main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    1. Exactly. There's a new generation of Jedi Knights. It was a perfect opportunity for Luke and co. to fade into the background, leaving The New Heroes™ to handle threats...
    1.A. ...that didnt need to be GALAXY SPANNING!!11!11!!!one!!1!1! in scale. Some of the best EU material was regional in scope.
    2. Luke Skywalker: freakishly strong in the Force, phenomenal piloting skills, had a brush with the dark side. Kyp Durron: freakishly strong in the Force, phenomenal piloting skills, had a brush with the dark side.
    3. The conclusion of the YJK series was another missed opportunity for the Big Three to step back and be mentors. Instead, we've gotten R.E.D...In Space!

kubricklynch and The Hellhammer like this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I still like Kyp (as much as I read about him in NJO at least). He is a very different Jedi than Luke.

3. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I always thought when i first heard of Kyp that maybe he would be the one Jedi to be Luke's Protege besides his own Son.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    hey here's a question do you guys think in the Sequel Trilogy Luke will still wear that black glove he had on his artificial hand in "Jedi" or do you think he got it repaired?

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Eh, maybe. The movie probably won't go in depth into "Why Luke Skywalker Always Wears That One Glove" but I can see that being a character / costume detail. I'm sure some EU novel will fill in the "why does Luke wear the glove" gap.

mes520 likes this.
  6. force_zealot86

force_zealot86 Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2013
    After going through 300 plus pages of this topic, I finally decided to put my two cents in. I look forward to the habitual posters on this thread giving their incite on my opinions. First, I would like to point out that there is an abundance of information in this thread, proving the point that the EU has been a 'Big Deal' to alot of Star Wars fans, regardless of what generation they were exposed to the universe...I have been a fan since I was small child, my family bought into the OT and I grew up watching that, until the PT came out during my adolescence. Before that came out, the only source of Star Wars adventures was the EU and all that came with that. I played the games, read the comics and of course followed the timeline of the books as it was the continuation of the story I have enjoyed so much over the years.

I have taken what has been revealed about Episode VII, and compile my opinion of what to expect. Now they have already stated it will be an original story using no existing EU story line from the books. So this bring a questions - Why cant the ST work in conjunction to the post ROTJ EU? They stated it wants to bring back all that was good with the original trilogy, and that leads me to believe just that. When we first watched EP IV, we didn't know who any of the characters were as we do now, and I think Kennedy and Co. may do just that, bring in all new characters that coincide with the EU and how that played out. As far as the characters from the EU stories (Skywalker offspring/love interests/political factions), this would be more of a 'need to know' basis as far as story progression is concerned. It may contradict some of what has come before, but that has never been a problem before. Like Obi-Wan has said, "So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view." The stories that have been told over the years are just that, told from someone's point of view, certain things may or may not have played out exactly as it was told. I believe we get a new story in the same EU, bringing the whole 'Buck Rogers serials' concept back into play. Because when disney says they want a new SW film every year, thats what I think about.

My prediction for this story - when placed together with the first two trilogies, it will tell a story about the Trinity. PT was about the father (Anakin), OT was about the Son (Luke) and the ST will be about the holy ghost (Force ghost?) It will play along those lines, in my opinion. He always put a lot of religious and mythology based story structure into this, and I could see it all ending up like this.

Good points have been made about merchandising standpoint. i do believe I recently read something from a Disney exec, that stated that even when movies were not in production, Star Wars has always been profitable. Yes, the big draw is the toys, and always has been, that will never change. But the books/comics/games/etc. are just as much part of this as the toys. Maybe not from a percentage standpoint overall, but merchandising none the less. You have to trust the fact that GL left the brand in good hands, and made sure they didn't make a mockery of it in the process. Part of the sale was that they used his storylines, and he made that a big deal, because he didn't want it ending up any other way then the way he wanted. Sure someone else can put his vision on the screen or on the paper, but the general plan of action for this trilogy came from the creator, as it should be.

So as I quit rambling and end this horribly long post, I just want to say I am excited to see a new trilogy. I now have a family of my own, and being able to bring my kids up with a new star wars adventure in their childhood, like mine before theirs, is something I look forward to very much. (And so does disney!)

7. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  8. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    The "holy ghost" could mean the Force itself, or the Netherworld of the Force.

We know that the original concept behind the Sequel Trilogy would have been morality, distinguishing right from wrong and Jedi Knighthood.

Moreover, the Netherworld of the Force played a big part in the first Episode VI draft, and Revenge of the Sith briefly touched upon immortality, and George Lucas kept wanting to introduce the Whills in the Saga. Ideas never go away in George's head.

So I'm expecting these things in the sequels: moral questions, new Jedi Knights, immortality, the Netherworld and possibly the Whills.

9. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    i know alot of people may hate the idea of eu charachters in but what about eu weapons?

darksaber being one

[​IMG]

10. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Honestly I don't agree with that one. Such a lame idea. Too many variations on the lightsaber only devaluate it imo.
    It's already the coolest fictional weapon of them all. There isn't any room, nor any need for improvement.

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It was a cool gimmick, but has no place in the movies.

12. The Shrike

The Shrike Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Regarding the E.U, cannon, and these boards, what happens if any E.U characters are included in Episode VII?

I was trying to catch up to all the casting rumors, and I noticed a few supposed casting calls, the first with two 17 year twins, one boy, one girl, and the second with two females, late teens, a male, early 20's, and a second male, late 20's.

If one of those teenage girls turns out to be Jaina Solo, would that character only be allowed to be discussed in this thread, or the others as well.

I'm not too heavily invested in the E.U (stopped reading after what happened to Chewy), so I can live with it either way, but from what I've seen in other people's posts there's quite a large divide amongst the fans over the topic.

13. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Not much happens. EU characters have made small cameos before, but that's about it.
    The divide is eternal, and if they a) come out and say it's not canon, go home - people will still consider it canon.
    or b) film every single book word for word, scene for scene - people would still call it non-canon.

Canon is a silly concept and one that is mostly arbitrary, unless people like to rage about it in circles for 150 or so pages :p

14. Revanchist7

Revanchist7 Jedi Padawan

Jul 23, 2013
    Creating new continuity doesn't necessarily mean that the old continuity will be removed. The Clone Wars show created new continuity; the prequels created new continuity.

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I doubt it. He only wore it for two reasons: one in-universe, one out. In-universe, the explanation was that his hand was shot by one of Jabba's goons and he wore the glove to cover the hole shot in his hand. Logically, he could have had it repaired after the battle and never worn the glove again. Out of universe, he wore the glove to represent that he was balanced between dark and light, and his resemblance to his father–both had cybernetic right hands covered by black gloves. This is shown when he looks down at his hand after cutting Vader's off, and he realizes how much like his father he's become. In a way, that black glove saves him from going over to the dark side.

Logically, there's no reason for him to wear the glove post-ROTJ. I would like him to continue wearing his black ROTJ jumpsuit, though.

16. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    I believe I posted this 300+ pages ago but will reiterate, what about Kyle Katarn!? ;)

Seriously though the EU is adaptable, we can not see it as the beginning and end all. I am a huge supporter of the EU and I've had hours of enjoyed with the games, comics, books etc but the films should always be the foundations in which we build our fun galaxy of tales. That being said I believe pre-TPM/The old Republic era canon should be fine/unchanged. But we should accept a lot of the post ROTJ material will be turned into a AU. But there is no reason why you still can't enjoy those stories, it should be what you enjoy not what people tell you you need to enjoy etc

Now, let me get back to my KotOR II play through, I haven't played since 2004!

Vespasian likes this.
  17. KOBBRA

KOBBRA Jedi Master

Sep 15, 2013
    True i love X-Wing series!

JediGirl_Angelina and Vespasian like this.
  18. Psmoke

Psmoke Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2013
  19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    That should really go in our casting thread. :)

20. Psmoke

Psmoke Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2013
    Oops. Noted.

DarthBoba likes this.
  21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    No problem man.

22. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    There's this combo...

[​IMG]

DarthBoba likes this.
  23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Meh. I'd prefer the Jedi not go back to tan robes.

24. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Definetly.
    More variety this time around.

mes520 and Revanfan1 like this.
  25. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    i'm hoping they use clips again rather than the rings to hold their lightsabers.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.