main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New possible rule for NS -- discussion!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Mr. P, Jun 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    No, I don't like the idea... :(

I appreciate the point Mr.P is making, but I agree very much with Hew's sentiments earlier in the thread - changing the rules of what is spoiler and NS info just before the movie's release seems like a sure way of creating chaos, and also a good way of changing the very basis of this entire forum; it's a forum where you can talk about AotC only based on officially released info - clear and simple.

I firmly believe it should stay this way. If people are afraid of being spoiled when the movie draws near they can leave TFN for a while - it's the only sensible thing to do if you want to avoid danger. I will leave when the last trailer comes out.

It's very hard to see what good it would do to make official information cause for banning people from the forum... ?[face_plain] I think the admins would be letting themselves in for more trouble than they deserve. If an official doll comes out in April that says X plays Y who is a Z etc, it WILL be hard to avoid and we know that very well - so let's leave if we don't want to hear it.

The admins of TFN must leave something to the individual fan, and I think the line goes right here - every fan must him/herself make a conscious effort to avoid officially released information, this can not be the responsibility of TFN or the forum rules.

I just got a bad feeling that this place would get very messy with a change of rules... :(

Mr.P said "If we can't decide, maybe it's time for a split..."
    Do you mean you expected everyone to come to some sort of agreement on this, or does this rather reflect the fact that this was a given from the moment you put up this thread...?

If anything must happen - for the love of God, go with the exclusive HCNS forum idea. But I don't see the point of having another community forum really. Well, at least I get to keep my beloved AotC and EpIII NS forum the way it is if you go with that.

2. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Yes, we do need a few rules but come on! If you want to just talk about a small part of a trailer or a article from the Insider I don't want to have to listen to people who think every little thing that someone says about Star Wars is true, I want to talk about a few things not every thing that you gossip about. Saying something is cool or uncool you can't even do. Plus do you really think George would tell the world before the release something very good, no I think he would want to have us be surprised about things in the movie. Like do you really think George would have told us someone like Mace or something dies, no.

3. THX_Princess

THX_Princess Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Personally, I like the HCSF idea. :D

Hard-core non-spoiler fans unite!!

4. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I can't believe I'm going to say this, but while I don't share it, I do understand where Mr P's perspective on this (my head hurts). My problem with the idea of a "hardcore" non-spoiler faction dominance of the non-spoiler forum is this: it will be highly subjective as to what is allowed; and divide an already splintering group of fans into more and more rival factions.
    I've come to respect Adali-Kiri's "certain point of view" on things; and I agree that "I think the admins would be letting themselves in for more trouble than they deserve" By only allowing only admins to post topics, you're really killing the fun of forums like this: where fans can discuss among themselves ANYTHING within the guidelines of the forum. When it comes down to this forum..."it's a forum where you can talk about AotC only based on officially released info - clear and simple" I think the hardcore NS fans need to respect the wishes of those who want to talk about official information without "spoiling" the movie overall.
    And second, if the "hardcore" fans really want to eliminate any official information from the forum; then please use some kind of "spoiler rating" scale like the one I proposed earlier (based on the proximity to the release of the film). I think creating more division between SW fans is hurting our ability to enjoy anything with SW. Some of my favorite memories about SW are the interaction with fans: playing SW Trivial Pursuit waiting for TPM tickets, talking to people in line at Toys R Us before the midnight opening; not arguing over whether you're a NS, HCNS, Spoiler, Basher, ect. As fans, all I can say is...can I get a hug or something [face_love]

5. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Well, it appears taht we we can't come to a consensus -- and then, I think there aught to be two forums. You talk about the HCSF people dominating this forum... currently the official spoiler people dominate this forum. Believe it or not, there are discussions that you can have without talking about official info! And the people who are HCSF have no place to discuss their pure-speculation stuff because they can't do it here without someone bringing in a feature on the OS or an article in Insider...

That's why I feel that two forums would be best.

--Mr. P

6. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    I guess that's alright, then. But you keep saying that we'll have to split it because we can't agree. Well - 1) there was nothing to agree or disagree about until you started this thread, and 3) how could hundreds of people possibly agree on this? I think I'm just trying to ask whether this is something you really wanted to do but you just had to bring it up first, or if there has been massive rumblings from the members...? ?[face_plain]

It just seems like a private idea you want to get through...

Oh, and [goes to hug Krash]

7. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Well, it's neither of those things. I think that this place isn't very hospitable to those who wish to stay spoiler free, including official information. And so I brought it up for discussion... and in any case, the original purpose of this therad was discussing if there should be a time when we cut off official information and say that it's spoilers... not discussing splitting the forum.

