main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official Autograph Cost Complaint Thread**

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by Lost in Coruscant, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking the prices for autographs are outrageous. I'm wondering what other "extras" they're going to surprise us with between now and early May.

No, we're not having guns put to our heads to buy $360 worth of autograph vouchers. I have a lot of the attendees' autographs already, thanks to a few local appearances and a friend in England who has helped set up small SW weekend shows there. But I know many of the fans attending Celebration II have never had the opportunity to meet a SW celebrity much less get his/her autograph and probably won't get that opportunity again. Many fans attending also have limited budgets. Shelling out for travel, food, and hotel for three days on top of admission is a big sacrifice for them. Heck, it's a sacrifice for me! But you know who can afford autographs at $15 a pop? The autograph dealers. They'll be the ones in lines all weekend while the regular fan has to decide which one or two s/he wants and hopes that s/he actually gets them. I certainly won't get buy more than a couple and I'll only get those at the top of the marquee.

I'm not complaining about the Celebration itself. I really am looking forward to it. But a weekend in Indianapolis shouldn't cost the same as a week in Paris. You can bet I will be writing somebody.

2. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    Its not that big of a deal. I'm an autograph junky and will probably only get 3-4 auto's. I'm willing to blow $50. Plus I'm going to limit it anywho because I dont want to stand in an autograph line the whole time.

3. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    Plus what I think they should have done that would have been cool, was if you bought a 3 day pass, you get the exclusive fig free and one auto free. That would have been better for them because ppl would have bought more 3 day pass's for the incentive.

4. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    Ever gone to Disneyland or Disneyworld? You want to complain about prices. It costs a small fortune just for hubby and I to go for 1 day, couldn't imagine if we had kids to take also. So if you want to compare, I think Celebration is a bargain!

5. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    I don't have an issue with the prices, but one thing that I have seen is that WotC has kind of surprised fans with allot of stuff.

Fan tables, for example, can't have any copywritten images of any kind, and that's understandable. But it would have been nice to know this in advance rather than having to come up with allot of new artwork, banners, promotional material, etc. at the last minute.

I imagine that many who are griping about the prices would have been able to save up had they known about these little extras several months earlier. But with less than two months to go that will be hard.

There will likely be plenty of problems and angry fans when it comes time to bring their prop weapons into the con. Several people, including myself, have e-mailed the program manager Rob Bane and gotten conflicting or ambigious answers as to what will be allowed. I was told there would be a FAQ update in the next couple of weeks (Jan 29th) and there is still nothing.

I've e-mailed Rob Bane on the issue of weapons and the surprises that have irritated some fans. I suggest you do the same. Complaining about it on the forum accomplishes nothing.

6. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    I just gotta say that first off, I'm not a teenager. I work 40-50 hour weeks (sometimes more) for a major Fortune 500 company (which you probably have many of their brands in your home). I travel extensively for work around the country. I make a decent living I think. I'm married. I'm 27. I even own my house. I worked hard for these things. My hobby and interest to get away from it all is Star Wars and Science Fiction. Several months back when Celebration II was announced, I was ecstatic. I couldn't wait. Finally, a nice breather. A little trip out of town that wasn't to see family or for business. And I assumed (never assume) that this con was going to be similiar to other cons I went to. Everything Wizard's annouced (cryptic as it was albeit) sounded fantastic. The price of $75 was high, but I thought it sounded WELL worth it. I bought my ticket, a fan club membership (to get those EXTRA perks) and got my hotel reservation made. So, here I am...I have yet to get my first mailed copy of the Insider (I've spoken to WotC Customer Service and Distribution 4 times now with tons of promises), I can't get my Fan Club lanyard until the show because they "sold out of them", I gotta pay to go to a concert (which is not even being put on by Wizard's), a special Art of the Starfighter exhibit (again, separate fee not being put on by Wizard's) and now I gotta pay $15 to get autographs from 2nd string actors and stand-ins??? I wouldn't say the fans are "whores" (bad choice of words and they weren't mine), I think it is the other way around. We, the fans are paying for "pleasure" and honestly, I've had better.
    But now, I'm committed. I can either lose my money on hotel deposits and ticket (all non-refundable) or go and enjoy what there is. I was under the impression these boards are here to voice our opinions, thoughts and concerns, likes and dislikes. Not to be insulted and attacked because we view differently on a subject. On a final note to this rant, I have talked to and emailed Wizard's about my concerns and I either speak to someone who can't help me or my emails aren't returned. So if I post to this thread to vent, tough. You don't like what I have to say, go to the thread where everyone is jumping up and down to have their pockets fleeced.

7. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    You know what. I apologize. Not for my views but in the method in which I delivered them. I was angry from issues unrelated to this subject and I took out on others. I should have exercised some emotional restraint when making my initial post.

8. MaximusVader

MaximusVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    As was put to me in a recent email from one of my former Fan Force comrads, we are all going to have to just agree to disagree.

I myself am 27, not hurting in the money department, and am in the same boat as far as costs in regard to this Celebration that are non-refundable. Emailing and contacting Wizards has been a lost cause. (And we thought that dealing with the OLD fan club was hard. Anyone else out there getting tired of talking to "Luke" and getting no answers, but only more questions from his cryptic rebuttles?)

But we all have to understand that, as was stated by my fellow 27-year-old-Star-Wars-fan above, these boards are for the venting of differing opinions. And we all have to agree to disagree with eachother. Getting personal and calling someone a child just beause they are miffed off at George or his underlings is out of line. Apology accepted...now let's all join hands, sway to the sound of the music and sing out, "Celebrate The Love"!

May the Force be with us.

9. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Why boycott Celebration 2 when I already have the passes and can't get a refund? Hmmm.... this a ploy to get more autographs?

I would imagine that you could sell those passes to folks who have not purchased their's yet. Just a thought. But I don't think you really want to do that.

I just want to say that, as an economics major, that, unfortunate as it is in many respects, money is what makes the world go 'round. If there weren't money (yes, and lots of it) to be made, this event would likely not be taking place at all. I have a lot of dislike for the way our economy functions, but the best thing for me to do is to accept reality, make my decisions based on that reality, and then be content or even happy with those decisions. I understand all the complaints, and it is very hard when something you want is out of your reach, or the decision to obtain will carry a high consequence. But these are decisions we make all the time in all the areas of our lives. Why expect Star Wars to be any different? (I'm already regretting that question.)

Just as a note of happiness, I have heard some things about this con, and I can say that at least as far as the price of the basic tickets and what you get for it - especially in comparison with other sci-fi cons - you will NOT BE SORRY.

As far as the extras, like the autographs....
    For me, this is just an opportunity to demonstrate my values. Probably I value the financial well-being of my family more than I value adding another 'item' to my collection of stuff. At least the kind of stuff that isn't very essential to daily life, as opposed to important things like a refrigerator and an oil change for my car.

I wish I could have it all, but until my lottery numbers come in, it's just not going to happen. I'm okay with it.

If I could buy autographs for the rest of you, and forego them for myself, I would do so, just to spread the love!

10. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Thank you jedigal. That was definitely a more intelligent and mature argument so far in defense of the fees being charged for the con.

I just want to say that while I don't personally agree with the hidden fees coming out after the fact, I'm still going to Indy and I am going to have a positive attitude about it. I figure if I can vent now, it will save me frustration at the show. Will I buy autographs? Perhaps. It depends on who it is and how long the line is. I'm not a big collector of sigs anymore, but I know there are fans out there who just want the chance to go up and meet their favorite star without dishing more than they have to.

