main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga One More Day (Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan; for the Country Music Challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Independence1776, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    Disclaimer: I don?t own Star Wars or the lyrics to ?One More Day.?

Author?s Note: Written for the Country Music Roulette Challenge.

One More Day

One more day
    One more time
    One more sunset, maybe I'd be satisfied
    But then again
    I know what it would do
    Leave me wishing still, for one more day with you
    ~ Diamond Rio, One More Day

Qui-Gon hovered unseen in the midst of the crowd surrounding the funeral pyre. It was a trifle unnerving to see his own body burning, and not feel anything. But he was dead, a part of the Force, and yet still his own self.

In fact, he hadn?t even been sure the technique would work. The theory was sound, but there was no way to actually practise it. He had to trust in the Force, and that had never been a problem for him. Now, he was a ghost, for lack of a better term. No one could see him, and he had yet to find out if he could affect the material world. He didn?t even know if anyone could replicate what he did. It was just too soon to know.

He moved closer, to where Obi-Wan and Anakin were standing. Qui-Gon frowned, noticing the space between them. He could only hope that his apprentice would train the boy. If he couldn?t, all was lost. He saw Anakin turn to the older man and ask something. Obi-Wan replied back, and Qui-Gon frowned, frustrated, wanting to know what was going on. Anakin relaxed slightly, though, so maybe, hopefully, Obi-Wan would train him.

After the funeral was over and the pair was back in their suite, and Anakin was soundly asleep, Obi-Wan sat down on a couch in the main room. He closed his eyes and rubbed them. His master longed to sit next to him, to comfort him, to reassure him that all was well. But Qui-Gon couldn?t. He was dead, and that was the problem.

The entire problem. He hadn?t had time to tell Obi-Wan how much he cared for him, how much the reluctant master had come to depend on his apprentice. Obi-Wan was his son, no matter what the Council felt about attachments. They were unavoidable, and they had to be properly managed. But they weren?t inherently wrong. That was the road to disaster, for to deny attachment was to deny life. And he had missed the opportunity to tell Obi-Wan this.

Obi-Wan leaned forward, shoulders shaking. Qui-Gon moved in front of him, and saw tears falling off his chin. Oh, Padawan. If only I had been able to tell you. If I only had one more day...

But he didn?t. And Obi-Wan would never know what he had meant to him. He followed the grief-stricken young man into his sleeping chamber and stood next to him as he fell asleep. Once he was deeply asleep, Qui-Gon stretched out his hand and gently stroked his cheek, not able to feel anything beyond Obi-Wan?s warmth in the Force. He removed his hand, and straightened up.

Obi-Wan, I promise you. One day, I will find a way to tell you what you mean to me. One day, I will tell you how much I love you. But for now, farewell, my Padawan.

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    :_| Oh, that was so beautiful and so sad at the same time. Beautifully handled. =D=

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    But he didn?t. And Obi-Wan would never know what he had meant to him. He followed the grief-stricken young man into his sleeping chamber and stood next to him as he fell asleep. Once he was deeply asleep, Qui-Gon stretched out his hand and gently stroked his cheek, not able to feel anything beyond Obi-Wan?s warmth in the Force. He removed his hand, and straightened up.

I really liked that phrase of sensing Obi-Wan's warmth in the Force. It just seems such a perfect way for a ghost to feel a living being.

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved it and the way Qui-Gon interacted with Obi-Wan hinting at things to come.

5. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was so bittersweet.

How frustrating it must have been for Qui not to be able to communicate with anyone yet.

I loved his vow to one day reach Obi.

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This was great. I loved that Qui-Gon was trying to reach Obi-Wan from beyond the grave, wanted to tell him how much he was loved.

He was dead, and that was the problem.

The entire problem. He hadn?t had time to tell Obi-Wan how much he cared for him, how much the reluctant master had come to depend on his apprentice. Obi-Wan was his son, no matter what the Council felt about attachments. They were unavoidable, and they had to be properly managed. But they weren?t inherently wrong. That was the road to disaster, for to deny attachment was to deny life. And he had missed the opportunity to tell Obi-Wan this.

Obi-Wan leaned forward, shoulders shaking. Qui-Gon moved in front of him, and saw tears falling off his chin. Oh, Padawan. If only I had been able to tell you. If I only had one more day...

Beautiful and so sad. Great job.

7. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    Alexis_Wingstar: Thank you! :)

Valairy_Scot: My thought exactly!

earlybird-obi-wan: The hints are wonderful, aren't they?

KELIA: Yeah, I figured that since it took ten years for Yoda to hear him, he wouldn't know how to do much of anything immediately. Because of the vow, I have a niggling idea of writing a sort-of sequel to this of their first converation after RotS. *grabs plot-bunny repellent*

dianethx: Thank you so much! I truly believe that Qui-Gon regretted the rift between Obi-Wan and himself, but didn't know how to say it (or didn't have the time). There was so much going on, personal matters had to come last. And there wasn't the chance to work it out. Hence this fic. :)

8. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    :_| *sniff* So beautiful, and yet so heart breaking... *sniff* :_|

9. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Beautiful! =D=

The entire problem. He hadn?t had time to tell Obi-Wan how much he cared for him, how much the reluctant master had come to depend on his apprentice. Obi-Wan was his son, no matter what the Council felt about attachments. They were unavoidable, and they had to be properly managed. But they weren?t inherently wrong. That was the road to disaster, for to deny attachment was to deny life.

And that was the heart of their mistake!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.