main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It is kind of hilarious that the NBA scheduled All - Star Weekend on Jordan's 50th birthday. They had to know this kind of comeback crap was coming from the Jordan camp.

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    well, as far as i know he hasn't actually said anything about it. it was just glover saying something in relation to his HOF speech. more or less, isn't it? i mean, i really don't think he'd do it.

3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well this is Jordan we're talking about. A man with an ego that really only Kobe can match in the NBA.

4. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    pfft. not even kobe can match it. he just wishes he could.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Irving wins the three-point shootout; fulfills Dan Gilbert's pledge to bring a championship to Cleveland.

tom likes this.
  6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    No Bucks in the All-Star festivities again.:(

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh, thank God, the humor was obvious. [face_dancing]

9. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005

missed this before. it doesn't get any respect anywhere but associated with a basketball court. at least not in the past few years that i've noticed. no one really comes out and says he's a great human being or anything, but they respective the competitive insanity that pushed him to become what he was. or that might push him to try the unthinkable now.

with what tom said, that he was a shell of his former self that last season with the wizards, that might be true, but he still averaged over 20 PPG, 5 rebounds and nearly 4 assists. that's production that most teams would have taken at the position he was playing unless they had kobe or someone near that level. so while he was a shell, he was still a reasonably productive shell. i still think he could possibly average 15ish points... short term. over the course of a season, i doubt he could last that long.

regardless, it's insane. but that's part of what made jordan MJ. doing the insane and making it somehow work.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Ahhh, Kobe & Shaq... brings back so many memories.

11. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    so they actually ARE friends now? i thought that was just a rumor. a bad one at that.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well I guess with Shaq now retired...

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Jerry Buss has passed away.

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

(Buss speaks at the 1:14 mark)

It's going be a very emotional, extrospective day out here in Los Angeles & elsewhere throughout the league. Though the Lakers already had a foothold in the NBA/L.A. by the time Buss bought the franchise (in 1979), he very much helped & steered the Lakers onto another level, starting right away (drafting Magic Johnson, despite West's plans to draft Sidney Moncrief), changing the culture of the franchise & league in the 80's, which forever cemented the imprint the Lakers have on the social fabric of Los Angeles. Despite the imperfections & bumps during his ownership, his enthusiasm for the franchise & the city were always a constant. Rest on, Jerry.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Kobe was filthy against Lebron in the second half. He just killed him in those 2 quarters. I'm glad got Holiday a dunk off the bench. It was really generous of Coach Stoolsample to let some of those less skilled guys like Carmelo, Noah, and Jrue play in the Heat vs Western Conference game.

17. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Now that the All-Star weekend has been endured and is thankfully over, it's time to get back to the business at hand. The Grizzlies were on a roll, with the new additions beginning to gel, and hopefully they keep that going against Detroit.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
  19. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
  20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  21. Drunk Ben Kenobi

Drunk Ben Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2013
    If LA can slip in to the playoffs they could take any of the current top teams in the west. The roster is too stacked to not be playing at a high level eventually.

Great tribute to Dr. Buss tonight.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    uh, have you watched the lakers this year? the roster isn't stacked, it's old, injury prone, and erratic. if they do sneak into the playoffs i would be surprised to see them win a single game.

DarthTunick and Trimaj like this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    While I adore Doug Collins as both a player and coach and could never diminish his contributions to the 76ers, I hope we can make a coach trade before 3.

24. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    the lakers are dead in the water this year. partially due to their coach, but also because their is like no chemistry on the team, they don't really play defense, and their just old, slow and injury prone now.

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...angeles-lakers-make-playoffs-according-report

Obviously he wouldn't say anything different, and it sure would be nice if they can, but I wouldn't bet on it.

There was some nice words said by Kobe* about Dr. Buss before the game, ending in a spotlight shown on Buss' seat in his luxury box, which remained empty throughout the entirety of the night. A win against Boston is always great, but it just meant more last night, and even if the season ends in disaster, at least this win will stand above the rest. Paul Pierce had 20-23 (I forget which) of his 26 points in the 1st half, when it was looking like he was going to have memorable, perhaps a career defining game. It was not to be. :D Having 6 Lakers score 10+ points was rather niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

[​IMG]

*A memorial service was held for Buss today at the Nokia Theater (which is right across the street from Staples), and though (by nature of something like this) there was some repetitiveness among the speakers, it was a nice, touching service to watch. The speeches made by Johnny Buss (his eldest son), Frank Miriani (his longtime business partner), Jerry West, Phil Jackson & Magic Johnson were particularly emotional. Shaq had a great line in his speech: "He gave me anything I wanted. I wanted 1 extension, he gave it to me. I wanted a second extension, he gave it to me. I wanted a third extension, he traded me."... hehehehe.