And, I want to add that I spoke with a good friend who also helped put it a little more into perspective...these stars charge for their autographs at shows like these because of scalpers. Meaning, people who get a free autograph and then sell them for hundreds of dollars on e-bay. The star doesn't see a penny of it and the fans get screwed as well. So that being said, I have a better appreciation for it. And I guarantee many a photo signed will turn up on e-bay for those folks who couldn't make it to Indy.

It isn't bugging me as much now, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. It's just a sad state of economics really.

11. Theatrix

Theatrix Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2001
    I have been going to cons since 1973 (when I was 11 years old). Con prices have gone up from under $20 to over $100.00 (WorldCons) for addmission. Autographs that used to be free (well you "paid" by investing your time by waiting) now cost money upfront (normally around $20.00 a pop). I don't remember the last time I saw a "free autograph line" as it has been so long. When they did exist, they were HUGE, and you could spend hours waiting to get one (if you could at all).

While I don't have a Crystal Ball to see what the operating costs for this convention (SWC2) are, events cost money to run - staff costs (professional security, etc), guest fees/perhaps guest lodging/transportation, equipment rentals (projectors, staging, lighting, sound, commo gear), INSURANCE, yada, yada, yada. Please note that this is from personal experience in helping to organinze and run a number of events (SF, SCA, Youth Groups, etc) over the past 20 years.

Is SWC2 fairly expensive at $75, maybe, but here are some membership fees from other conventions for comparison:
    Gate Con (a SG-1 Con) 2001 Prices:
    $195 - VIP
    $150 - Super Quad (4 days, maybe autographs/pics)
    $50 - (cost per Day Pass) no autographs/pics
    Loscon 28 (a LA area small con)
    $45 3 days no autographs included
    Worldcon 2002 (The World SF Convention - Mondo Huge)
    $180 - no autographs included
    Dragon Con 2002
    $50 - Until a date in May
    $60 - Until date in (I believe) July
    $75 - at the Door
    Autographs cost $20.00 a pop (based on my experiences last year)
    MediaWest Con (a 500 member Media Convention)
    $50 - Normally not autographs as big name stars are normally not in attendance.
    Star Trek Grand Slam 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Preffered Seating $57/day ($114 for 2 days)
    General Admisssion $32/day ($64 for 2 days)

Special Events (there are two)
    $41 preffered seating (per event, $82 total)
    $26 general seating (per event, $52 total)

and Drum Roll please the costs for autographs range from
    $20 - $60 (Bill Shatner) each (ouch!!!)

**** End of Prices ****

So, is $75 a head steep, perhaps? Is it worth it, only you can decide. However, with the autograph package being sold (I believe $120 for 10), it breaks down to $12 a pop. No too bad when compared to other cons I have attended.

Please note that the SW related the Art of the Starfighter is not associated with SWC2. It is being hosted at a museum external to the con and will be there both before and after SWC2 has come and gone. Also, the concert is being produced/sponsored by a local orchestra, not SWC2. The local group is doing it to help raise funds for them, not SWC2 (i.e. it goes to the symphonies coffers, not SWC2).

Remember folks Fandom/Cons are all "make believe/play time", it is not real life. No one has to go to conventions, no one is forced to go to conventions. No one is forced to go to SWC2, you can meet most of the same folks (i.e. guests) at other conventions (i.e. DragonCon). Am I going, yes (my wife and I are), will I buy autographs, probably, but that is my choice, no one forced me to do it.

Anyway, while it is the right of folks to carp, whine, and bitch, my respect goes to those who work, organize and solve problems in the world (not just gripe about them).

Theatrix
    Older SF Fan

12. DarkJediPrincess

DarkJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2002
    Most Conventions I go to, with the exception of GenCon (a gaming Con, so you pay to play), once you pay to get into the door, there is usually many things to see and do that do not cost any extra.

And I NEVER expected free autographs, I've never been to a Con that had that. But I DO expect something for my money. I wouldn't go to Disneyworld if I had to pay for each ride and show, after paying an entrance fee.

Thus far, I have seen a lot of events that you have to pay for, where is the list of events you do not have pay for?

