post updated with all that but it is:
    Date: June 9-11, 2006

18. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    FYI we may be heading out there on thursday so we can go to the zoo during the day on Friday.

19. Mara_Jade_Raven

Apr 10, 2003
    I just spoke with the St. Louis CVC and they are going to send out a lead sheet for our group. The hotels in the area will then send me rate quotes, and we can pick the best hotel from the list of respondents. I will keep you all posted.

20. titania7

titania7 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    Dajuan, did you check with the Holiday Inn at Forest Park? It's on Hampton right by 44. I was thinking that that area might be better since most of the events are occuring at or right around Forest Park. Their website lists rooms in the range of $75 to 99 a night, which isn't that bad.

The other suggestion for hotels that I have is checking around Union Station. It's really easy to get to the park since it is a metrolink stop. Plus, it's very central to the city. Also, places like the Hampton Inn there are very reasonable as far as metropolis hotels go, with rates running from $75 to 125 a night.

I could contact Fontbonne and see if I can't get the theater if we want a viewing party of sorts, if you're interested. I don't know what type of rights or privileges I have as an alum, but if it's something that we're considering, it's about a 15 minute walk or 5 minute drive from the park.

21. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    count me in...

22. Jedi_Master_Medic

Jedi_Master_Medic Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2005
  23. Mara_Jade_Raven

Apr 10, 2003
    They do look nice! I sent the group manager an email in case they don't get the lead from the CVC. Hopefully they will contact me next week with price quotes.

24. Darth_Capulus

Darth_Capulus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2005
    Ok, count me in to be there at this point, I'll have to see on job a little closer to time. Also, don't worry about a room for me, I have a place to crash there.
    DC (Zazarus for you Heart of the Allaince people)

25. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Wow, so much delicious planning to do. :D I wish I could help more, but at the moment I've got some things to deal with. I, as CR will either deliver attendance roster on my own or delegate it to someone else. I'm certain that some of the Admirals will attend. If any help is needed, let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.