main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Policy on Religious Threads

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Padme Bra, Jun 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    Okay, if we can have our own 'debate' forum, we'll be happy...otherwise, we'll cut off you paycheques!!! :p

2. Demodex

Demodex Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2001
    Why would they ban religious threads and then allow them in another forum. That's stupid.

I don't even remember you being in the religious threads, JW. Of course, dozens of your socks may have been. ?[face_plain]

3. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    I say we ban all discussion everywhere. You'll always have people who dislike for your opinion so we should all just zip it.

4. Demodex

Apr 25, 2001
    At the SC we don't ban any discussion, JediWarrior. Why don't you post there anymore?

5. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    At least unlock the bible verse by verse thread.

6. keiran_helcyan

keiran_helcyan Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 1999
    I think you're mis-remembering Demodex JW was definately a contributing member to most of the religous discussion.

Why might a new forum work? Well, those who are offended by the sight of a "Is there a God thread" will have no real problems avoiding it if its locked away in its own section I guess.

7. Demodex

Apr 25, 2001
    Yeah, Lord knows there's no where else on the 'Net where you can find Bible verses.

*rolls eyes

8. Demodex

Apr 25, 2001
    I don't remember you or JW in the threads. What side of the argument were you guys on?

9. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    My hypothesis is that the admins were smoking the same thing they were when they changed the background color to green as they were when they imposed this ban. :D

10. Demodex

Apr 25, 2001
    The ban is not that big of a deal. Go discuss your faith in more appropriate message boards.

11. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    [Supernintendo Chalmers]"Yeah, take it outside, God-boy."[/Supernintendo Chalmers]

12. Obig-One-Kenobi

Obig-One-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2000
    Fact: Nothing intrests me less than a Bible verse by verse thread.
    Fact: Me - Religion = Happy

But...

Shouldn't those who wish to talk about that kind of stuff have the right to? Especially in Community? What's to say the admins won't pose a "no more politics" or "no college football" ban in the future because those topics traditionally become heated.

I know the admins have a lot to deal with, and I respect that, but is this the best idea? Does civilized religious disscussion break board policy? (besides the recent ban on it of course).

I also understand that there are other places to talk about religion, sports and politics, but there is something special aobut doing it here; we all share that "Star Wars" link. We can debate and argue, but in the end, we all have "Star Wars" in common and simply put, that's pretty cool.

I just hope this same thing doesn't happen to similar topics in the future.

13. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    How do you post without an author ID as in above? ?[face_plain]

oh, there he is. sorry about that. There was nothing for a few minutes.

14. Darth Dane

Darth Dane Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2000
    " "A group of blind men, were told to describe an elephant. One graps the tail, and says it is like a rope; another graps the leg and says it is like a pillar; a third touches it side and says it is like a wall; and yet another graps the trunk and says it is like a snake."

Dependant of what part of the thruth you get a hold of, you might indentify it with an ethical system, a contemplative phsycotheraphy or a religion. even though it contains all these parts, it can't be reduced to any of them, just as an elephant can't be reduced to its tail"

This is describing our situation.

We have all these different people viewing a part of the truth, but won't be open to what others have found to be true to them.

The problem isn't the elephant, the problem is the blind people.

I think the ban should be lifted as well. In "The nature of God" thread, it stayed very civilised. We were all accepting that the others had different views, only discussing logicly. What needs to be banned is those people who only have a belittling view of others views. And even those should be forgiven (only not allowed to the boards :p )

What everyone should be saying is:

"I know my truth, it isn't better or worse than any others, I will keep an open mind to what other people think, and use understanding and forgiveness as the two first principles in a discussion. My derogatory remarks will only show the flaws of my own way of thinking"

Thats my dollar and a half

Edit: spelling

15. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    That's what I've been saying too!

16. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    and i for one think this discussion has gone on too long, lets just ease off on our ritalin and get back to itz

17. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    If you all are so hung up on discussing religion with your fellow JCNers, go and do what zillions of other JCNers have done and go get an EZBoard of your own. You can invite whoever you damned well please and discuss religion and everything else under the sun until you're blue in the face. If you don't like the policy here, then put up or shut up, it's that simple.

18. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Wow, Kyle, You'd make a great mod. [face_plain]

19. ElfStar2

ElfStar2 Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2001
    Yeah, he'd sure attract a lot of people here with that attitude.

20. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    I agree with the policy. I enjoy discussing religion, but I feel it's a little too volatile here.

I know everyone isn't pleased by this, but you can't please everyone :)

Amy

21. badday

badday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2001
    "I also understand that there are other places to talk about religion, sports and politics, but there is something special aobut doing it here; we all share that "Star Wars" link. We can debate and argue, but in the end, we all have "Star Wars" in common and simply put, that's pretty cool."

I just hope this same thing doesn't happen to similar topics in the future."

I agree, Obig.

Community has a very wide range of topics, but the people who post there have that one thing in common. I don't think religous SW fans should not be allowed to discuss that OTHER big part of their lives. I can see the ban as a temporary solution, but a fairer permanent one should be worked out.

"I just hope this same thing doesn't happen to similar topics in the future."

I could see politics (the second most divisive topic) becoming the next big issue.

22. TrainingForUtopia

TrainingForUtopia Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 15, 2001
    I still haven't seen a mod explain how the "Bible, verse by verse" thread is hurting anything. What is the harm in re-openning it?

23. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    It;s not the discussing religion is bad. The problem is that most talk about it is through the Christian prespective and it is not fair to many people. In fact, it is almost ALWAYS on a Christian prespective.

Second, again, why should a 13 or 14 year old kid run into a thread where someone says the only way to heaven is through Jesus?

It is not fair.

24. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Wow, 300 posts. My most successful thread ever.

[face_plain]

The Bible word by word thread was a judgement call. It's a religious topic, it makes Judeo-Christian religion disproportionatly represented in Community, and in the end we would have gotten a lot more complaints as to why we made an exception for that thread than we're getting about closing it with the rest of the religious threads.

And the truth is, if we left that one open then we'd have to let the Koran word by word open. Then some joker would come in with 20 more threads from more holy books that we'd be forced to leave open. Then, seeing the word by word threads as a loophole, people would be starting threads based on different versions of each book. Then they would want to do famous hyms or sermons. And that would escalate right back into religious discussion.

Now thinking as a mod, wouldn't you think it easier to just close that one thead and have our religious friends just buy a Bible?

25. maukid

maukid Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2001
    I'm a new user but I want to add my two cents in.

For most people their religious views are a very personal and integral part of their lives. Discussing and sharing them with others should bring people together in a closer relationship. You are sharing a part of you that assists in your personality and social interactions with others. A person can take pride that they are who they are because of their religion's teachings.

However, a civil and respectful discussion always turns into personal grudge matches. It's the very personal aspect of religion that causes this. Whether it be a person who is unwilling to listen to another's point of view, a person trashing another's religion because they don't agree or any number of other reasons. Even college-level discussions tend to spiral down unless the professor steps in.

The regression can hurt the community of this board. Because very few of the members communicate with each other outside the board in person, personal judgements of people are made soley by postings such as these. Ideally I would like to see civil discussions about religious subjects but practically it is extremely hard to keep the messages civil. The mods and admins have enough to worry about than monitoring every religious thread for possible inappropiate remarks.

I'm working so if my message jumps alot please excuse it. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.