main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official Thread* - C-IV Social Thread - Good Times and Beyond!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ValedaKor, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I know, I know. :(. But it's water under the bridge, and all the other cliches I can think of. Just very sorry that he couldn't show for L.A.

2. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    That is ridiculous!!!

I cant believe he completely snubbed us, yet he will travel all that mileage for CE. Makes me sick, especially since he was supposed to show C4.

I wonder how true the other rumors are: That Ford, Lucas and Speilberg are supposed to show up as well. This is because I read it is convenient for them because they are in London filming Indy 4.

WHAT A CROCK!!!

3. The_Sith_Hunter

The_Sith_Hunter Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2005
    Wow. People can get pissed at anything. Maybe he had scheduling conflicts with C4. Even if Lucas and Ford show up to CE, it's again because it is more doable being in London. Why not just be happy for those who might get to see/meet them.

4. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Like I said, it's water under the bridge. No need to jump on anybody for anything.

5. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Hey, its great for the European fans and they have waited a long time for something like this...but is it too much to think that Hamill could have done one of the four Celebrations on this side of the pond instead of making his first Celebration appearance in Europe? I know it is difficult to do (apparently), but had we known this months ago we would be making the trip to Europe rather than L.A. I hope they don't put two Celebrations in the same year again. It will make it tough to choose ;)

6. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    I second that Moff.

Honestly, from where I reside, it would have been cheaper for me and my family to fly to England than LA. The only bad thing is that the exchange rate is terrible, but i still think it would have cost less for us. Wished we would have all been previed to this information prior to C4.

SAD SAD SAD...:_|

7. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Unfortunately, from what I understand that wouldn't have happened - CE people were told to hold back on announcements because of CIV. They had to wait till CIV was done to start the main announcements. Maybe lessons will be learned from having two Celebrations in one year and them competing for people.

8. ANGRY_LEIA

ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Master star 1

May 15, 2002
    I hate to be a "sour grapes" person, but I don't travel much due to my work schedule (I'm a nurse), and Celebration IV in LA was a big deal to me.

To read that all these special guests are showing up at Celebration Europe has really upset me.

I could have as easily gone to Celebration Europe if I knew it was going to have such a big celebrity turn-out, but am only finding out now...

I enjoyed CIV so much, and all-in-all it was life-changing for me, but I doubt with my health, and work, limitations I'll ever make it to many more Celebrations or meet/see/hear Mark Hamill, Lucas, etc in person...

I am disappointed.

Oh well,

Martha

9. Capt-SithPaark

Capt-SithPaark Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 24, 2004
    The newz about Hamill is unfortunate (would love to get his auto. someday)

Nowhere have I read that Ian is signing, says he's just there for the Opening Ceremonies (there is some comfort in that)

10. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Just an FYI -- the following will all be done by 2008 next door to the L.A. Convention Center, just in time for 2009 :p :

NOKIA Theatre
    The 235,00 square foot, 7,100-seat venue will host 125 music, family, dance and comedy acts, award shows, televised productions and short running Broadway theater events annually.
    Club NOKIA will host 150 concerts annually
    NOKIA PLAZA
    the 40,000 square foot open air plaza, capable of hosting special events, community gatherings, cultural festivals and live performances will be located in the very heart of L.A. LIVE. The plaza space has been designed with flexibility as well as state-of-the-art "plug-and-play" technology to accommodate broadcast events, large celebrations, festivals, outdoor concerts and other live programming.
    STUDIOS
    A 110,000 square foot showcase studio will be home to SportsCenter and a number of live shows and original programming broadcast on ESPN and its affiliate networks including ABC Sports. An additional broadcasting center is planned to accommodate national and local entertainment coverage, sports, news and music broadcasts.
    RESTAURANTS
    L.A. LIVE will be open for lunch and dinner, offering outdoor dining to take advantage of Los Angeles' pleasing climate.

Fleming's Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar will occupy approximately 7,250 square feet on the bustling corner of Olympic and Figueroa Boulevards. Just south is The Farm of Beverly Hills, a 7,000 square foot American restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch, dinner and an array of fresh bakery items.

Los Angeles' legendary Conga Room will relocate from its mid-Wilshire location and occupy approximately 13,000 square feet of second floor space.

Sushi and robata bar concept, Katsuya. Designed by Phillipe Starke, the ultra-hip 7,600 square foot, ground floor space will be utilized as the main dining room and a cocktail lounge will share the area.

