main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ NZ SW fan's musical taste ...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, Oct 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    (What is it with bands not having bass players any more?)

Seems to becoming a trend now - I dunno if it's to do with the focus on other intruments like keyboards and organs that fill the bass part well or the distinct lack of available bassists available. My band is trying to find one at the moment as our former bassist was too committed to his other band and myself and the other two guitarists are sick of taking turns.

We sometimes play with three guitars, drums and no bass and it seems to sound alright, but only on certain types of music. I guess it depends on the genre. One of my bandmates detunes his guitar something chronic to give it a much lower sound to substitute but a bass is still essential methinks. Part of the holy trinity of instruments after all - you can have a three piece band with a guitar, a bass and a set of drums.....

So if anyone knows a bassist who's looking for a regular gig......

2. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    > So if anyone knows a bassist who's looking for a regular gig......

hmmm .... I just bought a bass a few weeks ago. i should point out that I've never actually played the bass or guitar before, and have spent about half an hour practising since I bought it ...

3. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    I can play the guitar a little and the drums too, hey we could start our own cantina band ;)

4. Kai_Halicon

Jun 12, 2002
    I'll volunteer my guitar and mediocre vocal skills.....

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    And if you kids hadn't've run Buzz Bumble outta town, you'd've had a person to supply all the Star Wars & LOTR parody lyrics you'd ever need...

6. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    > And if you kids hadn't've run Buzz Bumble outta town, you'd've had a person to supply all the Star Wars & LOTR parody lyrics you'd ever need...

I thought Buzz spat the dummy and up & left of his own accord ...

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Uhh. I didn't mean it literally...

8. Kai_Halicon

Jun 12, 2002
    Glad it wasn't serious, because I'd rather feed my reproductive organs to the Sarlac than sing those stupid parodies.

9. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    I must say after aquiring the GoldenHorse album I have absolutely loved every minute of listening pleasure. So much so, I almost went out and bought the album with the bonus CD, but a serious lack of funds stopped that idea :(

P-Money - big things. Bought this a while back - really enjoy it. NZ hip hop is really progressing well. And on that note.

Scribe's new album is out this thursday! Might ahve to get that when I get some cash from summer job.

10. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Upping because the stupid thing auto-locked itself after I'd unlocked it. n00b boards.

11. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    n00b mods.

Cheers mate.

Just wondering if anyone's found any new music / bands they've thought were pretty cool.

I mylsef have been listening to 'Snow Patrol; Final Straw' and some of Lostprophets stuff it cool.

Went into a CD store last night and asked the guy "What's the Genesis, platnum collection like?" and he goes "If you can admitt to liking Genesis, you'll probably like it"

I felt cool. [face_plain]

lmao

12. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    I´ve been listening to they might be giants.

13. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    YouAgain, when I was 16 (in ... err ... 1991) They Might Be Giants' "Flood" and "Lincoln" were two of my favourite albums of all time. Those guys write the most brilliant lyrics. I haven't realy kept up with their newer stuff, but I probably should.

As far as stuff I've heard lately goes, the two best albums I've heard in a long time are "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" and "Digital Ash In A Digital Urn", both by US band Bright Eyes, who supported REM in New Plymouth and Christchurch last week. Really amazing music, great, passionate, angsty lyrics and a really strong political/anti-Bush message. This generations' Bob Dylan? Maybe ...

I have a copy of the forthcoming Goldenhorse album, and it's pretty good, although not quite as immediate as "Rivehead".

I could go on aboyt this stuff for ages, but I'd better shut up.

14. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    bloody posts. I had a huge paragraph written, then when I posted it stuffed up. :(

I was gutted to hear Mark Knoffler and REM didn't come to auckland; fan of both. Went to Dire Straights back when I was like 5yo, at Mt Smart Stadium. :)

Was REM good STH?

I'm a bit over GoldenHorse, I loved Riverhead arounnd the end of 2003, but I find myself flicking past their music in itunes and the radio... What's their new stuff like? Different/progressive or same old same old?

15. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    REM were great. I think "Around The Sun" is one of their weaker albums (although it's still pretty good by most bands' standards) but the songs from it sounded way better live than on record. I saw them back in '95, and thought they were OK live, but this time they were really spectacular. Plus, the Bowl Of Brooklands is a brilliant venue.

The new Goldenhorse stuff is probably a bit darker and a bit less poppy. It's not like they've gone off in a totally different direction or anything, but it's certainly a progression. As I said, it's not so immediate as "Riverhead", so it might take a few listens.

16. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    Has anyone heard anything by "Chuganaut"? I went to a concert of theirs, they were awesome!

17. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    So GH have gone sort of with the song (can't remember title) something like: "nothing flows like the blood of lovers, over rocks, underground" or some such. That has the 'dark' feel. Weird song :p

So, after thinking REM were average live, what made you go see them again down south?

Na, haven't heard much of their stuff YouAgain. Soz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.