main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obama election: Blessing or Curse ?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Veras35, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veras35

Veras35 Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2011
    I see that Obama has been chosen the first african american president. Why was this so? Do the people beleive solely on the idea of electing him to accept a black president being a blessing? I think it's a curse and these people are quite sexually illiterate. Oh Bummer... it's wrong to elct a powerful leader based on the idea of it being some sort of blessing. It just causes you to lose.

Aaaaaand...goodnight!

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Where are you going with this exactly? Are you saying that people voted for Obama solely due to his skin color, and that that is wrong (which I would agree with, it is wrong to vote for or against a candidate solely due to the candidate's race)? Or that because Obama is African American, he should have never gotten elected, and people should have voted for John McCain because he's the white guy?

I voted for Obama, campaigned for him in North Carolina during the primary and the general election, and I am 95 percent sure that I will vote for him again, although he has disappointed me to an extent. I don't think his race has any bearing on the way he has governed, I would feel the same way about him if he were a white man named Barry Dunham. Or to use an example from another ideology, I would write in one of my cats before I'd vote for Alan Keyes.

Historically speaking, Obama being the first African American President is pretty big, especially considering that Obama's own father wasn't even allowed to eat in restaurants with white people in some places. So in that way it's a blessing, just as it will be historically significant when we finally elect a woman. But again, no bearing on what kind of President he is.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I'm not sure what the opening premise is supposed to be about, besides something about "teh secks!1!1!" Could you clarify?

4. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow, welcome to almost-three-years-ago. Are you posting from the past? Warn Haiti and Japan!

But seriously, I'm pretty sure this dude's a racist troll who's about to make some assertions about how black folk are inferior and mucking up the pretty white gene pool. Never mind that, if anything, it's white people who are the deviation from the original, "black," gene pool.

Although I will agree with the one actual statement he made here, which is that it's wrong to elect a leader based on the idea of it bringing some kind of "blessing" to do so. It should be because they're the best person for the job. Which, in 2008, based on the available options, Obama was.

5. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
  6. Veras35

Veras35 Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2011
    Really, now? Really?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.