main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Non "Episode" Star Wars movies, should they open with crawl, etc.?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by BigAl6ft6, Dec 4, 2012.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So, yes, ep. 7-9, then who knows? But should the non-proper episode movies follow the format of the Star Wars flicks with the big horn blast & the scrolling type? Should these movies actually have opening credits, writer/director titles? Or should they stick to the same opening format of all the other Star Wars flicks. The Clone Wars movie & TV show kinda, not really, mucked around with this (the opening title blast, the narrator intro), but when we get a Star Wars movie that isn't ep.7-9 should they open like all Star Wars flicks have before?

I say, keep the standard Star Wars movie intro for the ST and then feel free to muck with the format afterwards. Like, if there was an, I dunno, Boba Fett movie would it really fit if it opened like every other Star Wars flick?

2. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    That's a great question. I'm not sure I know what I'd want. On the one hand, I don't want the big Star Wars logo blast to get too common place. It's nice as a symbol of something rare..there's only a few movies having it. On the other hand, I can't imagine something to do with Star Wars starting out without it.

3. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Maybe just show the 'Star Wars' logo with the initial opening scene, and then go into some text - no crawl, and weave the music into the movie's specific theme.

4. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    They should open like the Star Wars: Ewok Adventures – Caravan of Courage, narration.

Then end like it did (me destroying all of my toys in a fit of rage and disgust, becoming a man and realizing life will always be hard).

Damn show.

5. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the crawl should only be used when we join in the middle of the action. I say let the narrative structure decide.

6. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well, The Clone Wars and Ewok Adventures open with narration... perhaps that could work with some of the episodes... but to be honest this is probably something that should be taken on a case by case basis.

7. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Open like the old Clone Wars cartoon shorts. By that, I mean they had marching and the logo appeared out of static - as a battlefield message would. It was appropriate to the series.

Give each 'side' film a unique opening based on its subject/theme etc.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Did any of the Ewok movies have filmmaker credits superimposed over the film at the start? Haven't seen one in decades. I can see some cool things happening, like translating aurebesh cross-fading to english or somethin'.

9. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Please use "I'm in Trouble Again" from the Droids cartoon:

10. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    I like the crawl...it's part of the thing that lures me into the universe.

Padme501st likes this.
  11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Anything outside Episode's 7 thru 12 ( if they go that far ) should be like the Clone Wars tv series and be Narrated .

Echo-07 likes this.
  12. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I could live with this actually. It keeps continuity with Star Wars stories but different enough for spinoff movies.

honestly though, I'm not as excited about the spinoffs. If I had my druthers I would keep all movies related to the Episodes whether it be in the current sequence or a series of The Old Republic films.

13. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Maybe just change it up a bit. Make the logo and crawl a light blue instead of yellow.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  14. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I love the opening crawl but I think TCW work fine without it. I think non episode movies do not need the crawl. Good question.

Echo-07 likes this.
  15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well...I'd do it like this: "Saga" (aka Skywalker family centered) would have episode numbers and a crawl. Non-"Saga" material can just have a crawl and a different version of the main theme, or maybe a wholly different theme.

Cantina Bassist likes this.
  16. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I remember paying Rogue Squadron on N64 & it the crawl helped get me in the mood. I say use it.

17. DancingBobcat

DancingBobcat Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2012
    I can't imagine that any of the films would NOT pick up in the middle of the action; that format is just too much tied to the whole Star Wars series, whether they're in the chronological Episode I-IX Skywalker epic, or if they followed different characters in between, before, after, or outside that particular Force-family.

As far as the opening crawl, I could imagine adapting the idea to other story groups; just as Lucas's inspiration for Star Wars--the Cinema Serials of his youth--used variations. Rather than a crawl, perhaps title-card type narration could be used; same classic theme, same typeface and bold yellow color in front of a star background, but flash up a few lines at a time, and tie in another SW trademark of a circular wipe, or corner-to-corner wipe to change titles, as Lucas so-often used to change scenes. That way it's clear that the non-Skywalker family episode is different from that line, but there are enough stylistic touches that it still is definitely in the Star Wars package.

18. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Every Star Wars live action movie should have a crawl, period. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Although I feel that the Skywalker Saga should be episodic, I don't think it's necessary that all Star Wars films should be, too. But, if they were to focus on another family lineage, then they should start with naming it Episode I of the so and so saga, regardless.

19. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Star Wars: Yoda
    Star Wars: Boba Fett
    Star Wars: Mara Jade

This should be the First Spin-off Trilogy. After that I wanna see Darth Bane Trilogy directed by Nolan :D

Every spin-off should have a crawl, like every game has.

20. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I don't think you need the crawl for movies outside of the episodic ones.

Awesome!

Brings back so many memories.

Fish On The Sand likes this.
  21. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I'm gonna say NO crawl except on "Episodes" so this way we can consider them the main course of SW.I mean TCW is fine the way it is and each spinoff could start the same way,just a starfield with the logo,the theme sped up,then have the camera pan down and our story starts.

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree. If it's not an Episode than don't bother with an opening crawl. I wouldn't mind narration, as long as it's not incredibly cheesy.

Echo-07 likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    This is assuming that whatever movies post ep. 9 is actually a non-episode movie but I really can't see Disney just keep cranking out consecutive episodes moving forward in time in the saga without bouncing around the timeline. Like does anyone really think they'll move right into Star Wars Episode 10? I kinda doubt it.

Possibility, maybe the ST will take slightly longer, or they'll start making it like Marvel where there are multiple movies a year, with sub-movies that lead into the subsequent episodes 8-9. Like with Marvel "The Avengers" was sort of the climax where all the various movies came together, but Avengers is spaced out after a few years and there's Iron Man, Thor, Cap, etc. So let's say there's sub-movies between 8-9 (maybe that's what Kasdan & Kinberg weren't actually contracted for ep. 8 & 9, instead they're writing side-story "bridge" movies that will come out between ep. 8 & 9.)

Which brings back to the style of these non-episode movies. The Star Wars series is inspired by the Flash Gordon serials but they don't have to exactly abide by it (the Clone Wars opens are actually more like WWII newsreels which kinda fits into the "serial" wheelhouse). I don't think there should be a set "thing" to open these movies, like I would love to see a Star Wars movie that actually just dumped you into the flick without any exposition crawl just, boom! and I love a good cut-to-black / cut-to-credits style tricks that, using the established style of ep. 1-6, it'd be weird if they messed around with it in ep.8-9.

Maybe you can use a crawl if it fits, like an Old Republic movie would kind of seem to fit to a crawl. But, say, an old Obi-Wan on Tatooine movie or a Jabba the Hutt flick does it seem to fit into the whole bombastic opening that is the standard of Star Wars movies? But I think, if we're going more into the Marvel method of movies, then only have it open like a Star Wars episode if it's a properly supposed to be a part of the greater saga. It would give it more "kick" instead of using it every single time.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Or, yes, I would be totally cool if they just opened it with "Trouble Again".

Fish On The Sand likes this.
  25. SevrinThree

SevrinThree Jedi Padawan

Nov 23, 2012
    I think the crawl should be reserved for the Episode series. I think they should try to go with another concept for the spin-offs. My only ask would be no credits at the begining. Stick with the jumping right into the story and leave the production credits until the end of the film.