Long Beach-based Yard House offers a wide menu of American food, excellent service and over 100 different beers from around the world and will feature a large outdoor dining terrace.

New York-based Rosa Mexicano brings a fine dining concept of traditional and nouvelle Mexican food within a contemporary David Rockwell design. Known for their pomegranate margaritas, guacamole freshly prepared tableside, and indoor water wall.

Los Angeles' own culinary icon, Wolfgang Puck will bring an exciting new California cuisine concept of fresh seafood, salads and steaks concept to L.A. LIVE in a 7,500 square foot location. The space, centrally located on NOKIA Plaza, will also be used for private parties and special events.

Several quick service restaurants are planned for L.A. LIVE as well.

Bowling
    Hollywood's own Lucky Strike will occupy approximately 24,000 feet on the second floor offering a café and bar, plus billiard tables, dart and private function rooms in addition to 18 state-of-the-art bowling lanes.

Museum
    The Recording Academy (NARAS) and AEG are together developing The GRAMMY Museum, the permanent home for the GRAMMY Awards. Slated to open in October 2008 to celebrate the 50th Anniversary year of the GRAMMY Awards, the one-of-a-kind museum experience will be the cornerstone of the exciting L.A. LIVE development and is expected to draw over 300,000 visitors annually.

The second phase will open in October of 2008 with the ESPN offices and studio, the ESPN zone, the restaurants, the Grammy museum, Club NOKIA, The Conga Room, Lucky Strike, the broadcast studio and the corporate office space.

PARKING
    Approximately 3,500 new parking spaces will be added to the existing parking supply servicing STAPLES Center and the Los Angeles Convention Center.

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
    L.A LIVE is well served by public transportation systems including the MTA Blue Line Station at Pico and Flower Streets, the MTA Red Line Subway at 7th and Figueroa, the LA Dot Downtown DASH shuttle service and numerous MTA regional and local bus routes.

11. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    WOW Val...thanks for the info. Good job!!!

12. ANGRY_LEIA

May 15, 2002
    Thanks so much, ValedaKor!

Great news for me, I loved LA, as a whole, thanks for the wonderful info...makes me look forward to LA even more!

Martha

13. miarama

miarama Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    I love bowling! :D

14. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    Is it a done deal already? Will the next con be in LA as well? I hope not.

15. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    No it isn't.

16. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    That's good. I'd really wish it would be a more central location.

17. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Did you guys see the article on the "Tantive IV Experience" at CE? Talk about cool - that looked like it was fun as hell to partake in. :D

I certainly hope we get something like that for C5, no matter where it is held.

18. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    I'd like to say they should have it here in Baltimore, but I don't think there are enough Kevlar vests to go around for everyone so it's probably not a good idea.

19. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I have to say I don't understand the temptation to ask for C5 in one's own city. I kind of like the fact that I have to go somewhere to get to cons. I enjoy having the excuse to leave home.

20. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    No, I didn't mean that I didn't want to travel, but Baltimore has turned into one hell of a tourist area. We have a large harbor that rivals any other major city. In fact, the whole area has been designed to be convention friendly. I'd be all for having the con in Vegas. That would rock!

21. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    You're not allowed to go to Vegas. You have a gambling problem. HAHA!

Actually Baltimore, Philly or NY would work for me.

22. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Jersey stinks too much... you don't want to have it there. LOL!

23. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Well, I know I've posted this before - :p - but I would be strongly opposed to having it in New York. It would be way too expensive and fewer people would come. There are no affordable hotels or places to eat in Manhattan at all. I found the part of LA we were in to be dirt cheap by comparison. I paid half as much for my sandwiches at Subway as I'm used to paying at home. :p The hotels we stayed in were also significantly cheaper than most NYC hotels.

24. ANGRY_LEIA

May 15, 2002
    Agreed...I've never been to NYC, but I can imagine the costs are much more than in LA. I was pleasantly surprised that most of the prices in LA were comparable to hotel/food/cab-fare prices found here in Austin, TX. More expensive than in other Mid-west/South areas, but still not bad!

Next Celebration I hope to take more time off work, stay at a hotel closer to CC, and enjoy the local sites, whether in LA or wherever...I definitely didn't see enough of LA at CIV...too much time spent waiting in line for yucky food, etc. at the convention center.

Martha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.