main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ordinary World/A.U. J.A. ( posts June 25,28 NEW POST JULY 12 )

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by jodiwent, Jan 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Ordinary World/an Alternative Universe J.A. Story.

Inspired by a dream, this is sort of a prequel to Healer Leona's 'Should as Strangers We Meet.' In that it is the Obi-Wan from that parallel universe who is the one in this story. It is about the time between when he left the jedi and joins the Terrian Gypsies. Of course I got H.L.'s permission to say so. I think Qui-Gon(the parallel universe's) is killed by Xanatos a few years later than in her story. (I am using the Lars names from my story To Stand Alone)

Link to Healer Leona's Story

Anyway here goes.
    Bandomier, that was a name Obi-Wan Kenobi grew to hate, almost as much as the name Qui-Gon Jinn, or Jedi. What he once would have given all to be, he could not stand to even hear about. The jedi were the ones who said he wasn't good enough...

Some days the sixteen year old didn't even want to get out of bed. Today was no different. He was thinking about the day he had been dragged back to Coruscant by the man who should have been teaching him to be a jedi, not bringing him back to the temple to be sent off to another agri-corps assignment.

When the mine and everything else on Bandomier was destroyed, Obi-Wan was supposed to return to Coruscant. Instead the boy skipped onto a different transport and found his way to Alderaan. It actually took the jedi a year to track him down. When they did, they sent Qui-Gon to bring him back.
    Obi-Wan had been making his way scamming and scrapping before he found that swoop racing paid well. When he had enough to buy a used swoop he had started the thing that allowed the jedi to find him. When he saw Master Jinn he flew into a rage.

"What are YOU doing here!"

"Looking for you."

"You have nothing to do with me anymore Jedi." The boy spat out to the Master.

"You are still a minor and the jedi are responsible for you for the next four years." Qui-Gon said calmly. "You have to go back."

"Go back to being a farmer. I don't think so." Obi-Wan went back to his repairs on his swoop. "Why you?"

"Why me what?"

"Why did they send you to find me?" The ex-jedi slammed his hydrospanner on his swoop. "Of all the thousands of jedi in the galaxy why did they have to send you?" Anger rang in the boy's voice.

"You know that you and I have a connection that made it easier for me to find you. It would have taken another longer."

"It took you a year, that's not long?"

"Obi-Wan let's go." Jinn said coldly. Kenobi did not budge. "Look either you come with me now, and go back to the agri-corps or I let the Alderaanian authorities know there is an underage pilot racing here and they send you to a juvenile lock up as an unaccompanied minor. I'm giving you about a minute to decided."

Obi-Wan was furious, he wanted to whack the jedi with the tool in his hand. He knew better, Qui-Gon would lay him out flat if he tried. He did not want to be locked up either. He had no choice now. He could always run away again later.

So he went back to the temple with Qui-Gon Jinn hating him every moment of the flight to Coruscant. When he saw Master Yoda he wanted to hate him too, but he never could hate Master Yoda. He knew that even thought the old master would have done anything he could have to keep Obi-Wan with the jedi, when Qui-Gon Jinn said no he would not take Kenobi as his apprentice, there was nothing else that could be done.

"Missed you we have Obi-Wan Kenobi." Yoda said.

"If you say so Master." Obi-Wan said in a voice that showed how broken in spirit he had become. "I don't want to go back to the agri-corps. Isn't there some place else you could send me?"

"Yes, some place else, send you we will." For a moment Yoda's words gave him a glimmer of hope. "To your family we can release you." His family? That may have been worse than the agri-corps. He knew nothing about them. "Live not far from where you were they do. On the farming moon of Alderaan."

"Farming moon?" Obi-Wan's hopes of

2. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    Wow, this alternate reality is quite disturbing! A very intriguing start, I look forward to reading more!

3. Kaylla Norn

Kaylla Norn Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2000
    MORE!!!

.......Please.

4. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Wow, I had no idea you were planning something like this. Good job! An engaging story, and you tell it so well. I liked the way he couldn't be angry at Master Yoda, but he was certainly angry at Qui-Gon. What's going to happen next? I liked the idea of Obi-Wan as a swoop racer!

5. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    YES! ANother story...taking off a young Obi-wan. Now that should be interesting.

MORE MORE!

Kit

6. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Oh, another story to look forward to! Hope you have lots more for us to read...soon! And I loved the use of that song, it's one of my faves :)

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

You started!!! And quite wonderfully. So how many do you having running now??? Not that I'm complaining Jodi :)

Post soon, post often!

8. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Jane up untill a few days ago niether did I.
    Obi-Wan walked to the field where he and Owen, his eight year old half brother, were supposed to be planting seedlings that day. "Oh, what a thrill." The teen thought.

All he wanted to do today was work on his swoop. One thing Oren had allowed him to do was have his swoop sent from Alderaan. If Oren had known the trouble it would cause he never would have. Obi-Wan had been caught more than once with other bored farmer's sons And daughters holding illegal drag races. Now he was told he could only ride it in emergencies or to do farm business. That was a compromise his mother, Trina, had asked her husband to make. If it were up to Oren he would have sold the thing.

Obi-Wan was trying to figure a way to organize another race without his step father finding out. What ruse could he use, when he thought of one he would let the other racers know. They all still managed to communicate with each other thought their parents had told them to stay away from that 'Kenobi' kid. He was a bad influence on their darling sons and daughters. Little did they know that the illegal races had been going on long before Obi-Wan even arrived at the farming colony. Obi-Wan only started the betting on them.

