main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Trailer Visual Effects Glitches

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by John_FC, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_FC

John_FC Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 10, 2000
    Hiya all,

You have, no doubt, all seen the new EpII trailer...

Just a note, was anyone else here disappointed to see some of the rotoscoping? I thought it looked somewhat average in places, very hard edged and bright, personally, i think them VERY different from even the TPM ones... and not quite as good...

Also, a few of the CG backgrounds were not blended so well, especially the shot of Amidala with her gun in the arena, and the shot of Mace, Ben and Yoda walking down the corridor. (Amidala was too sharp edged in the keying, and the background in the corridor screamed "matt painting!!!!!")

So, to keep this on track, does anyone agree with me that some of the FF rotoscoping is better? I mean, personally, i think they should employ Clay!

my 2 cents, still an awesome trailer eh?

john.

2. Foamy-the-Freaka-dog

Foamy-the-Freaka-dog Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2001
    I did notice that when obi blocked one of jangos blaster shots the contact flash appeared before the bolt got to his saber. I liked the sabers though.

Foamy

3. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Yes, I have to agree about that corridor shot with Yoda, Obi and Mace. Not just that the background looks like a painting, but the levels are out. If you look at the shadows on the characters and the black areas, the black isn't as dark as the corridor. It kind of makes the 3 of them look like a hologram. I'm sure some of the people here could do a better job than that.

The rotoscoping looks fine to me. There's nothing that really stood out as being "hold on, something's not right there".

But I'm not complaining, as it's an awesome trailer. Just thought I'd get a reply in here before the thread is locked for being off topic ;)

4. CalQdeX

CalQdeX Jedi Master star 2

Mar 29, 2001
    The emps office looks fake.
    Lucas might be going for the kind backgrounds that look more like art.
    Puts a new look into star wars.

5. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2000
    I personally thought the rotoscoping was great. Also, if you have watched TPM frame-by-frame as much as me, you would know that the lightsaber technique and settings are different for every single camera angle. You hardly ever see the same looking sabers in TPM. I actually commend them on their rotoscoping, especially considering they had to do it for over 100 Jedi.

Also, I think they were going for a grand painted look with that one hallway. You know it's not that they CAN'T do something like making things photo-realistic, if there is something that might seem "wrong" to us, than they most likely did it on purpose, or intended for people not to look so deep into it or not to judge it so harshly. To me, it just seems as though they are going for a very stylized look in Episode II.

Also, I personally don't think there can be such a thing as TOO sharp of a key. I must say that in most cases the sharper the better. Of course there will be some shots that call for a bit softer one.

One last thing I want to note and let everyone think about when watching things like Star Wars, etc. I believe what makes us think some things "don't look right" or "don't look realistic enough" is that we have never seen it before. Clone wars aren't real, lightsabers aren't real, big Jedi places aren't real, but Lucasfilm brings them to life, in their movies they make these things real. We percieve them as unrealistic because we don't know what it should look like, so we formulate our own opinion on what does or doesn't look realistic.

I think if we took everything as just what it is, entertainment, and stopped looking at things from a realism point of view, it would make our fan films easier and the real films more enjoyable.

6. mongamaul01

mongamaul01 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2001
    I personally loved the new trailer. There are effects glitches in every film out there. I have yet to see a Hollywood film that doesn't have any mistakes. I thought the backgrounds looked great and the rotoscoping was cool. In TPM, there are mistakes in the rotoscoping, If you watch it frame by frame there are places that the sabers just should not be. So what? It's still awesome! If Big George is happy with the way things look, then that's the way they should be.
    -Monga

7. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I agree that some of the shots look less than 100% polished. Maybe PixelMagic can lend a hand over at ILM. ;)

Remeber that it is still just a trailer, though, and we've got a couple months until final release. Also, without the luxery of frame-by-frame (not how this was ment to be viewed) the shots are incredible.

Still the trailer looks awesome! (Gotta love R-2 with his own jets!) I was also interested in seeing what Padme was ducking and running through. The bluescreen footage has been around for a while, on the making-of videos. It's better to see her actually working against "dangerous" machinery rather than a blue sheet.

The battles and military hardware look amazing! I'm really looking forward to May!

Have fun!

8. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    I think that youpeople all have entirely TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS to be dwelling on things like this.

Sheesh ..... can't anyone simply be ENTERTAINED anymore?? [face_plain]

9. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    Honestly, that has been one of the side effects of this hobby for me.

I used to watch movies and simply enjoy what I was seeing. Now that I'm so involved in learning how to do compositing, make effects and assemble a movie, I find that I spend as much time thinking about "How did they make that shot?" as "Wow! That was cool!"

All a part of the hobby though. It can be as entertaining figuring out how a shot was made!

Have fun!

10. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, I think that trailer showed the Anonymous Director who's boss :p

11. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Ha ha....If I ever work at ILM it will be ten years from now because my skills are horrible right now. I can't 3D model, texture map, chracter animate, render out anything realistic other than 3DS Max and Lightwave. ILM uses neither one of the programs. But, I'm looking more toward Digtial Domain or Sony Imageworks anyway.

