main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Movie Discussion / Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Greensboro, NC' started by Padawan311, Aug 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan311

Padawan311 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 18, 2002
    Hey everyone, I LOVE movies and so I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we can discuss movies we have seen. Whether it's a newly released movie or an old favorite, let's hear your thoughts, complaints, feelings, ect. Just be alittle careful about revealing spoilers, for those who wish to avoid them, especially with newly released movies. Thanks, and let's have fun with this..

Chris

2. Jedi_Master_Kel

Jedi_Master_Kel Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2002
    Saw DareDevil this weekend. I thought it was pretty good. Acting was okay as well as the plot, but the action rocked. Saw Bringing Down the House last night. I thought it was very funny. If you like Steve Martin you'll love this movie, especially when he dresses and acts like a homeboy (funny, funny, funny).

JMK

3. Master_Legolas

Master_Legolas Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2003
    I saw American Wedding over the weekend. It rocked. It was filled with crude humor just like the other 2. The story was good enough to where you really didn't notice that some of the ppl didn't return for this one. I would definatly suggest this movie to anyone who is a fan of the other American Pie titles.

4. Admiral_Ozzel

Admiral_Ozzel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    Does anybody know if any local theaters are going to do an early showing of Freddy vs Jason?

5. Master_Legolas

Master_Legolas Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2003
    I haven't heard if any of them would be doing early screenings of it or not. It would be cool if they did. I know alot of ppl are looking at this movie as if it were a joke, but I for one am looking forward to seeing it.

6. Admiral_Ozzel

Jun 7, 2003
    I agree with you. Ever since I wasted $$ on Wes Cravens New Nightmare I have been waiting for a good Freddy movie. Seeing the 2 masters fight it out will be great!!!

7. Padawan311

Apr 18, 2002
    I must admit, I am really getting behind on my movies, there are a few out now that I really want to see. I have just been so busy getting things together and packed to move into my new apartment that I just havent had the extra time to go.
    I did manage to watch all 3 Star Wars Special Edition movies last week and over the weekend while I was packing and unpacking. It had been awhile since I had watched them and they were all enjoyable as usual. What are everyone's thoughts on the special editions vs. the classic trilogy? I was talking to a friend about this last night. I am very happy with the very subtle improvements on the special effects and things of that nature, some of the added scenes are very cool also, the Greedo shooting first scene I couldve done without, though many feel that way. Anyway, lets hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Chris

8. Admiral_Ozzel

Jun 7, 2003
    Just took my neice to see Spy Kids 3D. First 3D movie I have ever seen. Wish it didnt have to be Spy Kids though. The effects were pretty cool. Glasses gave me a headache for about 4 hrs. As far as the trilogy goes, I watch at least 2 out of the 3 everyweek. I dig the special ed. Greedo shooting 1st? Liked it better when Han shot 1st.

9. Banthadung

Banthadung Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2003
    I agree. I like it when they update special effects, etc. What I object to is the way Lucas and now Spielberg want to make everything "politically correct" now. The Greedo scene you mentioned, Spielberg putting walkie talkies in the hands of the agents instead of guns on "E.T" are a couple of examples of what I'm talking about. Like Chris Gore on Filmthreat.com says, " It was like George Lucas took my favorite toy from childhood and broke it in front of my eyes". Restoration not alteration!

10. Banthadung

Banthadung Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2003
    I went to Blockbuster to get something to get out of the funk I was in yesterday and it was hopeless. I walked up and down the new release wall and it seems there's less and less that I want to see these days. I need a movie with energy...that's makes you feel good... that leap off the screen with the joy of the filmmakers. I can list a couple of movies that are in the vein of what I'm talking about.

Amelie-This movie is a prime example of what I'm talking about. Its fun, creative and inventive, and full of energy. You feel good watching this movie.

Clueless-Ok, OK. I know its not Jane Austin or anything....but wait, yes it is! Its a modern day remake of "Emma" and its just a fun movie. I'm a little embarrased that I'm talking out loud about my love for this movie, but the hell with it. This flick makes me feel good when I watch it.

What are some movies that are like this for you? Don't be embarrased if they are semi corny. I listed Clueless for Gods sake and I'm a freaking old man!

11. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Pirates of the Carribean was awesome!! I cant' wait to get that DVD! You know I thought it was going to be more on teh scary side so was taken by surprise when it was so humerous. I loved it!!!

I'm going to see American Wedding this weekend - but there are so many I want to see I guess I will just have to get through them over time.

12. Admiral_Ozzel

Jun 7, 2003
    My sister just saw American Wedding. She said it was great. Her and her husband have been talking about it for the last few days.

