main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Official Announcement] Here's what's going to happen - all participants post

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother 5' started by NYCitygurl, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
  2. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I'm out. Nothing against you guys or whatever (I don't even know like half of TEH DRAMA), but I'm not at a point where I can be a user that makes this game go, due to RL stuff and whatnot. I'd rather just be able to post in the JCC.

I wish you best of luck!

3. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Yeah, I'd really rather no new people be brought in. Isn't part of the fun of this game seeing who can stick it out?

4. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    great...now masterprenn left...

since he was a replacement, can we replace him at least?

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm in, but I reserve the right to make life hell for those that are making this place lame.

6. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I'm here too, however I'm hesitant to post much today until we get a bit more clarity on these rules about posting negative personal opinions.

7. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Yeah, I'd kind of like some clarity on that, as well. If we have to post smilies and our favorite color for the duration of the game, I'm out.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    It basically boils down to common sense, but the excessive recent sniping and attacks from one forum to another prompted the recent statement. You're certainly not restricted to smilies/favorite color/that kind of thing, but attacking a forum will be treated the same as flaming a user.

9. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Rogue, I've always respected you and like your style, so I'm going to be completely frank.

The remaining players are probably doomed to offend each other.

Malkie and I not only frequent two of the hardest forums to deal with, according to legend, but probably have two of the strongest personalities on these forums. The remaining players seem to either offend easier than I personally am used to (therefore making it pretty hard to keep this rule) or have no idea what the hell is going on at any given time.

If you guys want to stop the game, regroup and start over, even with the same players as well as others, I guess I wouldn't blame you.

I guess what I'm saying is based on the new rules, the players left, and the situation we're in, I don't see the game being all that it could be and we may be just be dragging the inevitable out.

10. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Nobody's "doomed" to offend anybody. I think we just all need to relax and put this into perspective.

Strong compared to what, hard compared to what, and easier compared to what? This is a game where we're being encouraged to spam and make general fools out of ourselves until only one person is left standing, who has pleased those who are watching this spectacle enough to win. What else is there we need to be aware of?

So, by your standards of opinion, everybody needs to leave except you and Malkie.

11. JediMasterAmanda

JediMasterAmanda Jedi Master star 5

Sep 7, 2005
    Actually roo, Malkie and you(you not as much) are the only ones left that have doen anything that offends me during this game. In reality your jokes would be taken the same way on the streets of real life. I've heard of people being hospitalized for joking that way.

12. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Ok, to be fair, Amanda, it's talk like this that's not really helping. Maybe roo and Malkie have said some things that they shouldn't have, and maybe their humor does run a tad on the discourteous side, but it's not really that big of a deal. We're supposed to be trying to move forward now. There's no use harping on things that nobody really can fix -- and I'm not even sure anyone should try to "fix" those things. You have one style of humor, roo and Malkie have another, and I have yet another. It's not worth a reinactment of the Peloponnesian War. :p

13. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    [insert Classics nerd comment about Peloponnesian war here] :-B

Anyways, I think this is an important statement to remember:

You have one style of humor, roo and Malkie have another, and I have yet another.

This is very true, and it also helps serve as a reminder that it is possible to have and utilize very different senses of humor as well as very different opinions without actually insulting each other.

14. JediMasterAmanda

Sep 7, 2005
    I realize that they have their own sense of humor. That last post was suppose to be pointing out how I have seen and heard things irl. It was meant for their sake as much as it was for my peace of mind, cause currently it has been hard to find. *sighs*

15. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Well, I was going to say Trojan War, (David Gemmell's trilogy is epically awesome -- literally :p) but it didn't quite seem to fit the occasion. :-B

Amanda, when people are using some kind of humor around you that you find offensive, do you stick around and continue to react until they start reacting and you react some more and soon you have a full-scale confrontation to deal with, or do you ignore them, smile politely, and find somebody else to hang out with? I mean...which is easier? :p

16. JediMasterAmanda

Sep 7, 2005
    Easier said than done when you have to post in the same forum. In rl I usually ignore them until I can't(because typically they continue and assume they are right whether I say anything or not(this is not anyone here I'm talking about rl)) anymore then I yell at them and walk away or just walk away, usually the later unless it is something I am truely sick of. Stereotyping, joke or not, is something that I am sick of and have been for a long time. Especially since the KKK painted a hate symbol on my step family's house. :(

17. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Let's back up a bit here. Comparing Roo and Malkie to the KKK is very much not acceptable. If you have a problem with something they've said, alert a mod or drop the person who is bothering you a polite PM. So either do that, or just let it go. It needs to stop here though.