Yeah, and that hallway corridor scene...FIX THAT NOW LUCAS! Gosh, send me that scene in a MAX file, I'll make it look better, and I don't have RENDERMAN! Ha ha, in all seriousness, I really do hope they fix some of those effects. That scene where the stormtroopers are lined up in formation, and the star destroyer things are taking off....that looked completely CG and not photorealistic at all. We don't want Star Wars to be artistic, we want them realistic! That's part of what made the original Star Wars so famous.

12. Assassin

Assassin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2000
    Give me a break guys!

The movie isn't even done yet. Remember in TPM trailers there was incomplete footage. Example: during the Gun Gun battle we don't see the sheild bubbles that were deployed around the Gun Gun's.

Face it people....we still have 2 months to wait. Judge it then.

13. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Another consideration: ILM's primary concern is making the film look good on screen, as opposed to making it look good on your computer monitor or even television for that matter. People didn't come out of Sho West blown away for no reason...

14. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    I am dying of laughter here .........

To think that ANY of you think you could TOUCH the artistry of George Lucas and/or the ILM artists is HILARIOUS.

Tell you what ... you think you can do such a better job .... PROVE IT.

15. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    You know guys... I might be the only one here, but I really like the way this hallway looks. I don't mean the design, you heard me right, I like how they composited it. You know, I know a lot of people who think the effects are bad when here, they would be judged as very photorealistic. Maybe they are going to make them "better". Maybe they won't touch it again ( :) ), maybe they had it looking worse.
    Maybe they even had it looking better, but took a step back, because as quoted before, it looked too good.

That's just my opinion, I like it the way it is. I liked the rotoscoping too. For those of you who think it's not the same quality as TPM (not my opinion) : maybe they're smoothly going back to an OT style, since they're doing the same with the design.

I would complain about one thing, that has nothing to do with effects : I personnaly think there was too much action in it. I really enjoyed it, and went "WOW !!!!" sometimes, but I was happy when it stopped. I have to think of Forbidden Love to realize the movie will have several rythms, that it's all gonna be very good. Mystery remains my favorite, somewhat.

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    JediTAC

Okay, give me the source footage and I will :p

17. citizen

citizen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 2001
    Wow!!
    I thought I was the only one that thought the rotoscoping was bad. I'm watching the trailer on my big screen and when it was over I thought cool, But then I started to think about some of the scenes. I really thought that in every scene that Mace was in with Purple screen was below standard expectations. I just hope the effects problems are on the trailer only and corrected when the movie comes out.

18. JediOutcast

JediOutcast Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2001
    Ya know - You guys can technically pick it apart, and I do understand the fun in doing that. I do that all the time. You can do that in any movie. Just look at the Matrix. There are a lot of FX problems there.

But, my only problem with the trailer is this; It only makes we want to see AOTC because of the effects and CGI characters. It does not leave me with a feeling that this is a great story. It is disjointed and does not flow. There is not any mystery to it. Lord Dooku does not look menacing and Palpatine does not embody pure evil. He looks old and harmless. With TPM trailers, I could not wait to have that story told to me. With AOTC, I feel like Lucas went after more tricks then story.

I know it's just a trailer and I could be totally wrong, but so far that is what it seems.

19. UltraJedi

UltraJedi Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2002
    OK i think you guys are spending a little to much time on this trailer. i mean has anyone thought that since the movie comes out in few week that marketing just called up one day and said "give us the best footage you have so far for the trailer" and im sure the guy on the other end said "but were not done with them". the people at ILM are the best of the best, i think they can tell whats crappy looking and whats not. if you dont think so just watch the little documentries on the epp1 DVD, my must of spent like 2 months getting wattos smile to look right. and as for the parts where the light sabers look diffrent in every shot (seeing as how no one hads a real saber to test) maby the saber reacts diffrent to light depending on the angle of the camera?

but anyway enough of my ranting. just remember its sometimes a good thing to think of the technology involved in a shot before u can dismiss it as looking fake.

hail starwars

20. Douz

Douz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    I cant believe it that people are picking it apart as much as you are. I also cant believe that I agree with Tac on this either (first time for everything (just kidding Tac))

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Ok, quick question. What's the name of the bloke to whom Obi says "I like your clones" or words to that effect.

Cheers

22. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    SPOILER

That'll be Jango Fett.

23. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    Spoilers answer for halibut.....

DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT A SPOILER.
    Jango Fett without his armor.
    DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT A SPOILER.

Have fun!

[EDIT: Doh! Daft beat me to the post button again!!!! (or does the board prioritize by rank? Mmmmmmm. Have fun! ]

24. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Again, I repeat : I like it the way it is !!

And JediOutcast :

Mmmm...Palpatine does not embody pure evil, he looks old and harmless...
    Yep. He does. But that's exactly the thing : Palpatine has to look this way, I mean, the character is manipulating everyone, Jedi included ! That's the way he made it to the top. Palpatine is the best actor ever. You know : "Man, I'm going to negotiate, and I'm not gonna fail !" And when he fails, the Senate gives him full power (or something like that, from the trailer) and he creates the Clone Army to save the Republic.
    That's what he wants to look like : an old guy that only wants to save the Republic, not a machiavellian guy that wants to take it over. I mean, if he really embodied evil, the Jedi would know it. He's only one, they're 10 000. He has to get rid of them before showing his true nature.

:). Sorry for taking over the thread. I'm going back to work now.

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    "does the board prioritize by rank"

LOL

And thanks for the answers guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.