Another Poster said our tickets were paying for:

What is your $75 paying for?
    Gee, how about
    -Dealers (well you do have to pay for the merchandise) - <I don't collect anymore, a few T-shirts or a button and I'll be a happy girl. >
    -Costume contest - <Aren't our fellow FANS really providing that? And there will be limited seating to this event, I'm sure. >
    -Fan tables - <The FANS are again providing that. >
    -LFL Archive displays - <Okay points for this one, but I'm willing to bet it won't compare the traveling show from the Smithsonian. >
    -Fan Film contest - <Limited seating, I bet we won't all get to see this either, and again I see that word FAN. >
    -SW Art Galleries - <Points again, but didn't someone say they were charging extra for this? >
    -Seminars on SW Collecting - <Okay, snore, this doesn't mean a thing to me or over half the fans in attendance I would wager. >
    -You can get your stuff appraised - <Ditto, but I do admit I have a few items from my childhood. However, I am NOT going to take them on a plane and risk damage or theft. >
    -Auctions - <Where did the items come from? FANS perhaps? >
    -Exclusive SWC2 merchandise - <Nice, for the collectors...again we're not all collectors. Thus far I've only heard of an action figure. >

I want to hear about actors and tech panels, tell me these people are going to talk to us and not just try to sell us their autographs???

I want to hear about schedules and guests appearing. I'm miffed I have to come here to find out information about the Con. The WoC website is woefully inadequate for this big of an event.

Here's hoping my fears will be for naught, that I will be entertained beyond my wildest SW dreams. I just think it's unfair of an entity charging $75 a head to rely on us to entertain each other.

DarkJediPrincess

13. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    You know, were it not for WotC and the whole bunch of them deeming that everything going on at SWC2 was "for the fans" as some sort of thank you, I'd probably be a lot less irritated at the prices. You are "thanking me" by offering me a special action figure for $20? You are "thanking me" by letting me meet my favorite Star Wars characters at $12 a pop? Well I want to thank them for perpetuating the one and only thing about the Star Wars universe that has ever bugged me - the money-grubbing attitude. I can get over Ewoks, Jar Jar, and Luke's whining. But when someone tells me that for $12 I can get an autograph of Mara Jade (let us not forget, she is not even in a movie), I just can't believe it.

As others have mentioned, I'm OK financially and I'm just gonna have to make some choices once I get there, but it seems rather sad to me - and I can't totally blame those putting on the convention.

What about the guys signing the autographs? I'm not gonna lie to you. If I could make my living signing stuff, gimme a pen and let's hit the road. But for one weekend - for the fans who truly have made most of these guys celebrities - for the Celebration - for the Anniversary - to truly show the fans they are more than another bill in the wallet - why can't they waive their fees? Let WotC pay their expenses for the trip - but waive the fees for the fans. Perhaps I'm one of those rose-colored glasses wearing guys who just thinks the best of people to a fault sometimes. I'll be there - I'll have my wallet - and I'll shell out like the others.

As for the Fan Club perks - if there are 30,000 people there, I'm guessing 2/3 (if not more) will be members. Ironic that fan club members will get into some areas earlier than others, but that Star Wars store will be open to everyone. Would hate to exclude anyone from buying anything.

14. skywalker8

skywalker8 Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 1998
    I wish the autographs were a lot more than 12 bucks. I wish I had to pay $40 per autograph.
    That way I don't have to stand in line for hours to get autographs from the real people (Billy Dee Williams, people from Ep.2). I literally wouldn't pay a dime for Mara Jade's signature.

15. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    I'm with ya on that one. Then you would only get those you really want and lines would be a lot shorter.

Don't ya think fan club members should get a break on the autographs?

16. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    OK..I have read this thread and want to add my 2 cents based on my experiences and opinions.

