main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA New Spokane Area Members, Please Post Here!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediRacer, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Corvalis

Corvalis Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2008
    Yeah, my first one will be an Ultra saber, simply for price and practice. But I will be getting a parksaber in the future. I want one of the phase sabers, specifically the Saphhire. I also need to get one for my Obi-Wan Ep IV outfit. Hopefully it will let me qualify for Rebel Legion, then I can concentrate a bit more on my own noncannon outfit.

back to packing...

2. Darth_Nychus

Darth_Nychus Jedi Master

Oct 5, 2004
    If I can ever afford it I want the Double Helix with red blades (Exactly what I had in mind for my Sith persona) Although I might need the Defiance for my Vader outfit that I'm working on.

I would be more than interested in providing people with the 8's form of stage fighting. It's safe, effective, and if done right down right impressive in form. If I were to study the actual Lightsaber forms I might be able to adapt them to the stage combat forms and have a lot of fun.

3. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    I'd love to get the 8's down, instead of just watching them on the web. As for the different forms, I really love what NYJedi and PAJedi did with those, but there's a lot of people out there who think they can identify all the forms just by how someone swings a 'saber. Granted, a lot of forms that are considered cannon have various strikes and swings that are unique, but this, by no means, catagorizes who is using what form. Specifically one that ticks me off is a video where a kid is swinging a lightsaber, and someone says it's Soresu and starts ragging on the kid about his style. It was just a kid swinging a lightsaber for crying out loud!

My experience in LARPs has really given me an insight as to how rigid certain fighting styles are. People who practiced Kendo soon found themselves on the sidelines because head blows were not allowed. Those people quickly adapted to a broader form of attack which struck the upper body and shoulders instead of the head.

Where am I going with this? Simple, the lightsaber forms were taught and learned based on A) the types of attacks the Jedi needed to defend against, 2) the personal touch to lightsaber combat that the Jedi had, and D) the philosophy of combat selected by the Jedi as his/her life goes on. A great example of this is the aggressive form of lightsaber combat that Obi-wan uses in Ep 1. He switches to a different fighting style after the death of his Master because he realizes that the aggressive combat his master had used is what got him killed. We see Obi-wan in all the other movies use a more defensive style in combat. He learned and adapted the style based on his personality and the changes in his life. His chosen style (after Ep 1) used patience and defense above speed and agressiveness.

Soresu is one of the styles that relies heavily on the philosophy part of the form. It's style is designed to wear out an opponent, make them lower their defense, or make a mistake, and then dispatch them in their folly. It also allows a person to try and reason with their opponent without trying to kill them. We see this most clearly in the epic duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan in Ep 3. It was, as a secondary purpose, designed to deflect blaster bolts as well.

Many Jedi practiced some of all the forms of the lightsaber, meshing bits and pieces into their own. Mace Windu developed his own aggressive style to help him release some of the emotions he had within him. We see Anakin, and many other Jedi blocking and deflecting blaster bolts, regardless of their styles of choice. It stands to reason that the forms were nothing more than guidelines for personal touches and philosophy. I would encourage anyone who wants to practice lightsaber combat (I'm not talking coreographed) to develop their own styles, and strikes, and to investigate and learn many techniques common to different forms of combat (I'm talking non-lightbsaber here) and to form their own style.

One of the main reason I practice Soresu is because of the philosophy behind it. Make your opponent work, and then make them pay for it. It's a little on the dark side, but hey, why should I be forced to work towards a goal that my opponent is working towards for me? It's a round about version of some of the philosophy within Tai Chi, Shaolin Kung Fu, and a few non traditional forms of Ninjitsu. And each of them provide nice little tricks and lessons for saber combat. Like Tai Chi's balance practice and principles, Shaolin's speed and fluid movements, and ninjitsu's "no focus" technique (it's my favorite). And it's easy to learn. You just need to be quick on the blocks, steady on your feet, and know how to see a weak spot and exploit it. Mastering it however...that's a different story, and I'll let you know when I get there.

As for the other forms, they are pretty impressive. A few of them really make you work, even if you're just employing defense against them. Others are faster and and more fliud, but I think it still boils down to what each person prefers, and can physically do. (

4. Darth_Nychus

Darth_Nychus Jedi Master

Oct 5, 2004
    I agree. Most saber styles are personalized and structured forms of real life fighting techniques. Though they do throw in a few different maneuvers.

5. LadyRaze

LadyRaze Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2008
    Name: Arlene
    SW Related Interests: Love all of the movies especially Revenge of the Sith with Anakin and Padme being my favorite couple
    Non-SW Related Interests: {So we know what other activites you might like) Love Twilight. Have read the entire series and look forward to the movie.. love anime and vampires are one of my favorite horror movie characters
    How did you get started on SW: Went to see the first movie way back in 77 when I was three and was hooked on the series ever since.. had toys comics and coloring books plus the Burger King glasses that came out.

6. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    Welcome Arlene!

7. LadyRaze

LadyRaze Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2008
    Thank you so much :)

8. Darth_Thaddius

Darth_Thaddius Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2008
    welcome arlene,

It is always nice to see the spokantina expand. We welcome you to the dark order of the spokantina he he

9. Darth_Nychus

Darth_Nychus Jedi Master

Oct 5, 2004
    Welcome, and don't worry about all of the Mando's that might be cropping up. After all we supercommandoes have to drink somewhere.

10. SigmaRue

SigmaRue Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2008
    Hey I'm not really new to Spokane or anything... just new to the boards. I'm Sean's friend Stephanie, checking in. :D

11. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Thanks for checking in Stephanie! Twas great meeting you!

12. RedlegOIF

RedlegOIF Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2009
    Name: John
    SW Related Interests: Who doesn't love Star Wars. Read some of the books, collect some of the cards.
    Non-SW Related Interests: History, Military
    How did you get started on SW: I've loved SW as far back as I can remember. My mom has some pictures of me, 3 years old, standing next to some guy in a Darth Vader outfit. Apparently I was scared to death, who wouldnt' be, we didn't know that he was a softie yet in 1981 :p

13. The_Cheeser

The_Cheeser Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    How excellent to meet you! We are always excited to learn about new Star Wars fans that like to get together. Please check out our schedule, and if you'd like to know when meetings or events are coming up, pm me your number and I can call you ahead of time. I hope to get to know you better!

14. Thumpernicus

Thumpernicus Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    I got a PM to give you my phone#....sadly I am not of the correct "status" to send PM's.... so

Alex Mickschl

509-998-9274

Current costumes:

Generic Jedi
    Rebel Fleet Trooper

Under Construction:

X-wing pilot

Please feel free to call and keep me in the loop for events and meetings! I will be at Spocon.

Thanks!

-Alex

15. roxez

roxez Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2007
    Hey Thumpernicus...

Intereted in RPGs? We have a decent RPG group but we're always looking for new members. Our next meeting is Friday at 6, at Cheeser's house. Let me know if you are interested and I'll get the address for you.

16. Starseeker

Starseeker Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2009
    Name: Travis
    SW Related Interests: ummm....? Lightsabers, Swashbuckling space pirates, Pointy-eared frogs with glowrods on pogo-sticks, Shooting Jar-Jar, Chewbacca singing "Man, I feel like a wookie" and "I'm every wookie" and "You make me feel like a natural wookie".
    Non-SW Related Interests: Star Trek, Farscape, Firefly, Star Gate, Smallville, Heroes, Karaoke, Movies, Filmmaking at EWU
    How did you get started on SW: Dad bought me SW toys when I was little. I eventually got to see the movies and became a fan.

"Yoda of Borg am I. Futile resistance is. Assimilated wil you be. One with Borg will you be. Add you technological and biological distinctiveness to our own we will. hee hee hee"

17. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    Welcome Travis & Alex! I look forward to meeting you both!

18. Scruffy-Zabrak

Scruffy-Zabrak Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2009
    Name: Austin
    SW Related Interests: Movies,games,books,want to start going to conventions
    Non-SW Related Interests: Sports,Rafting,Kayaking,Video Games,Movies,All weekend nerdathons
    How did you get started on SW: I recently went through my dads basement and began going through his endless supply of collectables and starwars books and after i saw how much it ment to him he got me into it.

19. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    Welcome to the Spokantina group Austin!

20. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    Austin, Jarus Sran and I are in Coeur d'Alene, so if there is a meeting you want to attend, we can give you a ride!

21. Lady_Trea

Lady_Trea Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2007
    Name: Trea

Location: Tucson, AZ (Will be moving to Washington in six months or less with luck.)

SW Related Interests: Lightsaber Enthusiast, Movies

Non-SW Related Interests: Renaissance Faires, Elven Interests, Fantasy, Sci Fi, Live Action Role Playing, MMORPGs (World of Warcraft, EverQuest, Shaiya, etc..), Table top role playing games, and more..

How did you get started on SW: As a child I saw the SW films, and loved them - but as with most kids it was out of my mind until a few years ago when I was looking to get into something new and found the New York Jedi Lightsaber Enthusiasts group. Since I have been wanting to start a group of my own. I have various interests and Star Wars elements are added to the fold.

22. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    Welcome! We hope you can make it to the great state of Washington without any problems!

23. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    Sounds like you will fit right in Trea :)

24. Lady_Trea

Lady_Trea Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2007
    Thank you for the welcome. I hope I do fit in. Being an ex-new yorker and hearing about how fabulous Seattle is I dont think it will be a problem. If anyone wishes to start a lightsaber enthusiasts group feel free to contact me.

25. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    If Seattle is where you are headed than you might want to check out the Seattle group. We'd still love to meet you if you are ever in our neck of the woods. :)