main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    So I'm thinking about collecting the old stuff -- ALTA and whatever they call the newspaper-strip collections. What should I get first? Is there anything that's out of print that I should snatch up while I can?

2. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    The first volume of ALTA, Doomworld, is out of print, but the price you can get it for used varies. I've seen it for fairly decent prices on eBay, but at a glance right now about $60 is the lowest I can find.

Not being super-familiar with the contents of Marvel, here's my rough outline of what's in what issue:

1: The early stuff, natch. The adaptation of ANH, followed by the Jaxxon story, which is admittedly pretty stupid. But it picks up later, with the Crimson Jack and Wheel arcs.
    2: The Tagges.
    3: The ESB adaptation and assorted stuff.
    4: The Arbra stories, including the Shira Brie arc.
    5: The Mandalore, Drebble, Iskalon, and Tay Vanis arcs. Ends with Jawas of Doom, the first post-ROTJ story.
    6: Assorted post-ROTJ stuff, including the beginning of the Nagai arc and the first Hiromi appearance. YAAYYY!
    7: The return of Lumiya, the Hiromi, and the Nagai/Tof War. Also Rambo Luke.

Since I've only read a few, mostly from 1, 4, and 7, most of my knowledge of the other stories is from word of mouth. But I get the impression 2, 4, and 5 are particularly good.

3. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I've read a lot of SW stuff, kind of bounced around different eras depending on what keeps my interest at the time. I have read all of the books post ROTJ up to Darksabre. I did not care for the COTJ book, and I realize that if I continue chronilogically after Darksabre I have to read another Hambly book. I have seriously considered skipping it. With that in mind, what else would I have to read to get me up to speed for the HOT books? I liked TTT and have read the other Zahn books which came first (chronilogically speaking). Will I miss out on a whole lot if I just go strait from Darksabre to the HOT?

4. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I don't know about getting them first, but you should definitely snatch up if you can the original stories from Marvel UK's Star Wars Weekly. Several were published by Dark Horse in their Classic Star Wars: Devilworlds issues. Others are in the two Marvel Illustrated Star Wars books. And finally, the great "Death-Masque" story is still only available in Star Wars Weekly 149.

5. Karohalva

Karohalva Jedi Knight star 2

May 27, 2008
    I suggest consulting the proper authorities in Belgium, which is the headquarters of the EU, after all. Diplomats from Germany and France are also a good secondary resources.

6. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I actually just started rereading The HOT 10 years after I first picked it up and I find that Specter of the Past recaps anything missed quite well. I think the only thing that felt like a prerequisite so far is the TTT as Zahn's EU world is so rich that it constantly references itself. But, IMO not that much is really important between the X-wing books and the HOT.[face_peace]

7. rikajaina

rikajaina Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2004
    You've missed out on all the Zahn novels so far???!?! They're the best! Ah! Read The Thrawn Trilogy to start, and then personally I would move on to the Hand of Thrawn Duology. Vision of the Future is my favorite EU book, hands down. Spector of the Past isn't as good, but you'll probably need to read it first before VotF. And then I would do Outbound Flight and Survivor's Quest. IMO Outbound Flight is better. And I would skip the Black Fleet Crisis. I wasn't impressed. I'm not sure why but I seriously struggled through them and thought they were kind of boring. Happy reading!!

8. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    The only thing I'd really recommend picking up from in between in the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy and maybe the Corellian trilogy. Neither is essential for understanding HoT, but both introduce a lot of elements that have influenced the rest of the EU since that point, and (IMO) both are a lot of fun. There's some very good characterization of the Solo kids in the latter, and some absolutely great Han and Chewie and Lando and the droids stuff - like, better than in anything else in the EU - in the former. Please skip Planet of Twilight, for your own mental health!

- Keralys

9. colojedi7

colojedi7 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2007
    I have a question. I have heard about a short story with Jagged Fel as the main character. Does anyone know what the name is, where it can be found, any info? Much appreciated.[:D]

10. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Is it Red Sky, Blue Flame by Ellaine Cunningham? Take a look at this link if it is. It appeared in Star Wars Gamer#7.

11. colojedi7

colojedi7 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2007
    Thanks Manisphere!=D=

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Definitely do not read Planet of Twilight- it's a fairly dull read (only gets mildly interesting in the last moments, really). TTT is all you really need to know for HOT- but as MK suggested, you might want to consider BFC & CT which play a greater relevance to events in the NJO and LOTF series, but you should be able to read HOT having only read TTT, really. He does a good job of making his saga-within-the-saga self-contained, though he mixes in stuff from Stackpole sometimes (X-Wing and I, Jedi).

13. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    Lots of questions:

I just finished reading both Bane books. What happens next? Or am I jumping the gun? Are there plans for a third book, or does the rest play out in the comics?
    Is Cloak of Deception worth reading?
    I'm trying to stay chronological right now although I have read a lot of other books kind of sporadically. I've read Darth Maul Shadow Hunter, and even the novelization of the Phantom Menace. I read that one a long time ago as I was overseas and could not readily see the movie. It kinda sucked to get back home to actually watch the film (still in the theater at that time), but all the hype was gone. I was like only one of three people there. I heard however that Bane was mentioned in the novelization, I must have missed that part. At what point does that take place, and in what context?
    Finally, is Rogue Planet worth reading? My motivation is this, I bought Outbound Flight a couple of days ago(and I know Zahn's books are always cool), but I have these prerceeding novels sitting in my bookcase which I have not gotten through yet.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Bane's story after Rule of Two has not yet been chronicled. It is commonly presumed that there will be a third book which will include his death.