I am a con attendee for over a decade and can attest that Celebration is fairly priced at 75.00 for three days. The charge at the door not only covers any events that take place but also space rental and event insurance. Event insurance for something like this can be astanomical and you cannot rent a place to hold a con without it. I would bet that's where a good portion of the $75.00 is going.

12 or 15 per autograph is very reasonable. Most cons here have the celebs charge 20 a piece. Why? because the celebs must BUY the photos..many times from the company that owns the rights to the production still. Even if they have pics of themselves done out of character it still costs money to have professional shots done. Also many times, the actor only keeps a portion of what he or she takes in for autographs. The celeb must pay the agent and often the con producers. Many times, the celeb must also feed themself and the assistant if they have one. Many of these actors make a good portion of the money they live on off of these cons. It's their job, and we as fans have to understand that. I don;t go to work 5 days a week for my boss for free, and nor do I expect these celebs to do anything for free. It's one thing if you are making 25 million per movie like Tom Cruise...his publicist carries pics for free that he will sign and distribute. After meeting and talking privately to several celebs form many genres I can tell you that actors from England (which is where many of the SW character actors are from) do not make anywhere near what American actors do. In fact, some make less than most part time employees at a supermarket per year. They truly act for love of the job. Also, Just like everything else in life, we know what our budget is and we must buy accordingly. I would love to get every autograph of every sceleb I meet, but I simply can't afford that so I only get the ones I really want.

Finally, at the table at a con business is business. But I have seen many celebs sign autographs for free for children away from the table. Just to let you know, many con promoters do not allow a celeb to sign for free anywhere on con premises. Don't forget, the con producers are getting a cut and they have paid to bring this celeb there and put them up in a hotel. In life, there are rarely freebies... :)

17. JMChladek

JMChladek Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    Lady Sith summed this up much better then I could. Part of the reason I like getting autographs is that I know it can also help to support my favorite actor. I mean these guys have come for us, even if they are charging.

There is one other advantage for having to pay for autographs. If somebody did sign free autographs, like say David Prowse, then you would have a very long line stretching across the block multiple times and chances are not everyone that wants one will get one, but there are a few that probably will not because they want it, but because it is free. That type of thing can get pretty miserable pretty quick. So the autograph payment can add a little check and balance to the mix. Now granted some lines will be long, no matter what, but not potentially as long as it would be with freebees.

BTW, at Alphacon last year, the autograph prices were if I recall (with the exception of Mr. Daniels pricing), $15.00 for a personal item or b/w photo, $20.00 for a color photo and free or $5.00 depending on the guest for an autograph in the Alphacon program book. It sounds like here that the price for autographs will be $15 across the board, so in most cases its comparable and possibly a little less expensive for color photos. Now the group pack at $12 each seems like a real bargain to me.

18. klatu1138

klatu1138 Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    Lost in Coruscant,
    Have you or any of the people posting here ever been to a Star Trek convention? They charge $150.00 dollars a day depending on the guest line up and the top actors get $50.00 dollars for each autograph and the time they will sign is limited so you may pay and not get anything. We are very lucky and the cost is at a minimum for all of us i know i have been attending Conventions for over 20 years and am looking foreword to this one especially so just relax and have fun and go with the flow.
    Klatu1138

19. FiorCara

FiorCara Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2001
    I heard about the Celebration but couldn't go. (Denver one I mean.) I was so p*ssed. Actually I was more p*ssed at not knowing about DragonCon when everyone was there in 99. *sigh* At any rate, I swore I'd get to Cel II if they did one.

Yeah, I'm a student with real iffy income. (Right now it's none.) *sigh* This stuff is expensive. The 75 admission price isn't TOO bad, though it'd be nice if they'd given a discount if you ordered real early. As for security, I thought the 501st was doing all of that? Anywho.

So there's admission, hotel price, and getting myself to Indianapolis price. Oh yeah, and eating price, I forgot about that. (oops. gotta relook at my budget.)

