main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Master Agoraphobia

Master Agoraphobia Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Okay, this is all great info!

Just to clarify, would I be okay to read Darth Plagueis after reading Cloak of Deception and Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter? Or would I absolutely need to read additional literature as well before Darth Plagueis? I'm extremely anxious to get to it! :p

thesevegetables likes this.
  2. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Or you could just skip all of that and jump right into Plagueis.;)

Yes. You can totally get into Plagueis after COD and DM:SH. All of the copious references that Catherine and 2ndQuest listed are great and do enhance the novel greatly. But the book was also written to be understood and appreciated by a fan who only knows the movies. But yeah. Listen to Quest on the recommendations but don't feel rushed. It's not a master class.:)

3. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    That would be fine. Cloak of Deception is the work most heavily referenced in the books, iirc.
    Shadow Hunter would be a good idea, too.

Enjoy!

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, DP can be read first if you'd like- but since both COD & DMSH are worthwhile reads, if you'd prefer to keep their twists a surprise, reading them first is ideal.

JC:AOW & DM comics are optional- you definitely don't need to read them before DP, even if they are set during it: read them before, after or never, depending on your mood. All the other books/comics are just "after DP" suggestions for the era in general.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I found that this was extremely fun to do on a reread, though I don't know how much I'd recommend it for the first time through.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I did something similar with the Han Solo Trilogy and Han Solo Adventures when I read them for the first time- but then the HST was designed with much more distinct breaks (paired with epilogues) to make that a more natural experience- there wasn't any real overlapping/retelling of episodes (beyond the epilogue summary elements for HST-only readers).

7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Same, first time I read HST I inserted the Dailey stuff, and can't really separate them in my mind. Thing about Plagueis, though, is that it incorporates everything, to varying degrees.

8. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    Hello.
    Please could anyone point me in the right direction for Obi-Wan Kenobi books? I want to find out more about his life between TPM and AotC but I'd gladly read anything prior to TPM involving Qui-Gon Jinn.

Any help would be hot!

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Rogue Planet. Anakin meets Tarkin for the first time
    The Jedi Quest series of young reader novels (sometimes disliked for the implication that Anakin is already becoming arrogant and dangerous.)
    Outbound Flight (they have a role, but not a very major one.)
    The Approaching Storm (tells what happens on Ansion and what kind of "aggressive negotiations" they had to engage in)

Jedi Apprentice is the young reader Qui-Gon and Obi-wan prequel series. They also play a big part in Cloak of Deception, set just before The Phantom Menace.

Dark-Fox likes this.
  10. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    That was quick, thank you Iron_Lord. Apart from the Young Jedi series, all those books are on Kindle [face_party]

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Not to mention the upcoming book by John Jackson Miller, tentatively titled Kenobi. It'll be set sometime after ROTS and will cover some of the time between the two trilogies.

Dark-Fox likes this.
  12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Obi-Wan also has a supporting role in Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, set before TPM. Obi-Wan also has a presence in comics, with Republic: The Stark Hyperspace War, Jedi Council: Acts of War, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan: The Aurorient Express, and Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan: Last Stand on Ord Mantell showing him with Qui-Gon. Republic: Honor and Duty shows him with Anakin before AOTC.

Dark-Fox likes this.
  13. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    Thank you gentlemen. How's this for a reading order: Cloak of Deception, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, TPM novelisation, Rogue Planet, Outbound Flight, The Approaching Storm, AotC novelisation, RotS novelisation and the up-coming Kenobi?

Comics aside because I don't read them, isn't there any Obi-Wan centric novels set during the Clone Wars? I was kind of hoping for a book detailing his relationship with Satine, how they met and all that.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Novels set during the Clone wars, with Obi-Wan in:

The Cestus Deception- Obi-Wan, Kit Fisto, and a clone, Jangotat, are the main characters
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous- Obi-Wan and Anakin play a minor role. The book tends to be liked more for its handling of
    Yoda, Dooku, and Ventress
    There's also 5 novels which use characters from the TV series The Clone Wars. 4 of which have Obi-Wan in:

The Clone Wars movie novelization- Obi-Wan plays a major role
    The Clone Wars: Wild Space: Obi-Wan and Bail Organa play a major role
    Clone Wars Gambit: Stealth: Obi-Wan & Anakin are main characters
    Clone Wars Gambit: Siege: Sequel to Stealth.