Rogue Planet is worth reading for the quality of the writing alone.

15. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Didn't think I'd be asking about these books but here goes. I've heard good things about Darksaber. I heard horrible things about Children of the Jedi. Did I hear those good things from crazy people? Since I've heard better things about Darksaber do I need CotJ to understand Darksaber?

How are these books?

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

What? What? Rogue Planet had quality of writing? Where in that monumental boredom was it? Or perhaps the constant reminders Ewan holding Qui-Gon's saber masqueraded it from me. Granted . . . the Tarkin/Seinar interaction was quite good.

Manisphere . . . Darksaber is a problem. Young readers will like. Older or mature readers will not. Wasn't a bad book, just not a serious one. At that time it was exciting to see TWO famous villains joining forces, something unseen before. It's simply another classic teen-aimed Anderson book. Realism was hurled up a Hutt's backside that would have had the even Jabba slimming with outrage. The Superman-class shielding of Ackbar's Star Cruiser that scores of Vicstars AND a Superstar couldn't blow up. "Vast fleets of armadas" going here and there. Hurling a fleet of Impstars out of the solar system?! It was a mess of realism. Read it for fun, not for serious reading.

Children of the Jedi was written by a mature author, so expect a book filled with mature diction. Teens could have trouble reading it. Starts with a lot of mushy description, that thankfully quickly autobots into swifter nononsense reading. I liked the book; it's just that the story had credibility issues. Really, was Luke not able to radar his senses and find Mingla? Could he not have sabered a few deck holes to reach her faster? But this takes away the drama and suspense . . . and it's a rare book that actually has it. The ending chapter with Leia in a sky full of garden beds lacked enough description, but her story arc was no less interesting.

I personally liked it a lot. It's not your usual star wars book, but it has value.

Yes, don't read Darksaber without COTJ first to set up Callista.

17. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Obie-2-Kenobi: I'd absolutely recommend Cloak of Deception; it's probably my favorite prequel era-book that isn't Shatterpoint or Revenge of the Sith - and Luceno's other prequel-era entry, Labyrinth of Evil is also really very good.

Rogue Planet was all right. It's a decent read, but like a lot of other prequel books, Anakin is Vader-in-training when he really shouldn't be yet. It's all right nonetheless, but not so good as some of the others.

Manisphere - I despised Children of the Jedi, and Darksaber I really didn't like. Take that as you will.

- Keralys

18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I like Anakin's encounter with Sekot.

19. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    I started reading Cloak of Deception, and you're right , it's not too bad so far. The political stuff tends to get kind of slow sometimes, but it's bearable. As opposed to all the post ROTJ political stuff which is terrible in my opinion. That being said, I have not read any NJO stuff yet. I've been trying to read my way up to it. I'm still looking for the Darth Bane reference in the Phantom Menace novel, can anyone tell me about where/when/or why that happens? It has been so long since I have read the PM that at the time had no idea who Bane was, I probably just dismissed it as pointless backstory.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I think it's at the scene where Maul and Sidious are on Coruscant.

21. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I've read Rogue Squadron (except the last two), the NJO, LotF of course, and the YJK series. I loved about everything I have read, overall.

I am thinking about reading the Rogue Squadron comics and re-reading the books so I can read the last two in the series finally.

EDIT: Oh, and I have read the Courtship of Princess Leia.

gmiller2233 likes this.
  22. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Oh, goodness, yes. The RS comics are reputedly great (still trying to get there myself) but Isard's Revenge is probably my favorite of the MWS RS books, and Starfighters of Adumar is brilliant.

Other recommendations would be to look at Shatterpoint, the Ep. III novelization, and Cloak of Deception and Labyrinth of Evil, which are (IMO) the best of the prequel material out there. Republic Commando: Hard Contact is also very good. In the post-RotJ era, the Thrawn trilogy is pretty good but I really like the Hand of Thrawn duology.

And you must read I, Jedi. Easily the best standalone novel of the entire Bantam run, bar none.

- Keralys

23. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Do listen to Master Keralys about the last two X-wing novels. They just never lag. Do check into the third X-wing Omnibus if you're so inclined. It's brilliant stuff. Dubbed "The Rise of Isard", it's the best of the X-wing comics and I'd give it a try before the first Omnibus or second as they aren't a prerequisite for enjoying the amazing 3rd Omnibus.

I'm rereading it right now and I couldn't recommend it more passionately. I find it a much grander novel years later. It is up there with anything Stover has ever written.[face_peace]

24. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    Yeah, I,Jedi was pretty good. More of an adult read than the Jedi Academy books, although I liked those as well. The coolest book I've read lately (my opinion), is Darth Maul Shadow Hunter. Lots of fast paced stuff.

25. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Oh! I've also read all the movie novelizations. :p Forgot to mention that!

I've picked up the Rogue Squadron omnibuses Vol 2 & 3 .

I also own Shatterpoint and I, Jedi but haven't read them yet. After I finish the Rogue Squadron series, I think I'll read I, Jedi and then maybe go read some prequel stuff.