main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nominees for president of the soon to be Milwookiee Council

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by jedisister, Apr 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    Yesterday's turn out was great! We also have the next two meetings planned so we will be official before the end of CB2. So, now we need to start thinking of who we would like for a president and city rep. If you are interested in either position, please post your name and by either Weds. or Fri. we will compile the list together and cast a vote at the website, most likely.
    I'd like to put myself down for President/public speaker.

2. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    My thoughts:

I think it's great that we have a few women on board in the council! I am amazed in fact that there are so many, and it's a great thing to see so many Star Wars fans of both sexes.

My thoughts are that we ought to have both male and female on council though too, even if it's 75% one way, there's got to be diversity to create a balanced chapter.

"jedisister" is a great speaker, and we've got a terrific female accountant as our treasurer some amazingly talented and excited Star Wars fans with us, so everyone--especially you men who want to run for office, even presidency, but are afraid to, speak up now, or forever hold your peace. This is the time!

Finally, Politics--everyone needs to vote in order for everyone to feel they have a voice.

3. Outlander_

Outlander_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    What positions are there?

4. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Why can't we just have a matriarchal society? 8-}

I vote Tracey for Pres. I'll happily offer my services as graphics/multimedia guy.

5. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Please wait unitl you've had your third meeting to appoint, vote, or elect a CR. It gives more time for people to get to know each other. Also, a CR need not be the president. Several cities have many offices. The CR is a representative of the FF chapter to FanForce. Someone who is welcoming, informed, but knows the boundries of board etiquette, and a benevolent leader.

6. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I don't know what exactly a city rep does, so I'm not sure that I would be ready to nominate one. Do they get to wear one of those banners like Mayor Quimby? If so... then again, I don't think I'd look good in a ribbon, and my mom probably has Easter photos to prove it. But as for the positions that don't relate to Forcenet, and are for our own convenience and what have you, I have an alternative idea to President, etc.

My idea is this: If we are the Milwookiee Council (and really even if we're the Milwookiee Squadron, or just Milwookiee Chapter), I think it would be good to run this group like a Senate, or Council. Every member, from the newest to the ones that helped start it, is a Senator/Council/Representative. And each has a vote in what we do, since I think that's important to a friendly, social club. We would still have a Chairperson, or Chancellor, or what have you. That person would run the meeting, take care of things like that. One of the reasons I think this would work is that everyone would have a say in things, but the Chairperson would give direction to meetings, bring us back on track, etc. Another reason I think it would work is that the Chairperson is probably like everyone else, s/he probably has a few Star Wars interests, but not all of them. Say s/he likes RPGs, reading the books, and costuming, but isn't so much a collector or video gamer. It shouldn't be her/his responsibility to come up with events for things that s/he isn't interested in. For this purpose, we could have committees like in Congress. There could be a collectors committee, a RPG community, card games, costumes, etc, not to mention the business aspects such as accounting and web design (I think we have those fairly covered as we have a treasurer, and Que put up the website, and we have a few other web savy people around.) I think with this system, everyone will feel more apart of the group while finding people with similar interests, and we still have a leader to guide meetings (in a fairly casual manner I would think). I think Jedisis would make a good speaker, or whatever it would be called, or president should the group go in that direction.

- Dwayne typing, but Marcy giving her nod

7. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Hey all! Wampas, That is pretty much my thoughts as well. But, as you mentioned, we do need a person to call the meetings to order, take care of "business" and to be a Head of the council, senate, etc...of course there will be others to help out or to head up various areas of their preference. I would really like for everyone to have a say in the matters and that we vote on issues as a group. UNITY is key! Thanks for the votes, everyone, others if you are interested please let us know.
    P.S. So far we are only going to be deciding on a President and City Rep. 2 seperate positions. We will decide what other areas we need and elect people for those positions as we get more involved.

8. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Please read the message on planning.

9. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    Folks and Fans,
    Please listen to Bobafemme and leave this discussion until we are official. This will definitely turn people off. I think the name thing will be okay for now but talk of leadership should be left until later. We were missing a few of our charter members like Bujo on Saturday and I would like to let him have a say on this. So please refrain from this discussion until at least May.

10. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    For now, I agree with Mara, we'll hold off until we will be official. That will be soon, folks!! Looking forward to the start of something great for us all.

11. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    Eric has a lot of professional con and club experience. He has some fascinating ideas and knows how to get things on the roll. I nominate him for presidency (someone make a note who's taking poll) because I will be out of town until the very end of April.

I talked to Eric last night and he has a lot of connections, and a ton of experience. I think he'd be a great leader. Please note, I will not be able to post until I return.

12. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    No problem, Jenni. This discussion should not be taking place until after Celebration and we are official. So you won't miss out on much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.