main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obscure Movies to Recommend

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by PtrsonsZOO, Mar 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    back on track ...

a clock work orange . one of the only kubric flicks i can watch .

2. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    that movie is twisted.
    you know what movie is twisted but I dont recomend is THE CELL that messed me up gave me nightmare's.

3. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    I like that one too, but I think The Shining is another of his great films. Problem is, that movie scares the bejesus out of me. A little too realistic for my taste.

However, if that's the sort of thing you like, check out "Ghost Story." A John Irvin film.

Starring, courtesy of IMDB.com

Cast overview, first billed only:
    Fred Astaire .... Ricky Hawthorne
    Melvyn Douglas .... Dr. John Jaffrey
    Douglas Fairbanks Jr. .... Edward Charles Wanderley
    John Houseman .... Sears James
    Craig Wasson .... Don/David Wanderley
    Patricia Neal .... Stella Hawthorne
    Alice Krige .... Eva Galley/Alma Mobley
    Jacqueline Brookes .... Milly
    Miguel Fernandes (I) .... Gregory Bate
    Lance Holcomb .... Fenny Bate
    Mark Chamberlin (I) .... Young Jaffrey
    Tim Choate .... Young Hawthorne
    Kurt R. Johnson .... Young Wanderley
    Ken Olin .... Young James
    Brad Sullivan .... Sheriff

I was truly freaked out by this movie.

4. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    I'd say this in the estrogen thread, but I promised not to post there.

Made in Heaven

My favorite romantic movie, stars Timothy Hutton and an immediately post-Top Gun Kelly McGillis. Also a lot of really cool cameos by musicians and Emmett as Himself.

5. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    the shinnin scared the crap outa me.
    but jaws that was like the first movie I ever saw and I hated water for ever I had to pee off the back porch cause the "big fish" was in the water in the bathroom.

6. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    How did that happen anyway? I was six when Jaws came out and I remember being afraid of the shark coming out of the toilet too. Was that like a big urban myth or something?

7. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Made in Heaven - That would have been an astounding movie, hd the studio not cut the snot out if. The continuity was ruined, but it was still an awesome movie. Favorite cameo = The ugliest man in rock & roll, Mr Tom Petty.

Trivia Bit - The one who played Emmett married one of the lead actroids in this movie.

8. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    Yeah, I wondered if you were going to know that film, I was going to warn you not to look it up on imdb because I just did and they give Emmett's identity away.

I've been showing that film to dates for years and freaking them out when I tell them who it is.

9. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    yea I thought I was chum for sure I wouldnt take a bath only if sombody stayed in there in case it came out of the drain.

10. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    I was bummed when the "person" who played Emmett was on Inside the Actors Studio a couple of weeks ago and the film didn't come up.

11. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    you know what other movie had me squeezin b.b's was the very first nightmare on elm street, we went to see it at the drive in and I had to pee so bad and nobody would go with me so I had to walk thru the dark to the bathrooms . man I knew I was going to die .

12. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    I totally missed the whole phenomenon when the first Nightmare came out, it was the period when I was moving here from Houston and I never saw it until years later.

The first Starcon I went to when I first got here was right after that came out, Robert Englund was one of the bigger guests, I wondered why they were making a big deal out of Willie from V ?

13. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    man that was a good show. I used to act like I was going to put the hamsters in my mouth and my mom would freak out.

14. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    In dealer's room at conventions during that time they'd sell chocolate and white chocolate mice that people would eat to simulate that.

On the '80s boy we're old theme, writing that I just realized, i've been going to scifi conventions longer than a lot of the people on the board have been around.

My first was Houston Con '79!!!

15. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    chasing amy . or anything by kevin smith !

16. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    Got em all on DVD! Marathon!!!!!!

17. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    I have the first V Miniseries on DVD, in case the youngsters would like to see the technology that we grew up on in movies. Some pretty scary stuff.

I'm waiting for Colombia to come out with "The Final Battle" on DVD as well as the series itself, they have the rights to it and their only doing it on VHS through one of those Monthly Video deals. I want to see the whole series at once, like they do now w/ a whole season of a show being put on DVD.

18. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I just watched Logan's Run the other day on SFC...pretty kickarse movie, hehe.

19. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    free enterprise . a good flick to show how trekies are . there alot of great referances to all kinds of sci-fi . i guess its how sci-fi fans are in general .

20. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    but im a cheerleader

its a movie about a girl thats gay and her parrents send her to sexual rehab . its kind of funny , the main chick is Natasha Lyonne from american pie .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.