main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

** NOObie's... all appz all questions **

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by George Mezori SCIFI 3D, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel_L

Daniel_L Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005

use uncompressed AVi with default renderer. the file size will turn out bigger, but advantages are 1/4 rendering time, VERY high quality

2. QuiGonDave

QuiGonDave Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2004
    That's a good advice, I'll check that out.

3. Trapper1974

Trapper1974 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2006
    Hi noob friends.

I hope this is the right place for this question - I am using 3DS Max 7 and want to create a planet with an atmosphere like the one on the Endor Max file on this site. My planet textures are all ok but I have attempted to reverse engineer the material used on the atmosphere geosphere that the Endor author used with no success. I have even saved his material to my library and used it on a geosphere in another max file. I have a slight glow, but nothing like the full on Star Wars effect I'm after. I believe I have set the lights and camera up the same too (one targetted spot at a fair distance, cone covers the entire planet).

Can anyone point me in a direction for a tutorial on how to achieve this effect or if you know of anything obvious I may be doing wrong could you point it out?

Thanks in advance.

4. Wookieefett

Wookieefett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 22, 2005
    how do i disconnect part of my biped/model... The droid is gonna get cut in half by a lightsaber

5. QuiGonDave

QuiGonDave Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2004
    Select that part and make it a group.

6. JawaPuppy

JawaPuppy Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    Hello

Can anyone suggest how to get the body and head panel detail on an R2 model (LW8.5) ? Say I start with a cylinder and half a dome for body and head - how could I get the blue panels slightly raised/lowered on the head and the rectangular body panel detail raised ?

cheers

7. Mithrawnurodo

Mithrawnurodo Jedi Master star 2

Sep 27, 2005
    Can anyone tell me how to rig characters downloaded from sci-fi 3D in the 3D Toolkit so I can animate them? I bought it 3 weeks ago and I have been slowly been working my way through the tutorials and the manual, but I cant find anything that tells me how to rig a biped for animating.
    Thanks for any help. :)

8. darthsithvalek

darthsithvalek Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Hello, im basicaly 0 at 3d compositing.But i want to ask some quastions.
    With Maya, wich models can i import from scifi3d.com? what terminations of the files do they have?

Thx in advance

9. superhara

superhara Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    Here's a stupid question. I've rendered a landscape scene using Terragen. I want to make it renderable in MAX. I have set up in my viewport, obviously to map the camera movements. Did that looks great. Is there a way to make that animated background renderable in MAX so I don't have to composite in a separate program?

10. superhara

superhara Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    Nevermind I got it. I'm a complete idiot at times.

11. jedi20111

jedi20111 Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2006
    hey dood, what kind 3d max are you using. I mean what version or type?

12. Neothehacker

Neothehacker Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2004
    Are there any tutorials on creating a quite large/ hi poly landscape in 3ds Max 8? I'm not really a n00b, but I haven't found any ways of doing this. Do you create a bump/ displace map in Photoshop, or procedurally? How do you paint the diffuse colour of the ground? How big (pixels) are textures for large virtual areas? How do you light it? How do you create grass as an object, but without too long a rendering time?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions.

13. Lightsaber_Monster

Lightsaber_Monster Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Im not sure how colouring and texturing works in MAX but in BLENDER for a high poly landscape, I go into Terragen, play around with the settings, export to a .lwo and import into Blender, if MAX can import .lwo.

Hope that helps!

14. superhara

superhara Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    I agree with lightsaber monster. Here's a quick example of combining terragen with MAX. Either use a camera plugin from terra to MAX, or set your rendered Terra AVI into viewport in max to map by sight. Then drop your AVI into environment, presto.

http://savefile.com/projects.php?pid=456274

What do you think of this zoo? The lava is way to yellow. But I love the atmospheric mist.

15. stevend

stevend Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 11, 2006
    how do u make these lights...any help is appreciated

[image=http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1669/lights0ya.jpg]

16. superhara

superhara Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    Many different ways to do that. Depending on results, if you can isolate those 2 panels, assign a object and material ID to them and just add a lense effect glow. Or you can connect 6 planes to make a cube, stick a omni in there and make the top plane 90% transparent.

17. stevend

stevend Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 11, 2006
    thanks....ill try it

18. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
    Hey guys. I'm learning Lightwave (8.5), and to practice I'm modelling a Canon XL1s, because I have one sitting next to me that I can try to match up to.

[image=http://galliform.bhs.mq.edu.au/~phil/_Graphics/Facilities/Canon%20XL1s.jpg]

Here's where I'm getting stuck, applying a face to the sides of the handle.

[image=http://static.flickr.com/31/103654900_488a71d7f5.jpg]

I can't stretch a polygon over the points on that handle. I tried going around all of them clockwise and hitting P, and it says that Discovery Edition only allows 400 points in any layer. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Thanks folks.

19. eliaskiller

eliaskiller Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2006
    I have a little question

Im planing to make a space batlle scene in 3ds max7 and i do not know how to import many ships, like an x-wing chaising a tie-figther over a star destroyer or someting.
    so can anyone help me

Help is good [face_peace]

Thanks Eliaskiller

20. Jediknightmcgrif

Jediknightmcgrif Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2004
    I'm using An Artoo deetoo mesh at sci fi.com for 3d studio max 7.

I am trying to get R2's heat to pivot like he's turning his head and when I try, His head comes off.

Can anyone walk me through the steps i have to take so I can link him up to move his arms and head at will, without it looking like he's all into pieces.

Here's the file I'm using:

[image=http://scifi3d.theforce.net/downloads/Star_Wars/SWCharacters/large_r2d2.jpg]

21. jedi20111

jedi20111 Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2006
    hey everyone. I need help with something. I not really a noob anymore with 3d modeling but how do you make lasers and explosions using blender. Its for my movie and it is turning out great but I need this so please help.

22. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Go to the Blender website, go to those forums, post the question there, or better yet, search online with Google and you'll probably have your answer.

23. darthtrakus

darthtrakus Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2006
    PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! SOMEONE HELP ME!! Can anyone tell me how or where to look or something on how to make a flyby sequence in 3ds max7 or any version? I really need to know of a tutorial or maybe someone could share their knowledge with me. PLEASE!!! AHHHHH!

thanks all

24. DarthTwilight

DarthTwilight Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2006
    I am pretty new to animating in 3d. I have 3d Studio Max 6.0. I have animated a Sith Infiltrator flying through space with the camera panning from left to right. I have attempted creating an engine glow, but I do not know how to attach it to the ship, so that it follows during the animation. Either it stays in one place in space, or the whole ship glows when I attach the splines I created. So, can someone (1) tell me how to create an authentic Star Wars engine glow, and (2) how to attach it to the ship so it moves during animation?

Thanks much in advance.

25. Devlin2013

Devlin2013 Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2004
    I was wondering if anybody could tell me how exactly to use the Laser Script download from the Ultimate Sci Fi resources page. I'm new to 3d Studio Max and I can't figure it out. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.