main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week ending August 4

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NathanDahlin, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    This is a problem, do you not agree?

This is ridiculous. The guy's made like 42 threads about his goddamn lovelife. This cannot go on. A moderator needs to go in there and either tell him that this is his final girl trouble thread, or close it and go back to one of his 41 other threads. This is the sort of trash that is hurting YJCC, not some nonsensical spammy threads meant for fun. It is people that want to be "cool" or "popular" and will do anything - no matter how idiotic - to reach their goal.

Can I plz go ridcule him now? thnx

2. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Ditto.

AYBABTU?

3. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I agree. Either ALL of those threads need to be closed or he should open ONE, "I'm a Loser now feel my pain!" thread.

4. JediStrider

JediStrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2002
    He's not the only one either... every day another "I need some help (girl advice)" thread pops up. We already have the Love Jungle and some other threads for those types of things... why make more?

5. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    That's not the problem. The problem is several people (Valyn specifically) posting a NEW thread EVERY DAY (or damn near it).

6. JediStrider

JediStrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2002
    Agreed. But sometimes it just seems like the YJCC is turning into the love forum. And mostly it's all in a vain attempt to raise their popularity or get some compliments or other things to boost their ego. It just gets old to me.

7. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Yes, I agree... too many people or must I say, creating the same thread over and over again.

8. Crash Lando

Crash Lando Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 1999
    there should be a limit to the number of threads a person can start in a short period of time. when one person starts 10 threads in JCC within a weeks time, it gets annoying and ridiculous.

9. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    The thing with Community is that it's grown bigger. There were immature threads and redundant threads back when I was a newbie, but the population of the place was much smaller. Now, though, the number of members has greatly increased -- as has the number of "trouble" threads.

Due to a sudden, drastic change in his work schedule, Kadue found his online time severely limitted and thought it best to resign as Administrator. We've been discussing his best replacement and have agreed on Padme Bra as the best choice, due to his JC experience and programming skills.

Sorry to see you go, Kadue. :(

PreacherBoy has JC experience and programming skills, too. I think you're setting yourself up for series of similar events. [face_plain]

EDIT: Oh, and PBra's programming skills and technical abilities didn't seem to stop DP from getting his password from the Refuge and getting into the Mod Squad with it.

10. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    The simple fact is that nothing will change until people stop being such self-absorbed attention hounds

And this is the nature of the beast. No amount of moderating or 'discussion' or preaching to the choir will change any of that... that's just the type of person that is attracted to that forum

Yes and no to both these points. Yes, many people are like that.

No that doesnt mean that nothing can be done.

AYBABTU, you want to point out the problem, but want to avoid a solution that doesnt involved public shaming.

Lets make the JCC a place where these people cant do this. Lets turn the JCC into a vibrant forum where people dont get the ongoing opportunity to be selfish.

Lets do that, and then we dont have to keep complaining about these people. If they dont like it, then they will go, and we will all be better off for it.

Dont just accept it, and say 'what are you going to do?'.

Accept it and fight it.

If the JC wants to continue to be the number 1 site, then the administration has to be prepared to make a decision. Either attract the most people, and have the place go downhill, or reject a few, and make the forums stronger.

Quality or quantity.

At the moment, it seems like the administration wants to just keep up with the numbers, and ignore the quality.

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    You've lost me a little, Dagsy. Are you talking about the Jedi Council forums as a whole now? Or are you just talking about YJCC?

12. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    The JCC, which compromises a large part of the JC as a whole.

For the JC to remain the best messageboard, it has to keep pushing itself to improve. That means improving the JCC.

It means the JC administration, as a whole, needs to do something.

Is that clearer? I dont know how else to put it.

The JCC needs to be cleaned up.

The JC as a whole needs it cleaned up.

13. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    No amount of moderating or 'discussion' or preaching to the choir will change any of that... that's just the type of person that is attracted to that forum.

Though I see some truth to that statement, I disagree that there shouldn't at least be an effort to keep things reasonable. Otherwise you're just writing off an entire forum as a haven for attention mongers.

14. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I have to agree with Darth_Dagsy. It does need to be cleaned up. Maybe there needs to be more Mods? Like in the Rp. I only know of 1 Rp mod. Maybe there needs to be 2 or 3 in each group. That would give more coverage! Just a thought.

15. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    Uhhh, thanks for the agreement jediknight88, but unfortunately more mods isnt the answer.

More mods will only add confusion.

Better policy is needed first. After we have the right policies, then the administration can decide if more mods are required.

Its all about policy...direction.

16. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I agree with AYBABTU completely on this one. More and more often nowadays, when I enter the JCC, I see few threads that really attract my attention and are worth posting in. I honestly remember times, maybe 6 months ago, or a year ago, when there were maybe 10 threads on the front page out of 50 that were worth posting to. Those times are really far away now.

Dagsy is right. Something needs to be done, and I think that if we have to compromise on quantity, then please do it. The present state of the JCC is really something that we are all not very pleased about. The only way for the JC to remain the no. 1 SW forum is if we keep the standards high in all forums.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    i also agree w/ AYBABTU, there's too many threads that really add up to nothing & i don't think the All hail AYBABTU thread helps anything.

18. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Actually, I think a cult devoted to Kool-Aid, black shirts, white shoes, and riding on a comet is exactly what the Community forum needs.

AYBABTU?

19. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

i don't think the All hail AYBABTU thread helps anything.
    Nah, that isn't nearly as bad as "goodbye" threads where the person claims to be leaving forever, but comes back a month later.

*wink wink nudge nudge*

20. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    LMAO at GriffZ.

21. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    i don't think the All hail AYBABTU thread helps anything.

Oh come on. It is just some fun that people want to have. That is what YJCC is about. FUN.

AHAYBABTU!

22. MrEmh

MrEmh Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 1999
    PreacherBoy has JC experience and programming skills, too. I think you're setting yourself up for series of similar events.

?[face_plain] "A series of similar events" - what exactly are you talking about there? Being rather cryptic, aren't you. Hm.

EDIT: Oh, and PBra's programming skills and technical abilities didn't seem to stop DP from getting his password from the Refuge and getting into the Mod Squad with it.

Oh that's a load of hooey. We all know DP had interesting ways to do things and no current (at that time) moderators were able with their technical and programming abilities to spot the exact problems.

23. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Ban, did you just say "hooey?" :p

24. MrEmh

MrEmh Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 1999
    Holy Hannay, I guess I did! :eek:

25. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    Nah, that isn't nearly as bad as "goodbye" threads where the person claims to be leaving forever, but comes back a month later.

*wink wink nudge nudge*

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.