main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics A/V One Sentence or Less -- ANDOR (SEASON 1)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 18, 2012.

1. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    I really want to win this one

Help me SW fans, your my only hope

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Voters...

You must do what you feel is right, of course.

Random Comments likes this.
  3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Eh, nothing wrong with Sith. Just Karpyshyn.

Of course, I don't really consider Sith "cool" either. Just effective villains as long as their not overused. Oh wait.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    And LarryG pulls into the lead with 9.

Might as well get it over with: Dynasty of Evil.

5. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    The book that people thought had an ambiguous ending, but then Karpyshyn felt the need to ram it into our skulls that he's not an ambiguous writer, doesn't do that "artsy" stuff, and proceeded to kill any sort of possibility of speculation or thought about the ending.

6. GrandMasterKatarn

GrandMasterKatarn Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 8, 2008
    The novel the brought you Darth Cognus and killed the last remaining character from Jedi vs Sith that was left alive

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Old and wrinkly Darth Bane is really upset his small and girly apprentice hasn't killed him so he plots to put himself in her body so he can make his Rule of Two nonsensical (with added bonus of an unrelated plot with a guy we never see again learning the same super-power!).

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The ultra-generic, dull, stupid, anticlimactic cherry on the Karpyshyn Bane trilogy **** sundae.

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Bane decides to cross-dress and Zannah has Alien Hand Syndrome

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Darth Bane: Rule of Cool.

And for the trilogy in general:

Books, for guys who like Books.

Zorrixor likes this.
  11. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Dynasty of evil. You left out girls, too. Some girls might like it, like some boys do.

12. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    The novel featuring the competition for the most boring and Generic character, opens with Zannah, drops out early when she meets the second most interesting character in the book; Set Harth, who is like Han Solo only evil and an @$$, next Bane gets off to a good start however he meets the most interesting character in the novel; Serra, who wants revenge and has a character arc, but then Zannah gives Bane her permission to die and he obliges, THUS we have our winner Darth Cognus, the most boring and generic character; who some how has the power to see the future and shut down force powers like an evil Ysalamir, with less personality.

Zorrixor likes this.
  13. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    OR If that was too long;

The Threequal to the book with the really long name introducing Set Harth and a new Sith no one cares about, also a Princess has a character arc and therefore must die, also Bane gets permission to die.

Zorrixor and Random Comments like this.
  14. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Zannah gains a prestige class and the author demonstrates an utter lack of subtlety.

15. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Was she an Assassin or a Sorcerer?

I mean she had the double bladed saber but also some Sith magic

Zorrixor likes this.
  16. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I'd wager Sorcerer. My Jedi Masters sometimes end up with double-blades. We could always ask Karpyshyn, I'm sure he had all of her stats figured out.:p

Zorrixor likes this.
  17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Probs, although how do you think Drew Compares to Denning?

I prefer Drew, his books, while a bit simple, have good guys being good and evil bad guys, Denning has a lot of trouble with the former in my opinion.

18. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Drew is a continuity steamroller, while Denning is a character steamroller. I can't decide. Drew ran roughshod over the Exile in Revan, while Denning turned Jacen into a Sith. The Darth Bane books didn't offend me when I first read them, whereas Inferno made me really angry even back when I still liked LotF.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I favor Drew.

Denning is okay but he loves his roguish antiheroes and there's no greater roguish antihero in his mind than Luke Skywalker.

RC-1991 likes this.
  20. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    There are two things wrong with this sentence.

1. Denning doesn't have 'roughish' anti-heros. That would be a jaded character who is a cynical bad@$$, but with his (or her) heart in the right place. Like Han in ANH or the Dwarf in Game of Thrones.

2. Denning's Anti-heros are thugs that we are told have the moral high ground. AND LUKE IS NOT EITHER ONE OF THESE THINGS.

krtmd and GrandMasterKatarn like this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Luke is more like Tywin Lannister, the cynical chessmaster.

:)

22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    To be perfectly fair, the only time where I truly feel Karpyshyn botched continuity was with Path of Destruction (though of course you could argue that Bane's character was a big continuity flaw in of itself). I don't feel that the Exile was characterized badly at all, actually, just that she really got the short end of the stick when it came to role in the narrative. Hell, that can even be argued with Revan... giving half of the POV to a generic Sith named Scourge is not what I, or anyone, wanted in a book about Revan and the Exile.

Karpyshyn is in a lot of ways the Michael Bay of the Star Wars universe (though I don't care what you say, Michael Bay is far worse in every respect). He writes fairly entertaining "popcorn" works, and you might be entertained reading them, though you'll feel somewhat empty and unfulfilled afterwards.

Luke and Tywin Lannister? That's certainly a combination I would have never dreamed of... haven't read Denning's books myself yet.

Personally, I have no problem whatsoever with Luke being a chessmaster. The "cynical" part should be used only in very small doses, though, if at all. And this is coming from a cynic.

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    We need a Revan discussion, rather than review, thread because god knows the best way to write a book about the tactician Revan is to have him decide to go head-on against the Sith Emperor and kill him.

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Heh. When reading Revan, I was actually happy that Karpyshyn decided to note Revan's more manipulative and subtle side (even if he didn't outright show it, not really his bag), by having him manipulate and guide Scourge over the course of three years, a process that pretty much led to Scourge's betrayal of the Emperor in TOR.

Then he seemingly threw it out the window with his plan of attack that had me scratching my head. I guess even the greatest generals have the occasional stumble? :p

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    "Oh crud, I forgot Revan is going to lose. Gotta change things."