main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Oh, pish-posh to that! Welcome to the boards, Air4 [face_coffee]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003

All the blogs use wiki entries to explain backstories on comic book characters ect. This is nothing unusual.

3. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    No, the best we could do is see those plot lines and characters continue. This might require a seperate continuity, but I'd find that acceptable at this point. That way the universe I love and have followd closely for 24 years still exists and it doesn't tread upon or box in the production of Episode 7.

ChildOfWinds and DarthBreezy like this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll be surprised if they continue what we have currently. I hope they do but won't be surprised if they don't. What they need to do is wrap-up the current plotpoints. As it stands Crucible is a terrible finale. The only way I be able to even somewhat move on to the ST with an open mind is if the current EU is wrapped up in a satisfactory manner. I will always be left wanting more. A tall order for a trilogy I know but as it stands the NJO is the proper continuation of the Saga regardless of what came after.

5. Air4swan

Air4swan Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2013
    Haha, I see my little jab at the original actors got noticed, x) all of whom I admire greatly. I was going to apologize for any (inevitable) repetition in my first post, but it would have made for an even more overly long post. Hopefully there are a few Avatar: The Last Airbender fans here, but that's where I got my idea for the extended gap between trilogies, since the follow up to that series, The Legend of Korra, takes place 70 years later. Like any speculation, it's a stretch, but I like hearing people offer solutions rather than "will they/won't they" back and forth. I just have a hard time believing they'd intentionally contradict a significant part of the mythology, but I'm happy to have the discussion.

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    At the probable risk of sounding arrogant, I think I personally could easily wrap up the current EU in a trilogy. It almost certainly wouldn't be very well-written - and not just because I don't write fanfiction - but merely resolving the outstanding plot points isn't that hard with Legacy out there.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think Ep. 7 will intentionally contradict the post ROTJ EU, I think it'll contradict it out of ignorance than willful malice on the part of the people making the flick. They're tasked with making a sequel to Return of the Jedi, not Crucible.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Honest question for you all - would you prefer the current EU to receive an 'infinities' label, and continue, or have it all wrapped up in one package?

Personally, I would opt for the former, quite simply because it seems to be such a vast, overreaching universe on its own that a 'tie up' would come across as rushed and sloppy.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ha ha lol. I'm sure you can. The problem would be is if we don't keep getting new plot points and don't stop old plot points and to actually move on to the next generation from the Big 3 generation. I think Stover should do it.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

I'd rather have an ending, or actually what I would really want would be to end it and somehow retcon / tie it in sideways to Ep. 7 (Universe big bang flash reboot or something). Continuing on is the same as ending it because you'd get conflicting Star Wars brands in novels. While you can pull of different Star Trek brands in the books, they're all spin-offs of TV series. Having a literary only universe seems like it would only appeal to a small segment and probably get crushed by "official" stuff anyway. I believe the name "Star Wars" on the covers sells more as opposed to "cohesive, single continuity". Frankly, I basically bounced from the post ROTJ EU over a decade ago anyway (they dropped a moon on Chewie and I walked) but I would totally read a final wrap-up story, and would even like even more a final, universe-altering end story. I really can't see it continuing on in it's current form as a side-story to Ep. 7 Certainly not on the shelves the same time Episode 7 is in theatres.. And endings would be great because how many multi-year multi-media franchises actually get endings?

11. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Books take a good while from concept to shelf so it won't be done before EVII comes out anyway and then confusion will ensue. "The ending? what ending?"

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Honestly, what I see happening is pretty much a random quote/webpost saying "We hope you enjoyed our ending to the ORIGINAL adventures of Luke Skywalker and company in CRUCIBLE (now available in paperback)! Please check out our Episode 7 merchandise!" Cut to Leeland Chee doing a rather long, convoluted blog-post about eventually promising to sort out the continuity. Maybe sometime a year or so after Episode 7 hits Blu Ray there might be a wrap up/retcon novel thingie to the original post ROTJ EU that somehow, magically, ties the whole thing into Ep. 7.

However, I do think there's a possibility there will be a wrap-up narrative, if only because if they can crank out Ep. 7 in 2 years yer sayin if publishing gets a heads-up they can't pull off a quickie?

This does, however, depend on if Del Rey keeps the contract or if Lucasfilm is just letting them peter out and then publishing under their own Disney-owned banner, which might lead to scenario 1. Which is what I think can also really happen.

13. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    I prefer character arcs and stories to be wrapped up and ended in a satisfactory manner, preferably in the style of a big universe changing crossover event(preferably in a comic/graphic novel format) where the whole thing ends with the final scene of the Endor party in ROTJ in a new timeline. Dark Horse Comics could do it if they wanted to, I mean they're practically as big as Marvel & DC who've done these types of things time and time again. No one wants another Firefly where the story abruptly ends with no good closure.

As for the possibility of continuing under the "Infinities" label, as it was pointed out earlier, these stories were marketed as actual canon from the get-go, it wouldn't feel right for many fans to suddenly demote canon which would suddenly get the short end of the stick while the new canon would probably start getting better treatment from better writers etc.

14. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Maybe you could end EU1 by having Luke wake up and turn to R2D2 and say "I've had the most confusing dream...so much crazy stuff... I mean Chewie got squashed by a MOON! "

The End.

:)

15. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm unsure. The Expanded Universe stuff focusing on Luke, Leia and Han (latest entry: Crucible) has been downright bad of late. However, I have an interest in seeing many of the comics continuing in Infinites form, for example: Dark Times, Legacy and others.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Last page: Pan out... further out... even further out... all of these stories were outlandish tales being told to the Ewoks by C3PO during the celebration on Endor.

17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I honestly wouldn't mind if the EU was considered an AU and that's kinda how I've been thinking about it since E7 was announced. That hasn't stopped me from reading them or enjoying the ones that I enjoy... I'm not so stuck on 'canon' that I feel like everything has to be canon. That being said, if they do use some things from the EU (and as I've said many times, I hope they do use something) while I understand some things may need to change, I'd like for it to at least be in the spirit of whatever that is, be it character, species, planet, etc.

18. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I don't think an infinities label wouldn't help much as it has been defined by LFL, but to see it continue with its own existing continuity, that would be good.

Del Rey, Dark Horse and LFL don't have a good history with this sort of thing. See Crimson Empire, Republic Commando, Legacy, more.

19. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Crimson Empire was a real disappointment for me. I really wanted to like that comic, it had all the elements to make it cool but meh. The art is kinda lower tier photoshop coloring quality and way too shiny, while the story itself didn't really connect with me at all.

20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You should check out Empire. Best series so far imo. Star Wars: Tales is also really worth it if you aren't hung up about canon as they gave the artists a lot of leeway to do whatever whacky thing they wanted. Some really bad but also some really exceptional tales were the result.

21. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Are these comics, TPBs or books? Might be worth looking into - Read the 50 page preview of "Kenobi" and that looks like something I'm going to pick up.

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Comics. For a writer like yourself the tales could be most interesting. They even had a classical 18th century seafaring story about gungan explorers!

DarthBreezy likes this.
  23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I have to say that I really don't think that a "Crisis on Infinite EUs" approach is the way to go.

24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    What would you think is the best approach?

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

It would be a way to kinda-not-really-but-kinda make the post ROTJ EU a part of Episode 7. Cuz as it stands right now, it's fairly likely none of it will be used. And continuing the post ROTJ-EU on it's own side-by-side to Ep. 7 is probably less likely. An ending story is a maybe but they'd probably just say Crucible was it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.