--Mr. P

8. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    I think the reaction to cutting off official info from a certain date has been quite negative hasn't it? Seems like people are more at peace with the HCNS forum idea. It's the same thing really - if you cut off official info you'll also split the forum, 'cause a lot of us regulars who want to discuss official info will have no place here anymore.

Either way it's a break-up, 'cause you can't please everyone.

9. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    And that's a reason why the forum should be split. I don't discuss AOTC here anymore because there is too much official spoilers floating around, and I know that I'm not the only one, we should also have a place where we can discuss.

10. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    But do you people think you'll get rid of folks spilling things they shouldn't?

11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    No but the rules would be more clear in a HCSF forum than it is here. I mean it's clear whats a "real" spoiler and what's not, but if you start a thread and ask it to be HCSF people would have really hard to know what's HCSF and what's not.

12. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Yeah, I guess a split is the most fair thing to everyone.

Still, it will be close to hopeless to determine whether people are actually HCNS or if they are speculating based on official spoilers. I mean, it's hard enough here to determine if people are NS or if they are speculating based on spoilers. I just think you'll always have this kind of problem if you're on an open fan site and not a closed one - you'll just be dealing with the same problems on a smaller scale in a wide open HCNS forum. To avoid it you'll have to make it available only to selected folks that you trust, if you know what I mean?

Btw, Anne: Love your new icon! :)

13. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    But what if people begin to think of certain things from their "certain point of views"?

14. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    AK there will of course be a problem with drawing a line on what's regarded as a spoiler, and what's just a speculation that happend to be right, but I think that if a HCSF forum is created it will be easier to draw that line than it is in hear, simply because the forum would be much smaller than in here and if we start it up now it will be easier to set up rules quickly than if we wait some time.

I don't know if that made any sense since I'm very tired, and thanks for the compliment. :)

15. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I'm skipping out of all forums just after trailer B comes out and I suggest that many of you who have concerns should do the same. That way you don't have idiotic little trolls (like FENTON!!) spoiling everthing left and right with nobody to stop them. Honestly, where is there an admistrator when you need one? If I'm spoiled once more by the likes of that no good...

16. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    We can't blame the admins. Imo, they do an excellent job for which they don't get much credit. The fact is that on an open www site it will never be possible to protect yourself 100% from being harassed by a**holes. Even in a HCNS forum you'll still risk that. It goes with the territory. Staying away from the internet is the only close to 100% safe solution.

17. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm pessimistic so I've already given up on this forum, I would say that of your suggestions 3 is the best one. [face_plain]

18. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    I think that there's a LOT of information being given out on the official site now, and if I'd gone spoiler-free earlier and didn't already know most of it, I'd probably be pretty bothered by it...

I'd say that it's probably too late to make a division for Episode 2, but I think a "Hardcore Non-spoiler Episode 3" forum would be a good idea- simply, with no information released after AOTC allowed.

19. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    I'd vote for 3.

20. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    After reading this thread I am officially scared of coming back until the movie is released. My poor little unspoiled mind is trying to remain so. I have a fear of trolls. ;) See ya in late May.

21. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Even though I'm trying to be spoiler free, it seems harder not to catch of a glimps of something somewhere, including the OS or Insider that may very well be, in my opinion, something important in the plot. I enjoy the discussion boards, but I drop by TFN's main page on my way to the boards. If a HCSF discussion board is made, I'll probably just make that my only link to TFN, till the movie comes out. That way, I wont hear of any goings on on the OS or anything my dang mouse seems to get caught on. I mean even those few pics we've seen, with the trailers, can possibly give away a lot. Hard to decide. But, seeing how you have this forum already, it'd be best to make a new one which is completely NS. The only info allowed being things like actors who are in it. Things that reveal nothing towards the story. Not even pics.

Oh well. I hope a decision is made soon. And here's another question. How long before Epi 3 is released, should a similar forum be made? Immediately?

Isurus

22. Qui-John

Qui-John Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 1999
    Considering what happened last night in the now-deleted thread that had a massive spoiler, I thought it might be time to raise this thread back to the top to see if anyone thinks it might be worth revisiting...

23. THX_Princess

THX_Princess Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I think it is a superb idea! :) I say we put the cap on right after Trailer D is released.

24. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Yeah, I don't think that we need a "hard-core" spoiler-free forum. I just think that our current rules need to be followed, and enforced....

:cool: Mace Windy,
    one wind to blow them all!

25. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    We need a strong adminastrator, one who will bring balance to the forums.

One who will no be controlled by the buerocrats.

Mace Windy for admin!

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.