I expect to have to pay for a signed picture. After all, these guys DO have to buy them! Besides, some of these folks still actively do work in the industry and are takin time out to come see us. Others don't, but still take the time out. Either way, it's supplemental income.

But how do autographs work on something I own? I have a copy of the book from the charity screening of Episode I and I'm trying to get it signed by tons of Star Wars actors. Dave Prowse actually charged me full on this, but he looked like he wasn't feeling well at all so I didn't comment. However, Jeremy Bulloch signed it for free for me at his panal, and Shannon Baska (Mara) signed it for me when I bought an oversized card w/ her sig for a friend.

So do I have to turn over one of these blasted coupons for someone to sign my book? Or might they sign it if I buy something, or what? Cause if I have to pay full price to get a signature on somethin I already own... that's kind of a rip off, no?

I'd like to take this moment to smack sharkers or whatever they're called, the folks that get signed stuff just to sell. You're screwin us fans. *sigh*

20. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Yes, everything is going to be expensive. That shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

As for autograph prices, the norm at other cons seems to be around $15, so this doesn't seem like a bad deal, especially since you will have big-name actors next to those who appear for five seconds.

Also, when thinking about other cons, this one should be extra special. It will focus on Star Wars, and nothing else. I've been to other cons that have had Star Trek, Anime, comic books, and tons of other stuff. This one will simply be Star Wars.

This should be about the experience. I'm from Michigan. There was no way I could have went to the first celebration in Denver. This time, the celebration is a little closer to home for me. Due to the most unusual circumstances, I'll be able to attend this convention. I have seen a little bit of footage from the first celebration in various documentaries, and it looks like everyone had a blast, even though it rained the entire time. How many other times can you be surrounded by Star Wars fans? When else could you have civil discussions about Aurra Sing, or about Greedo shooting first? Sure, there will be some spouses or parents dragged along, but at least they realize how important this is to their children or spouse.

I have a feeling that many of you who are complaining about the high prices are staying at the hotels right next door, that run for well over $100. I found the Days Inn that was under 15 minutes away and was able to get a room for under $50 per night. Sure, it won't be as luxurious, but I plan on spending a lot of time at the convention, not in the hotel room.

21. JMChladek

JMChladek Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    Well, the question of if an actor will sign a personal item will probably depend on his mood and personality. The big thing that has been stated before is that one thing that potentially influenced the charge for autographs movement is that many times, signed items can wind up on sale and the owner can potentially make a killing for his autographed item.

I would say that more then anything, expect to pay for your autographs no matter who it is and if they sign for free, then its icing on the cake. But, the problem with that is if somebody else sees you getting something signed for free, then he'll potentially want a perk also and the result can be a snowball effect.

I would say to be courteous, be polite and don't demand anything. If you are a nice guy, nice things can happen to you.

As for the question of security, the 501st will probably be there for the visual presence and to help out as a show of force capacity (and ask questions). But, typically at a show this big, there will probably be some security in the form of off duty police officers and/or paid security forces (especially with the proximity to the mall and the expected crowds). You probably won't see them, but they'll be there and if not seen, then they will at least be manning security cameras. I helped do security with a Colonial Marines group in a capacity similar to the 501st at a few of the KC comiccon shows about 5 years ago. We were the presence that people could see. But the police were the ones there to act if something went wrong as they had the legal backing to lay a hand on somebody or arrest them for shoplifting. Those officers do need to be paid for their work, even if they are just there because they are also Star Wars fans.

That doesn't mean that the 501st isn't effective though. I remember a story from Dragoncon where a con goer got several autographs from Richard L. (General Motti) and walked away without paying. A member of the 501st spotted this and several Stormtroopers marched the guy back to Richard's table to have him pay for the stuff. I bet it was a sight to see as a Stormtrooper does produce a certain intimidation quality by itself.

