main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA Orange County Saber Academy [formerly The Lightsaber Training Class]

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Zhi-don, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zhi-don

Zhi-don Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2005
    I would love one too, but funding will keep me from getting one for a while. I guess I will just have to use my wood dowel and polycarbs, except when it's dark, then I will use my EL.

2. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    I can probably get one close to the end of the year if you do a second order, my money tree should be in full blossom by then.

3. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I gotta wait at least one more month to get my MR saber and then mod it. I've got school, and we all know a Jedi is always on a quest for knowledge!

4. Enforcer_Draconus

Enforcer_Draconus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    your probably better off doin a custom saber shop one then an MR Mod plus you have something thats yours and not someone elses saber

5. S_C_A-lexander

S_C_A-lexander Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2005
    Fools right! Got to go original!

6. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    its not that i am right its that MR sucks all their crap is exactly that Crap and they are abunch of ****bags!!!

7. jsoto81

jsoto81 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2005
    anyway, i'll be there this wendesday. I look forward to it. Maybe I can get my brother to come along with me.

8. Zhi-don

Mar 22, 2005
    There will be no class this Sunday....due to the club meeting.

9. tiepilottillard1701

tiepilottillard1701 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 10, 2003
    What club meeting?

10. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Ok, I called Don after I read his post. ("what meeting"?)

He had a bit of a brain fart and misread the date for the next meeting, thinking it was tomorrow, instead of September.

The class will go on tomorrow as usual. He was tired and asked me to post this for him.

11. tiepilottillard1701

tiepilottillard1701 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 10, 2003
  12. Zhi-don

Mar 22, 2005
    Sunday Class Announcement:

Due to circumstances which most of you are aware of, I am moving the Sunday class to Saturdays temporarily. Class time will remain the same.

Thanks to Lori, Shandon and Matt who came to yesterdays class. Matt tried out his new rapier and it worked quite well. He is much faster and more accurate with a one handed weapon than he was with a standard shinai. With a little more practice he should be quite good.

Shandon, Lori and I continued with what Smudge calls a three-for-all. This means everyone for himself using 3 people. This really give you good hand-eye coordination and makes for good reflex action.

Just a word of warning, grass is slippery and can cause you slip and fall if you aren't careful. I did this and was suprised to find that it didn't hurt as much as it used to and I was able to get up and fight right away. Once more plus for losing weight.

Pax Vobiscum

13. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    We all look forward to new blood, Ms. Soto.

As for Smudge, have you added a foam tip to your carbon-fiber wand?

As for Matt- well anybody would find waving around a lighter weapon much easier. Everyone has their flavor. But a 2 plankers is as light as a foil, far from realistic use, but of course this is the OC Saber Academy, where some will argue a lightsabers wieghtlessness, or Lucus original vision that he changed from, and that is heavy broad sword. If anything you should learn, from sticking with light 2 planker, is placement of footwork and distancing of your weapon. I'm hoping that you'll learn to hit with the tip rather than hack and slash with the midpoint of a shinai blade. Keeping your distance is key when using lighter weapons and second its easier to hit away so be careful of that.

I look forward to testing the praise Don has given you!

And be safe everyone.

14. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    hey smudge did you find anything yet that we can fight with with the mortuary hilt?

15. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    Here is something for everyone to take a look at:

Fight Science

16. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    well thats good for martial arts fighting

17. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    LOL.

You said it!

18. the_black_smudge

the_black_smudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2004
    Alex, Yes I padded the tip as I said I would. I for one applaud Matt's success with the new weapon. Bear in mind we are not in this to bash the bejesus out of each other so a lighter touch is an asset. If Matt decides to work with steel then worry about weight issues.

Rion, not yet unless you want to pit mortuary hilt against an axe or shortsword or suchlike.

19. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    i wouldnt mind if you wanted to bring it that would be cool

20. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    Smudge, that's true. We have our rules about bashing. But we are seemingly planning a 'special' tournament and we do challenge ourselves as any force-user would like to do (and thats the martials arts in me, don't like it- sue me). But working with a little heft only makes the rapier lighter after a few practices. If you practice with a standard mostly (for just strengthening) and then throw your concentration into the 2 planker, you'll become faster and the 2 planker then feels easier to wield. You (Eric) must agree with me on this.

