main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official Trailer D Discussion Thread**

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Mar17swgirl, Mar 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    http://luna.spaceports.com/~gkonings/Image59.jpg

Natalie... Ummmmm, Padme :D is riding a beast, while firing her guns looks like!

2. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Again, trailer Diaglogs in COLOR:

"I will not let this republic be split in two. My negotiations will not fail." - Palpy

"If they do, there aren't enough Jedi to protect the republic. We're keepers of the peace, not soldiers." - Mace

"You know I don't like it when you do that." - Obi-Wan

"Sorry master, I forgot you don't like flying." - Anakin

"Well you've lost him." - Obi-Wan

"If you'll excuse me," - Anakin

"I hate it when he does that." - Obi-Wan

"Anakin, don't do anything without either consulting myself or the council." - Obi-Wan

"You don't need guidance Anakin, I see you're becoming the greatest of all Jedi." - Palpy

"The boy has exceptional skills." - Mace

"His abilities have made him arrogant." - Obi-Wan

"Excuse me, I'm in charge of security here m'lady." - Anakin

"They're using a bounty hunter named Jango Fett to create a clone army." - Obi-Wan

"Wait" - Obi-Wan

"We must stop them before they're ready." -Bail Organa

"Your clones are very impressive" - Obi-Wan

"They'll do their job well" - Jango

"Blast, this is why I hate flying" - Obi-Wan

"This is a crisis... The senate must vote the Chancellor emergency powers" - Mas Amedda

"As my first act, I will create a grand army of the republic... to counter the increasing threats of the separatists." - Palpy

"There hasn't been a full-scale war since the formation of the republic." - Sio Bibble

"You must join me Obi-Wan, and together we will destroy the Sith" - Count Dooku

"The dark side clouds everything... in grave danger you are." - Yoda

"Begun, this clone war has." - Yoda

3. Cel

Cel Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2002
    I wonder what this new jedi (one who relaced Y, Poof at the council) will fight like,

and what kind of lightsaber does he have does he have samething to the rest of the council or something else?.

4. pktwarrior

pktwarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2002
    To CG or not to CG? That is the question. Whether it is nobler to create with your mind and a computer or your mind and a piece of plastic and rubber.

ANH-It looks like a bunch of plastic models on a string
    AOTC-It looks like a bunch of CGIs strung together.
    ROTJ-Jabba's palace is just a bunch of people in rubber masks.
    AOTC-The arena battle scene looks like a bunch of CGIs fighting people in rubber masks.

Point: This is GL's vision translated onto the screen with the lastest technology. CGI is here to stay and as the film industry moves forward, it will become a staple in every movie we see. Just look at Spider Man (kudos to the Spider Man marketing team for buying the time slot before the trailer). Would you rather see a stunt man in the Spider Man outfit flying between two buildings or would you rather see a CGI flying between ten buildings and ending up perched on top of a bridge, with one fluid motion of a camera?
    Fact is, CGI does not destroy the imagination (like I read 5 pages ago), it allows a writer or director to expand their imaginations and intorduce their viewers to new worlds and creatures.

This thread should be renamed the great CGI debate. The trailer was awesome and made me excited to spend $20 on a ticket and M&Ms come May 16th.

5. Upanishad

Upanishad Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm all for CGI as a tool to bring comic book storytelling to life as long as the STORY is good. I can forgive the poor compositing and cartoonish fx if it serves the purpose of telling an entertaining, pulp genre, fictional story.

This movie shows a lot of promise, but only time will tell for sure. I'm excited and hopeful that EP II will deliver!

