main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
  2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    maybe it's a blessing in disguise tunick. i thought they'd played better without him overall this season.

wonder if that kid might possibly have a future in the NBA someday.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Only marginally, Trimaj. With Hill out for the season, and Howard's injury issues, the Lakers need all the size they can get.*

*Robert Sacre doesn't count, despite the playing time he'll now get.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/recap?id=400278453

Just a terrible, infuriating & ultimately depressing game to watch. Only 16 team assists for the Lakers, and after Kobe's 27, the only other player in double figures was Jamison, who barely notched that (11 points). Not a sound formula for sustained success, and if Kobe keeps pushing Dwight (context: http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...wight-howard-return-shoulder-injury-play-pain , http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...kers-tired-people-questioning-shoulder-injury ), that may just push him out of town during the summer. Pierce, Garnett, Green, Terry & Courtney Lee all impressed for Boston tonight, and though they're still between the 7th-8th seed right now in the East, at least it's a solid positioning for the playoffs, a place the Lakers would love to be at. For slight comic relief during the game, this happened... :

[​IMG]

the ****? A Red Sox hat, while wearing a Laker jersey? WTF?!
    :p

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I hope that guy lost a bet.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Liking the Red Sox and the L*kers are not mutually exclusive. Different sports, ya know.

8. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    If he didn't loose a bet, he probably jumped on the bandwagons at some point.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Odd cases do exist. I'm a Steelers fan from Cleveland (but, with a good reason_. But, most of the time, those are sorry bandwagon fans.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I would like to thank the Memphis Grizzlies for giving the Cavaliers Mo Speights for absolutely nothing of consequence. That was very nice of you.

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    And while we're on the subject of liking weird teams, I'm a fan of both the 49ers and the Seahawks, and they're in the same division!

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i used to root for both of those teams too when i moved to the northwest, but that was when the seahawks were still in the afc. after the realignment there was no way i could still pull for both so i gradually started hating the seahawks.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My only truly bizarre sports contradiction is that being a Flyers fan conflicts with my firm belief that, if a person is a fan of the sport in general, that they ought to like one of the original 6 teams. And, mine has always been Boston.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thank you Cleveland Cavaliers... thank you for having such a championship level team, overflowing with talent, that you could so generously give us Jeremy Pargo for absolutely nothing.

With all of our injuries, he came in and played like a champ.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

:p

[​IMG]

Well, the nicest thing I can say about the Lakers losing in Miami (and the run LeBron is on right now? Good grief, what incredible basketball... 71.4% from the field, while averaging slightly over 30 points per game (over 6 games)? Can deny the greatness of that, sorry) yesterday was that they at least played a competitive game/didn't fully embarrass themselves. Obviously a loss is a loss, but it's better to stomach an effort like yesterday than what transpired in Boston on Thursday night. The trip would have been a disaster if not for the comeback in Charlotte on Friday (Lakers down by 20 at one point in the 2nd half, Kobe scored 14 in the 4th to lead them to victory)... of course, having to comeback against the worst team in the league is a sad statement all in itself. Regardless, I'll take the 4-3 record on this Grammy trip, and hope this team can win their next 2 games (at home against Phoenix & the Clippers) before the All Star break, particularly the game against the Clippers... not that its just a game against the Clippers, but one of my dear friends (and fellow Laker fan) has his birthday that day, so the Lakers have to win for him. :p

[​IMG]

http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/adidas_shortsleevejerseys

Ehhhhh, no. The short sleeve look just doesn't look good... Golden State already has the best looking set of uni's in the league... why tinker with that look?[/color[

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I disagree. I really like the look of those Golden State unis. Very nice.

Also very nice Boston-Denver game last night. Nice to hear the locals a) care about NBA and b) (more importantly) curse Boston

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    What will be especially annoying (it was a topic on ATH today) will be the talk of the Celtics "back in contention" if they continue to play this well. And what's good about a short sleeve look for a NBA uni? Reeks of something a college team would do. :p

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    As a fat white guy, I have a hard time wearing replica NBA jerseys because in no way can I pull off a tank top. At least a t-shirt jersey gives me some shot at it. That's what's good about it. Plus, it looks sweet.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    What ruins the jersey is the sleeve... the actual logo/colors used? Good stuff.

20. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i'm with tunick. it makes me think of a wetsuit with how tight it is.

DarthTunick likes this.
  21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/recap?gameId=400278493

Kobe not taking a shot in the 1st half, and only ending up with 1 field goal in the whole game? In a win, why not, especially with 5 Lakers scoring in double figures. And the Suns ought to bring back those 90's uni's on a permanent basis... I think they look great.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ers-los-angeles-clippers-taken-different-feel

A terrible feeling to see the kind of season the Clippers are having, one the Lakers thought they would have this year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...do-magic-hedo-turkoglu-nba-suspended/1917161/

My brother is in particular taking joy in this, for Turkoglu has always been one of his most despised players ever in the association.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/stor...chicago-bulls-says-there-chance-return-season

Not a surprise at all, probably for the best.

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    One last thing about the Laker game Tuesday night: Will Ferrell was there, dressed up at a redcoated Staples Center usher, and at one point...

[​IMG]

he "threw out" Shaq from the game. :p

timmoishere likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  24. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I still like to ignore this bit of info concerning you, Inty :)

DarthIntegral likes this.
  25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Damn... I knew Jerry Buss had been in declining health over the past few years, but it getting that bad? ****. The man has meant so, so much for the franchise & this city.