main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Policy Discussion - **NO** Politics (& maybe Religion) in Sigs

Discussion in 'Communications' started by MrEmh, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramius

Ramius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2002
    This reminds me of something that happened to my brother a few years ago on a SW board.

In his sig, he had a quote from Spaceballs:

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

Someone who had never seen Spaceballs read it, and was offended. They complained to him saying, "How can you believe that? That is a terrible thing to say", something along the lines of that. My brother explained that it was from a movie, and that he doesn't beleive that, he just thinks it's funny.

This goes to show that lots of things can be considered "offensive", not just a political or religious view.

2. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    [image=http://www.oldmatador.com/anim_monkey.gif]

Boy, that cat is gonna be clean!

3. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Chimp: "I keep scrubbing but the fur won't come off!"

Ahem...

In light of this discussion, I propose that the ban on Ethril be lifted. I never have agreed with that genius little move, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that opinion.

4. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I have an urge to make a comment, any comment, but I can?t think of anything to say that hasn?t already been said by one position or another. I can?t even say ?I agree with the Administration on this? because we?re obviously not unanimous.

[spends time trying to think of an appropriately witty comment]

5. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

With regard to Ethril, there's a difference in making a routine political or religious reference and suggesting that all Christians should be slaughtered, as he does in his sig.

AYBABTU?

6. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    I agree with parts of the administration on this issue.

In a similar vein, I disagree with parts of the administration on this issue.

I'm glad we got that out of the way.

7. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    But it was still his political opinion, just like the ones we're defending here. The only difference is that Ethril was saying something that most people tend to naively believe is an unpopular viewpoint. Besides, I don't know how anyone with half a brain could take such a comment seriously.

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It was an opinion that a large number of people might (or did) find offensive, and understandably so. It wasn't saying that he was an atheist, or that he disliked Christians even. It went beyond that and into the realm of the tasteless.

9. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    To me, the fact that this is a SW messageboard is almost secondary to the fact th at it's a LARGE messageboard. There are people in Community who I've never seen in the movie forums. Also, I haven't posted much in the movie forums since June or so. AotC is out three months now and I've discussed it to death. The 3SA isn't appealing yet because there's no spoilers out yet and won't be for a year or so. I'm here for the JCC, Senate, Amphitheatre, etc.

10. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Ok, does anyone else find it a bit distracting to have two people with the same icon advocating opposite sides of the same argument? 8-}

~Heather~

11. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    "It went beyond that and into the realm of the tasteless."

So what?

12. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Just so you know, I am the one that protested Ethril's sig. Here's an excerpt from the PM I sent regarding it --

I've never been much of a tattle-tale. Nor am I one to be easily offended. However, I am incredibly offended by Ethril's current signature. It's a fictional quote in German. It roughly translates to the follwing:

" No, no Adolf.. Not synagogue.. the church. The railroad cars fill with people of the church! " " thinking it so? Good idea! "

Ethril follows this gem with the following --"And in my fantasy alternate past, the World was saved with those simple words."

I am a Christian, and I don't think I've ever been more offended by anything. I understand that not all people believe the way I do. I also understand that everyone has a right to their own opinions regarding Christians. His opinion of me or my faith is not the issue. I take issue with his blatant disregard for sensitivity, tact, and good will, and his giving voice to his wish for Christians to be hauled away to be murdered.

I do not believe that the JC is the place to spew such hate, and frankly, I'm disappointed that the sig has been allowed to remain so long. Would any such statement regarding Jews, blacks, or any other religion or nationality be allowed to stand?

It was called to his attention multiple times that his sig was incredibly offensive, yet he simply laughed it off and refused to change it. At that point, it became trolling and baiting. He was told that he would be banned until he removed the offensive signature. He refused, and he remains banned to this day.

Good riddance.

And if you have "half a brain," then you should be offended too.

AYBABTU?

13. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    So what?

So it has no place here.

14. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Amen AYBABTU and Knightwriter.

15. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    AYBABTU, as a Christian, have you ever heard the phrase "Love thy enemy as thy self"? Otherwise if revenge is your thing, perhaps you could turn to Psalm 73 for reassurance.

Aside from that, all I'm really trying to say is these signatures (Ethril's included) are just words. Words themselves cannot do you harm, it's just that people get bent out of shape and start thinking that they can. It's kinda like money -- it only has value because we think it does. If Ethril was somehow seizing Christians from their churches through an internet message board and gassing them to death, then I suppose a ban would be warranted. But of course, that's just kookytalk. :)

16. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Why don't you use your sig to suggest rounding up all blacks and killing them and see how long you last?

And thanks for the Sunday school lesson.

AYBABTU?

17. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Ahem.

Hateful speech (which is what Ethril's sig was) is against the TOS plain and simple.

18. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    BYOB, they are just words.

However, we aren't talkign about him being condemned to hell for what he said by the Pope, we're talking about him being banished for posting inflamatory or hateful material.

I would hardly expect to be allowed to stay if I said Mao's Cultural Revolution would have worked if he'd killed all the atheists instead.

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Civility, please.

BYOB, simply put, this is intended to be a family-friendly place, like it or not. To allow signatures as the ones you see as acceptable would be giving implicit approval of them under that philosophy of family friendly boards.

20. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    First of all, I don't have anything against any specific group of people, so jesting about a Final Solution in my sig would never happen. Secondly, it's impossible to know how different my personality would be if I "belonged" to a different race or religion. Ethril had a beef with Christians, I know how I feel about that and it isn't much. Sorry man, I can only tell you what I know.

"...we're talking about him being banished for posting inflamatory or hateful material."

*sigh* I suppose you're right. I concede the point. I guess sometimes it really bothers me when people get so serious about things that I see as trivial.

21. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    EDIT: Didn't see it.

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    BYOB conceded the point. Perhaps it would be best to leave it be.

23. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    I agree with Spike.
    Anything that's inflamatory is already covered in the TOS, so why would we need an additional rule? The purpose of discussion boards are to DISCUSS. Anyone who violates the TOS to antagonize people can be banned, as the TOS says.

Sweeping policies made in regard to one problem don't always work -- it's a kneejerk reaction that limits people's rights to expression. People should be allowed to have religious references in their sigs UNLESS it's intentionally inflamatory (i.e., death to all the ___ or all ___ are stupid).

24. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    It seems like the main discussion is over, but I would like to say one thing.

I am glad that the administration are listening to the members on this issue, and are repealing the policy pending further discussion (which, no doubt, will lead to the policy being scrapped).

I am glad that they are listening.

I just wish it didnt come about this way.

25. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

No, I think we should beat this dead horse as well.

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.