6. Darth_Saruman

Darth_Saruman Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2002
    You guys are all nuts.
    Its an average trailer. One star.
    Man! Not one bit of character. Just action. Action, and more action. Progress the plot please - nothing about how these events make the characters feel - no emotion on their faces... Some may like that. But that ain't gonna make a great film. Nor redeem the franchise in people's eyes - for it is the general public that needs to be coaxed back to the star wars universe - not just the fans for it to do half as well as TPM. You guys will ensure its a small hit I suppose but unless the film is twice the quality of the trailer and not half the quality, which was the case with TPM and its superb trailers, hinting that the empire was about tot ake over the galaxy then and there, and the heroes had better get out nowe,; fgor they 'don't have much time', to quote Obi wan there. This trailer does nothing of the sort. Promises actions and delivers that - but no depth. How I wish forbidden love was the final trialer. Much better.
    So far (on judging this trailer alone) AOTC looks like more of the same from TPM - identical action, re-hashed corny lines and far too much happening at once. What made Star Wars (and empire) great was that only one thing at a time was happening and the audience could follow easily and catch their breath often. The dialogue was also punchy in its deliverance and not just potentially witty - like the very bad delivered line from Anakin in forbidden love - oh I would never tease a senator, he says perfectly seriiusly/. Man - that's a flirty line but it can't be deleivered serriously - do it mockingly, with a lto of false innconce - that makes it funny, and truly witty - not corny, rolling the eyts stuff! As for this trailer most lines there are simply stitled and corny. "Begun, this clone war has..." "I hate it when he does that..." - he says almost angrily - this should have been delivered with a huge grin... It can't be taken seriously, so why should Ob-wan take it seriously - having him shake his head in mirth, makes it an amusing, light moment instead of an eye rolling one for those in the audience not deluded by the razzle dazzle of speical effects. Bigger is not neccesarily better. Its just more confusing. At least the forbidden love trailer gave us a glimpse of an exciting human story - love conflicting with madness. This one just shows madness. Its gonna need a lot of luck to entice the general public into seeing it. As opposed to thirty something fans, geeks and teenagers.

7. M-RdotM-A-N

M-RdotM-A-N Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    How many fingers on each hand does that creature that scratches padme have?

8. X-WingDrvr

X-WingDrvr Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    The new trailer was impressive, definitely a lot to absorb, if the movie can hold up to it, then then none of us will be diappointed on 5/16. Plus the best part of the trailer wasn't even seen, the absence of Jar Jar Binks.

9. JULES_WINFIELD

JULES_WINFIELD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2001
    I know, what the hell were they thinking not giving up the entire plot and secrets of the movie in the trailer? Those idiots.

10. THE_DOODE

THE_DOODE Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    more whiners.......

i guess i'm gonna have to get more cheese...

11. xlr8r

xlr8r Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2002
    Darth Saruman,

I agree with you. They should have included the entire plot in the trailer. They should have also included the entire movie and credits too. But they didn't. You want to know why? Because it is a TRAILER. The very purpose of a trailer is to spark interest and fill theatre seats: NOT to give away "plot points" to satisfy "fanboy".

The trailer was great. It achieved its purpose and it was entertaining to watch - hence the whole purpose behind Star Wars: "Entertainment".

12. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Redeem the franchise? I think the fanbase needs the redemption.

13. M-RdotM-A-N

M-RdotM-A-N Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Now you suckas should know why there are so many threads poppin up, cuz nobody can answer a ***damn question. Ive posted about 3 questions in this thread and none of them have been answered. So quit your bitchin and answer some questions, maybe there will be less threads. I dont want to start any of my own threads, I jus want some answers.

14. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    For those of you who missed my thread about this, and/or just liked the AT-TE, I've done a pretty accurate version of it in Photoshop...

http://www.geocities.com/lt_cmdr_thrawn/finishedatte.jpg

15. JULES_WINFIELD

JULES_WINFIELD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2001
    We are sorry Rotman, now what were your questions again??

16. Knifeparty

Knifeparty Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 25, 2001
    Man, I really find it hard to believe that people are bashing this trailer. I don't understand how someone can see hundreds of Jedi ,thousands of droids,clonetroopers,and sweet looking war machines all engaged in a massive battle and not just say "cool"...Oh well,thier loss I guess......And, nobody can say it's because of the acting or anything, weve only seen snippits of it, hard to judge at this point.......

17. Griffz_is_dead

Griffz_is_dead Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2002
    "Redeem the franchise? I think the fanbase needs the redemption."

here,here!