I know of many others who literally put rapier baskets on their 4 plank shinai's as rapier's training weapon. And they could easily beat any force user in the oc up and down the block, 2 planker or not. If they went 2 planker, then its like god mode then. (Rob you've seen it.) My point is you can stick with a 2 plank as your weapon of choice, but train with a little heft, so when you need it (ie. line or tourney) it becomes easy and feels like reactive thought, not a struggle with kinesthetics or strategy.

They're will always be an argument of power vs speed, that's just physics. But it doesn't seem deniable that every1 here is trying to get faster. Rion complains about my power many times, if I gave my true full power people would fall down because I'd put my body weight into my cuts. My speed is mostly arms and distancing for me. Rion give me his fastest, and if they connect- I've learned a lesson; block better.

Smudge and Phil have done this long enough to know that you can have control, but if you're opponent takes an unpredictable step in or worse ducks to low, they're getting stung. And better to be stung than cracked bones and broken skin.

21. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    that because you hit too hard we are to use light touches i know you hit me in the face pretty hard i couldnt drink or eat anything cold for 2 weeks and the arm hit you did the first shot before the head shot i had a welt for 3 days just above my gauntlet that was about the lenght of a smashed penny and about as wide and as thick as a quarter now yer telling me thats not hitting too hard?

22. S_C_A-lexander

Oct 3, 2005
    And what have we learned?

I can only say I've had worse.

You come at me with all your speed, I just block. There's the lesson 'block'

Accidents happen, I went for your shoulder, you stepped in and hit my tsuka- were you on the floor, were knocked unconcisious? I didn't intend to crown you to the floor. You were still standing, I'd be upset too, but do you serious think I intended to leave you a shiner. Its gonna happen, me, Jenny, Joe, anybody.

Understand that I don't come with the intention to drop you down.

Once and for all, everyone should understand that even though we are in a fantasy, we train, we learn control, we restrict ourselves, we do choreographing. This that we do, borrows from an art of killing, of death. There is no 100%% garuntee that no one who picks up a stick (even with helmets, padding and armor,) will not get hurt, welted, or marked.

Even though Rion had gauntlets his elbow were exposed, and he learned the importance of basic blocks.

23. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    dude are you serious? every time ive seen you fight and most of the time ive heard you have hit people repeadly in the head it seems to be a re-occuring theme with you

i know the importance of blocking dont talk down to me like some kid ok

and i see you as a disrespectful and dishonorable fighter you say you are this great master of control and skill yet most of the time ive seen you fight the other person gets hurt

so you come at me with full power i do the same that shows me how you want to be treated as a fighter and if you cant control it then i simply wont fight you at all plain and simple

24. the_black_smudge

the_black_smudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2004
    Alex I must agree with you that if you train with a heavier weapon and then switch to a light, your skill will be improved by it. (and is it too much to ask that you spell my name right? I did give you one of my cards) I must also agree that what we do carries an element of risk. However, while as you said, we are not putting everything into our hits, you ARE STILL PUTTING TOO MUCH! Also (as we have discussed before) You seem to have more than your share of headshots and power issues. For someone with so much experience and skill as you continually inform us that you have, these things happen far too frequently. Yes, accidents can happen but when they keep happening to the same people then something is wrong!

Also, while it is true that we take a tremendous amount of our technique and training styles from real world martial arts and combat, the focus of this group is FANTASY combat! That means that if some element of realism interferes with that goal, then it is changed to better reflect the desired "look" we are going for. If you want hyper realistic swordfighting, go join the SCA and become a stickjock.

Rion I'd love to bring them but even if I did it's illegal to fight with steel in a public park without special permits. Bringing them out and showing them off is kind of skirting the edge as it is. If you like, we can arrange a time and you can come over to my house and we can bang steel then.

25. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    ok sounds good ive got to get some steel time in before you leave forsure!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.