18. JediMasterAmanda

Sep 7, 2005
    I was not comparing them to the KKK, I was just saying that that was one of the reasons I do not take stereotyping very well.

Edit: I am sorry for sounding like I was comparing them. It was not my intention, I suppose I should've more clear...

19. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    And again, herein lies another problem. You both see us as "discourteous", instead of the way we see each other. I can't speak for Malkie, but in my case, it's sarcasm. It's one of the differences I think that make a little of the "forum war" (lol) really not as big a deal as it's been made to be. This is taking the mickie folks, pure and simple. I guarantee you that neither malkie or I are going out of our way to be mean to you. We are making sarcastic remarks and in posts like the those above, it's easy to tell that unless we completely change our personalities, you'll think us "discourteous" instead of, I don't know...joking or sarcastic.

I think your post kind of made my point, QGR. When you say "discourteous" and "offensive" (in terms of our humor) you're telling me that we're just probably not going to mix well. And I'm actually including you in the "thicker skin" category when it comes to our perceived discourtesy.

In short, this stuff is a game, you said in your own words, don't take it so seriously. And no where did I say that Malkie and I should be the only ones left, but I can guarantee you that we are not going to entertain others by posting smilies, rhymes and songs (i.e. spamming up and making fools of ourselves) as a plan of action. I'm just being honest, here. The purpose of the game is to put a mixture of people in and see how they relate and how relationships are formed, all by doing tasks, etc.

20. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    [face_hypnotized]

I feel like watching the matrix now..

21. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Personally, I don't see it as discourteous. I said that maybe it bordered on discourteous, but not necessarily to me. Discoutesy is in the eye of the beholder. If we all thought of the same things as discourteous, I'd be one bored person right now. :p

I certainly know that, or you really need to find something to do with your lives. ;)

With respect, this is an assumption, and an unfair one. I never told you to alter your personality in any way, and, if anything, I emphasized the fact that we all laugh at different things. This is ok. This is better than ok, this is human. I can't watch Everybody Loves Raymond without crying from boredom, but I love Rush Hour. A whole industry was built on variations of humor.

Believe me when I say, roo, that nothing you can say to me (or have said to me) has been either offensive or discourteous. While I can see what offends others, I don't necessarily subscribe to the same beliefs on what is offensive and what is not. And while I might not hang out in the Sleeping Naked thread, it doesn't make me wash my eyes out in shame. :p

You think I do that to entertain others? [face_laugh] I'm doing that to save myself from mind-numbing boredom!

22. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I agree with basically everything Roo is saying.

This is the big brother forum - the inherent purpose is to bring strong personalities together in a confined space to post banter worth reading. Why complain and start putting new rules in place when what you planned actually occurs?

23. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    The problem is, that even knowing it's a joke I get offended. *shrug*

Basic theory of language: you say what you say and hear what you here. There's no imperative that the send and received messages resemble each other the least.:oops:

24. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    This is a great attitude to have, and I've seen in your posts that you're more laid back and can deal with different personalities and sensibilities than your own. But the fact remains that based on the posts I've seen, some of the rest of our peers don't seem to.

25. JediMasterAmanda

Sep 7, 2005
    I can deal with different personalities. In fact no one I know has the same personality as me or a different person I know. By people I know here I mean my friends. It is just certain things that I can't deal with like stereotyping or jokes about stereotyping or talk about sex. The majority of my friends never joke about these things or talk about these things. Some of the ones from school will talk about some things about the last thing I listed as an example, but they never do so around me because they know I don't like it.

Case in point, it's ok around friends and people you know won't be offended. But if you know it offends someone, why talk that way around them? Because that is a good way of either making enemies or losing friends or both.

I do respect that you have a different humor, I'm just requesting that you don't use it so often around me, because even though I know it's a joke, it's still offending.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.