18. Darth_Saruman

Darth_Saruman Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2002
    Well with what I saw, the only seats it was going to fill, were those who were going to go see it anyway - and if they were going to go see it anyway - why bother with a trailer?
    Save your money George.
    The purpose is to get people who are otherwsie not going to see it, but might, into seeing it. Not you guys, who were always going to go see it anyway, to go see it.
    So why just give us a mish mash of action?
    There are many things that entertain. And if you are captured, you dowloaded it. i would argue that any idiot - inlcuding myself - whow ent to the effort of downloading it, is not actually in need of the trailer. They will see the film anyway.
    So make the trailer - to be shown to other movie goers, appeal to a broader auidence and not just action fans. the story is there. He filmed it after all. He could have done it - and he doesn't have to reveal spoilers to do so.
    What's wrong with a few shots of Anakin's mother? What's wrong with a few conversations in a trailer - not just one liners interspersed by action...
    Anyway, I could ramble till the cows come home but I've got better things to do. The film will still be good - better than TPM and Jedi probably - but such a trailer won't make it do as well at the box office, than a deeper, less action focused one could have.
    Nor will its worldwide gross come within two hundred million of TPM's... He should sack also his marketing department if you ask me. TPM lost him fans and such a trailer won't be getting him any new ones or any of the old back either.

19. Griffz_is_dead

Griffz_is_dead Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2002
    "TPM lost him fans "

Those who "washed their hands" of everything Star Wars because they disliked TPM, were not, in fact, fans at all.

20. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    What are those Gigantic Sphere looking things taking off and landing. They can't be dropping off the Clone Troopers, Maybe the Battle and Super Battle Droids and Droidekas?

21. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    Darth Saruman, we usually ban trolls on this board. I think you'd be better off posting on a board which is for fans of a movie series you actualy like, so you should go to TheOneRing.Net. You know, you're ruining the train of discussion for the fans here, and none of us actualy care about your preconcieved notions for the PT, or the ridiculous ideas you got from the TPM trailer, or how you take every great thing that's been done by George Lucas & Co. and marks it up to meet your exact specifications.

Oh, and if yor respond to me, I'm actualy going to have to go through and address everything you said in your above posts if you're going to force me to show you how ridiculous your posts are. Now move along.

TOR Forums

22. arnemelchior

arnemelchior Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2002
    I fear that many of you have misunderstood my point in my reply on p. 63 concerning the use of CGI in AOTC. I am NOT arguing for a return to traditional special effects instead of the CGI-technology. I am just questioning the AMOUNT of CGI-detailing which I feel is undermining the clear story telling which was evident in the "old school" of Star Wars movies. The line between visual art and visual kitsch is really in danger of being crossed I fear!

23. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    These films are told visually. Every shot has some kind of symbolism involved. Given the scope and very nature of the story right now, alot of CGI is a neccesity, like it or no.

24. Ben_Sch-

Ben_Sch- Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    Darth_Saruman "Man! Not one bit of character"

What do you mean no character? It showed Anakin's start to the journey of the dark side. It introduced new creatures, new scenes more power given to Palapatine, and as for people not going to see it because it is full of action. Aren't people today all about action, fighting and that kind of stuff? I think they are because that is what most of the shows that are out are like.

-Ben Sch-

25. Darth_Icon

Darth_Icon Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    i have this to say about the trailer, i thought that it was AWESOME, to those who claim to be a die-hard star wars fan but didn't like it, then you are not a die-hard fan. all these people who complain about to much cgi, heck it's a make believe movie which 95% of the characters don't actually exist for goodness sake!! it has to be cgi driven, i mean come on really people, what would you ranther have people running around in ronald mcdonald outfits? and all those people who complained and whined about nsync being in a cameo shot, and said that if george kept them in they would not go see the movie, i say again you are not a die-hard fan, who cares if nsync is in the movie for a split second? i don't, i think the one and only thing that should ever be complained about of all the star wars
    movies which i hardly ever see any one touch
    on was how easily those god-forsaken ewoks were able to beat the highly trained emperial
    forces that led by lord vader was able to wipe out almost the entire jedi order, now that is a travesty that if i could i would re-do as far as the ewoks are concerned in that movie, all you people can complain about jar-jar binks all you want, but he in no way shape or form can ever live up to that ewok defeats the empire travesty!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.