Labyrinth of Evil- lead in to RoTS: Very heavily Obi-Wan & Anakin focussed.

Currently there's no novels about him and Satine.

Two younger-aged novels by Jude Watson also focus on the Clone Wars, with Obi-Wan playing a big part- Legacy of the Jedi and Secrets of the Jedi- and are available as an omnibus.

Dark-Fox likes this.
  15. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Not sure you need The Approaching Storm in that list. It's really a disappointing book. Like Iron Lord, I'd really stress picking up Labyrinth of Evil before you read the ROTS novelization. And really, you can't miss giving Yoda: Dark Rendezvous a try.

Dark-Fox likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I enjoyed TAS- but then I like that author's style (ANH novel, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, TAS).

17. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    I just read a sample of Dark Rendezvous and I liked so I think I'll get this first. I tried the Rogue Planet sample but wasn't that impressed; couldn't figure out what the author was trying to describe about Coruscant's waste handling procedures.

To be fair I was very tired [face_blush] I'll give it another go, have no fear.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Rogue Planet has a lot of good moments. That bit about "waste handling" was backdrop for the race Anakin gets involved in. Even after becoming a Padawan he still gets the urge to race, and sneaks away from the temple to do so.

19. Master Agoraphobia

Nov 9, 2012
    Hello again. I'm back with more questions, as usual! :D I just finished Volume 1 of the Tales of the Jedi Omnibus. It was ****ing great. Warning, there will be a spoiler involved in these questions in case any fellow newcomers haven't read it.

Couple questions

Were the evil Jedi that were outcast and sent to Korriban clueless of where they were, hence they didn't know how to get to the Republic planets and what not? That's the impression I got. Because Naga Sadow followed Gav and Jori back to the Republic planets. Also, I'm a little confused about the Great Hyperspace War itself. Maybe I wasn't paying attention during certain parts of it. Did Gav and Jori have light speed? Or did they stumble onto a shortcut that lead them to Korriban. Also, did Naga Sadow and the Sith already have light speed but they didn't know where they were in relation to the Republic planets, so they never bothered leaving Korriban until they were able to follow Jori back?

Also, without giving away too much, will I see Naga Sadow again? He just fled and landed on a planet (what's the name again?) and started rebuilding his Empire from scratch. Is that pretty much it for him, or does he make another appearance in the 2nd Volume Omnibus?

Someone, please clarify this for me. Todd? Catherine? :D

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Korriban is located in a unique area of the galaxy that often prevents hyperspace travel, or at least makes it very difficult. The Daragons took a random route and randomly stumbled into the area, and so Naga Sadow used the same route to return to the Republic. This is still an early period in galactic history where not all of the galaxy has been mapped out yet, so Korriban was not well known. The Exiles landed in 7000 BBY, so by the time of the Great Hyperspace War 2000 years later the Republic was pretty much only known in myths on Korriban. So the Exiles wouldn't know where to go even if they could somehow navigate back out of the region.

And that planet Naga Sadow fled to was Yavin IV, AKA the planet that the Rebel base is on in A New Hope. As for Sadow himself, he has a small role in the later stories, in the second Omnibus.

21. Master Agoraphobia

Nov 9, 2012
    Awesome. Thanks again, Todd. By the way, I picked up those 6 Dawn of the Jedi comics and will read them after "Tales". I also be picking up the next "Dawn" comic a week from tomorrow!

22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    NP. [face_peace] Dawn is a great series so far, and the art will blow you away.

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010

As someone who's read The Approaching Storm recently, I can't say I would recommend it to a new Star Wars reader... or anyone, really. It's a fairly boring book, in my opinion.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, TAS is pretty dull. The only thing I liked about it was that it's rare for a book to spend it's entire time on a single planet, more or less exploring/establishing the varied environments/lifeforms of that planet. But unfortunately, that just creates a backdrop for events that aren't very interesting- 65% of that book is them taking a leisurely ride across grassy plains.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  25. Master Agoraphobia

Nov 9, 2012
    This is a great segue into my next question. Is there a collected checklist somewhere on these boards of Star Wars novels that I shouldn't bother reading? Or novels that if I do read them, I should save them for last because they're not very good? I've collected quit a few Star Wars novels up to this point, many of which I haven't read yet. I've mostly been reading novels from around The Old Republic Era (currently on Rule of Two).