22. Theatrix

Theatrix Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2001
    FYI-

Here is the skinny re: the 501st at SWC2. We are working for WOTC doing "Badge Check" security at SWC2. WOTC also has a paid private security company for "Heavy Duty Security". As I tell my staff, we are "Boyscouts in Armor", helpful and friendly, but we call "the cops" if anybody breaks the rules, needs medical aid, crashes a door without a badge.

We will also have staff at the doors we are posted at to answer questions/give directions. So you will see a number of us posted outside of the various function rooms in full armor in rotating shifts during the con. To date, we have over 100 members working in full costume (most as Stormtroopers).

If you have one of the following "Canon" Imperial costumes:

Stormtrooper (clean white)

Sandtrooper (dirty w/ backpack and pauldron)

Imperial Officer (both Black and Greenish Gray)

Death Star Troopers

Imperial Guard

Biker Scouts

Join us and you too can be part of SW History. Please note that you will have to be a 501st member to work as part of our volunteer work force. WOTC has other volunteer opportunities, but as far as I know we are the only ones authorized to do it in costume (they want an Imperial Garrison Look/Feel).

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Tim
    TK-1066
    501st Legion Executive Officer
    501st SWC2 Volunteer Coordinator

23. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    Well i just hope we arnt being taken for a loop on this. What was fun about the last celebration was the tixs were cheap. $75 is a lot of money. It better be so much more grander than the last one and to me that was fun. yes wet, but fun.

24. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    If you repeat this to anyone I will deny it, but I have been to a few trek conventions, and this price is identical.

Some REAL worries: Having fans, like the 501st, run security has opened up cans of worms in the past. THis being due to them not knowing answers to questions, not knowing the layout, not having the nerve to enforce the rules, and worse, letting friends cut in line. Remember how godawful Cele 1 security was?

Now on another note, I can avoid all autograph woes for I have no use for them. I do remember my last free autograph and it was in 1994. I got it and said "Well now what?" Well now it collects dust. I am in this for the personal creativity of the costume contest, to test myself and to cheer others on. ACTIVE Fandom.

But I wont interfere with the autograph hounds, not the SW ones anyway. But I like tomake fun of the trek ones.

25. TurtleK421

TurtleK421 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2002
    Just because a celebrity is going to make an appearance at C2 doesn't mean that they'll be doing autographs. Most likely Hayden Christensen, Anthony Daniels and Billy Dee Williams won't be part of the autograph party in Indy. I may be wrong here, but the lines for these three would be enormous all three days and I'm sure that Mr. Williams is going to be promoting his artwork at the show and Mr. Daniels is supposed to be the Master of Ceremonies which will keep him far too busy to sign. Any other big names that may be announced before the show probably won't be part of the autograph deal, either.

As for the convention cost, this isn't your annual, local sci-fi con that's being planned. This is only the third time that Lucas has okayed an official Star Wars convention. Sure Star Wars is always represented at most cons, but this one *IS* Star Wars. I've been to a few G.I. Joe conventions and those prices went from $150 to $270 for a two-day event that was mostly dealer tables in a dinky room and a dinner with the Hasbro team (but, man, I learned some cool stuff about how toys come about from those guys!) and (usually) an exclusive action figure (always 12" and I was a 3 3/4" collector!) but I had a great time because I was surrounded by fans who loved the stuff the way I do.

As for the autograph prices, I remember paying $5 each for Jeremy Bullock, John Hollis, Peter Meyhew and Kenny Baker to sign my CCG cards and Dave Prowse charging $10 (signing "Dave Prowse is Darth Vader" -- creepy...) at a small-time con in Cincinnati a few years back. This doesn't sound like such a bad deal for a sig *AND* a photo to me. Granted, I won't be able to get everyone's autograph, but I'll be getting at least a book's worth.

I know that there's a ton of stuff up there that I'm going to want and won't be able to afford but I'm going to have to live with that and only go for my top priority stuff with the action figure being number one on my list. I do, however, think that it would be great if Wizards would post a list of the exclusive merchandise and prices ahead of time so that we can walk into the store prepared for what's there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.