13. Padawan311

Apr 18, 2002
    I saw "Open Range" over the weekend. Great Movie! Awesome scenery, cinematography, great character development, and best of all, no nonsense, no holds barred gunfights, which is something you just dont see. I dont want to say too much for those who wish to see it, you will understand what I mean when you watch it. But it's definately worth seeing, I wouldnt mind seeing it again on the big screen.

Chris

14. Admiral_Ozzel

Jun 7, 2003
    Did you see a trailer for The Alamo? I saw it on the official web page, but they said it was showing w/Open Range. I plan on seeing Freddy vs Jason on Wed & maybe Open Range on the weekend. Looking forward to both!!!!! (& the Alamo!)

15. Padawan311

Apr 18, 2002
    Yes, they played a trailer for The Alamo, it looks awesome as well. Its about time for some good westerns again. I look forward to seeing it.

I watched Saving Private Ryan last night after I got home from work. I hadnt seen it in a couple years. I had forgotten how hard that movie is to watch in some places, as far as the realism and brutality of the battle scenes are. Pulls you right into the fight and hits you right in the gut. I love the movie though, its incredible. Spielberg deserved his academy award.

Chris

16. Padawan311

Apr 18, 2002
    Back to what my good friend Banthadung was asking...

When I think of movies that make me feel good when I watch them, I think of movies I grew up watching when I was younger. All the Star Wars Classic Trilogy movies of course, I never tire of those, even to this day. I used to watch The Goonies alot growing up, that movie still makes me laugh and feel good to this day. I am sure there are more movies like that, those are the only ones that come to mind right this minute. So many movies I liked growing up, I watch now, and I am like "What was I thinking? This is Horrible!" Ha Ha. I will post more feel good movies as I think of them.

Chris

17. Admiral_Ozzel

Jun 7, 2003
    Feel good movies huh? Well I have to say that for me it would be movies that remind me of home, you know, watching certain movies w/freinds, and then violent movie. Legally I cant go beat up or kill anybody that makes me mad, so I like watching it done in a movie. A short list would be Beyond the law (biker movie w/charlie sheen), Starship Troopers, any Kevin Smith movie, Phycho (black & white), Easy Rider, 13th Warrior, Braveheart, All 3 of the Pantera home videos, & Excalibur (I think it was made in the 80's)

Oops! I almost forgot Dazed & Confused, Half Baked, Any Given Sunday, & Varsity Blues

18. Padawan311

Apr 18, 2002
    I went to see S.W.A.T over the weekend, it was pretty good, lots of cool action scenes and all, good cop flick. I also watched the Extended Edition of LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring for the first time, I LOVED it! The extra footage really gets deeper into the characters and adds alot more to the overall story, I cant wait for the extended version of The Two Towers this November... Give me the precioouuuussssssss!!

Chris

19. Admiral_Ozzel

Jun 7, 2003
    Went to see Open Range. Cool flick. Rented LOTR 2 towers. Just got done w/it. The big screen adds so much to the movie, watching it on the boob tube was cool too though.

20. spooky-kid

spooky-kid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 17, 2003
    Yeah-The extended version of TFOTR was really good but, I can't believe they didn't include Tom Bombadil in it. He's a semi-major character in the book.
    Went and seen Freddy vs. Jason recently. It was ok. I believe I could have wrote a better story. I expected some comedy but, one part in particular was too stupidly funny. The part where Freddy is just throwing Jason around the broiler room like a ball in a pin ball machine. I still don't regret seeing it though-it was at the $3 theater.

21. Admiral_Ozzel

Jun 7, 2003
    Half-baked, Dazed & Confused, Rush, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, HOO HAW, HOO HAW, I like movies, YAAAAAAAY!!!!!

22. spooky-kid

Jun 17, 2003
    Ozzel-We definetly need to hang sometime. I love those movies. You forgot Cheech and Chong The Next Movie [face_devil]

23. Admiral_Ozzel

Jun 7, 2003
    Up in smoke!!!!!!

24. Admiral_Ozzel

Jun 7, 2003
    "Doctor Satan! Doctor Satan!" House of 1000 Corpses kicked ass!! Just bought Matrix and Matrix Reloaded. Got Matrix for 4.99 at Best Buy thanx to bestbuy bucks. Reloaded was only 14.99.

25. spooky-kid

Jun 17, 2003
    Admiral Ozzel-Did you buy rent that Rob Zombie movie? I haven't seen it yet. We should get together and watch it some time...if you bought it.

spooky [face_devil]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.