main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official BB Commstroversy Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother 3: The Mods Strike Back' started by Darth_AYBABTU, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Wow, maybe they actually are reading this crap.

EDIT: Heaven forbid some other mod have to be online while you're in a meeting, Kate.

I still think "adequate coverage" does not mean what you guys think it means.

2. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I'm also a little distressed that the mods are apparently applying a double standard in here. Why are the rules here any different than anywhere else? I, for one, was never told that this would be an "anything goes" forum. Boba_Fett_2001 is right on the money when he says that doesn't make sense.

The silly mods ban people because of a frank exchange of ideas via PM or unban request, but we're allowed to flame in here just so people will watch? Why don't you open up the ModSquad if you want the JC to pay attention to something? (Only applies to the dozen or so people who don't normally read the MS anyway.)

This is a double standard and I oppose it. Of course there will be a bit more conflict in here, simply because of the higher concentration of people at each other's throats. (That is, no "can't we all just get along" freaks getting in the way.) But you mods make a huge mistake by giving the impression that the rules are less strict in here than the JCC.

But at least a few of us in here are finally on the positive end of a double standard. So this is how the other half lives.

AYBABTU

3. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    I like the double standard , flaming can be fun, if you know how to take it.

4. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    In response to this comms discussion: http://boards.theforce.net/Communications/b10006/16890685/?25

I would like to remind everyone of Smuggler's post from here: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16671709&start=16688117&search=%22add+a+border%22

You make it sound like we put no effort in this whatsoever. Yeah, sure, we take already made pics, minimize them and add the border. But what more do you want? If you want to see some art, go to my art blog in my sig, otherwise i suggest you start criticizing something worth criticizing. We don't have to spend 30 minutes a day making icons for the community when people like you step out and say you don't give a crap about us. You don't have to like us individually, but give us some *** **** respect.

5. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    I doubt he is reading the BB house, but I'd like to send the following message to ObiWan506

Fool, please. You aren't tricking anyone with your "I'm so aloof I totally don't care either way ......but :_| PLZ DON'T TAKE IT AWAY." Also, I doubt every single icon maker on the JC has given you permission to speak for them, so don't go around putting words in their mouths, maybe some of them do it for the title.

kthx

6. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

I think all the icon artists do great work and they really deserve their titles.

//plays to icon-making crowd

AYBABTU

7. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "It is sad to think that the Icon and Banner Makers will be the ones who will be used in making a point to every other users."

What a crock.

Banner and icon makers should never have gotten special icons, titles or colours in the first place. That's MS' folly. If they hadn't awarded this rubbish, the artists wouldn't have come to expect it. If they hadn't come to expect it, we wouldn't have this situation with disgruntled users feeling used for their "talents".

In conclusion: a little foresight goes a long way.
    But generally, the mods at this site lack any vague semblence of foresight so here we are.

Also: cheers to Dehrian for being the best 3SA mod in a long time.
    Fingers crossed that he'll take up mf.com's offer :)

8. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I agree with the DA on this issue.

I wish I could post in the thread, although I'm usually not very involved in Comms. I had to type out a PM to one of the posters in the thread just to get some of my opinions on the issue.

9. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    I think titles should be handed out freely...the idiocy is that anyone puts any value or importance in them at all.

10. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    I am very upset I can't post in comms :(

I like how the banner makers have eternal VIP status.

11. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Comms...

*yawn*

12. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Have any of you people been keeping up with this title fiasco in Comms? It's hilarious! Some people are acting like they're being forced to give up a kidney.

AYBABTU

13. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    Hey, titles are very important. Without them no one will recognize all the hard work these people do resizing pictures and adding a border.

14. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    ObiWan506:
    Well I agree we don't do it for the Title so I don't mind.

But if your going to enforce a "No Title Policy" on everyone except MODS, be sure to enforce it like you say you will.

For someone who doesn't care what happens either way with this, you sure have been a posting machine on this subject.

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo: Let those who have them, keep theirs until their time runs out or they step down from the position that gives it to them.

Way to save yourself while selling out the 50x50 fingerpainters.

Can we also make sure nashira gets her title removed, since we're getting rid of undeserved/useless titles?

15. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Hey, titles are very important. Without them no one will recognize all the hard work these people do resizing pictures and adding a border.

There's actually a hell of a lot to work that goes into being an avatar maker. I don't think they deserve titles, don't get me wrong, but they do put a lot (trust me, it's hard) of work into making the JC nicer.

16. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    I would respectfully disagree with the amount of work it takes to make an icon. Especially with the quality of icons submitted recently.

17. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    There's actually a hell of a lot to work that goes into being an avatar maker.

Good theory! Let's test it out.

Today I'll be making an icon of Jonathan Rhys Meyers [face_love]

The time is 12:21 PM. To find a picture!

The time is 12:22 PM. I typed "Jonathan Rhys Meyers bend it like beckham" into Google Image search and found a picture I liked. Now to make it an icon!

The time is 12:25 PM. I copied the image and pasted into PSP, then I cropped it and sized it down to 50x50 pixels, and saved it. Now to upload!

The time is 12:26 PM. I uploaded the picture to my sister's Photobucket account (she gave me the password because I had to keep asking her to do stuff for me)

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/mangojellytoast/CarmenBB/jrmicon.jpg]

Five minutes for one icon. Yes, very hard.

18. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Some one give that woman a title!!!

19. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Maybe it should depend on the quality of banners.

The banner you just made is crap.

20. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    Funny, because I didn't make a banner. I made an icon.

In my opinion:

People shouldn't have titles without being VIPs.

People shouldn't be VIPs without having titles explaining why they're VIPS

Making icons isn't enough to be a VIP, so they shouldn't have titles.

If there's a banner contest then that person should be a SHORT term VIP, and thus have a title.

If there is any other contest/game with VIPness as a prize then it should definately be a SHORT TERM VIP, and they should get a title.

Ideally, Fan Force and the JC would have the same rules, since people who post in one often wander over to the other section, so consistancy is a good thing.

21. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    Can someone explain to me what the hell the EUS chancellor is? In 100 words or less, please. I'm not in the mood for a long read.

22. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    A super-mega lover of very bad science fiction.

23. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    As the host of the Lit Trivia I don't mind being given a title however,

EUS Chancellor should not have a title or VIP status.

Icon makers should not have VIP status.

Hosts of Trivia games should not have VIP status.

Banner makers should not be given VIP status, the reward should be that their art is there for all to see.

Who should have VIP status?
    -Former Admins and mods.
    -Winners of games.
    -famous people (actors, authors etc.)

That is about it.
    In my opinion anyway.
    I don't mind people having titles. However people who makes icons and banners should not be given titles or VIP status. Their reward is that their art is around for everyone to see.

-Seldon

24. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Who should have VIP status?
    -Former Admins and mods.
    -Winners of games.
    -famous people (actors, authors etc.)

You didn't put game host on there.

Also, almost everyone with titles thinks they earn them and deserve to keep them while others aren't quite as worthy.

25. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    You're making baby black jebus cry. We care not for seriousness, Seldon. [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.