Obi-Wan had been taking his time getting to where he was going. When he saw what Owen was doing instead of planting seedlings, something told him to run. The force had warned him that the boy was in danger. Why was Owen pulling the razor wire on the fence? The teen hadn't moved that fast in years. He reached his little brother just in time to catch the razor wire before it smacked into Lars' face.

"Sith!" Kenobi said as his hand was cut and he pushed Owen out of the way. "Well that was pretty stupid!" He had dropped the wire and shook his bleeding hand as if to shake away the pain. "Don't just stand there, get me a rag or something."

Owen didn't know weather he should thank his brother for saving him from injury, or to cry because he was yelling at him. There were some rags on the hover sled that the seedlings were on. The boy ran to get one without saying anything. He held it out and Obi-Wan snatched it from the kid, making Owen flinch. He was a little more than scared by his mother's other son. Kenobi had never hit him, but it always seemed the possibility was there.

"You know you're not supposed to touch the fence." Obi-Wan scolded.

"I know, but you weren't here and it needed to be fixed. I didn't want to plant the seedlings only to have some wild animals tramp through and squash them."

"Yhea, whatever." Obi-Wan now bandaged his hand. "I won't be able to race for weeks now."

"Don't mean ride?"

"No I mean race."

"Dad said..." Obi-Wan gritted his teeth at Owen. He hated when Owen called Oren 'Dad'. Owen had every right to, Obi-Wan despised it. Owen corrected his mistake. "My Father said you're not supposed to race anymore."

"Sense when do I do what your father says? What Oren doesn't know won't bother him."

Owen stared at his disrespectful brother, why was he so contrary? Obi-Wan got hurt helping him but then told him point blank that he was not going to obey Oren.

"You start on those plants." Obi-Wan said, tying the rag bandage off. "I'll fix the stupid fence." As he started to re-wire the fence he muttered. "What kind of fool still uses razor wire." He made a variety of other various noises that showed his discontent.

When the fence was done, he started helping Owen with the plants. It was monotonous, hard, work. He didn't used to mind hard work before he got there. He looked at Owen who seemed to find the repetition somehow peaceful. Peace was something Kenobi found hard to find these days, inside he was at war with himself. This was one of the last places he wanted to be.

Around midday Oren Lars brought lunch and water to the two boys. He had been in other parts of the farm, seeing to irrigation situations and other such things. The first thing he noticed was the half *** job Obi-Wan had done fix

9. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Oh Jodi, that is so sad! Poor Obi-wan and poor Owen as well.

Kit

10. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    Wow, two posts and I'm already hooked! Obi-Wan's behaviour is quite odd, one the one hand he's angry etc and the other he's protecting Owen. Definitely evidence of his inner struggle. Please post more as soon as you can!

11. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    You got to remember this is not the same Obi-Wan. He left the Jedi with a lot of hard feelings, though the way he instantly raced to Owen's side shows he hasn't lost touch with much of what he was taught.

Wonderful post Jodi!

12. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Yes, I see that inner struggle, too, outwardly all defiance, and yet inside yearning for peace. There's still some goodness in him, the way he saved Owen from the fence, and then later "did not want Owen to know what it was like to be hit by Oren." You're really portraying this well, Jodiwent. Keep up the great work!

13. Kaylla Norn

Mar 2, 2000
    Your right Imzadi... only took two posts to thourally hook me too. Course jodiwent has gotten lots of practice. <vbg>

I like it. It's intersting. I like the way that even though obi is hurting and angrey and all how he still takes care of owen. protecting him and taking care. Please please please post again soon!

Obi really does seem to hold what he learned from the jedi even if he is so disrespectful... it doesn't sound like he has reason to respect. the crack about remembering that owen was his brother, and then the worry about owen being hit. yet he obveeously took what yoda said to heart about not using the force in bad ways since the man isn't afraid to hit him... Obi could probably flaten him with his training and the force but....

please please post again soon.

14. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    H.L. you said it better than me.
    As soon as he was free from the work on the farm, which was fairly late in the evening, Obi-Wan was working on his swoop. He was always trying to make the piece of junk faster. He had been hoping to buy a more powerful forward thrust repulser for just that reason. The teen had every intention of planning and winning another race. Every chip he earned was either put back into the swoop or saved.

He had been saving all of his credits for the day that he was eighteen or he ran away before that. The problem was that most of money was locked up in Oren's safe. Both his mother and step father had thought it wise not to just hand the teenager all those credits. Of course they did not know about the ones he had won and stashed by racing. He had spent those on the swoop however.

So when his friendly parts supplier 'Spanner' came by with the coveted repulser, Obi-Wan did not have the means to pay for it.

"I guess I'll just have to sell this to Delf." Spanner told him.

"No, no, no." Obi-Wan pleaded. "Not that Nerf."

"Afraid of a little competition, 'Jedi'?" Spanner joked.

"Don't call me that." Obi-Wan despised that in the racing crowd he was known as 'The Jedi' still. "I'll have the money next week."

"Next week what good does that do me?"

"I said..." Obi-Wan waved his hand in front of the parts peddler's face. "I'll have the money next week."

"You'll have the money next week." Spanner felt compelled to repeat.

"Next week is fine."

"Next week is fine."

"I've made a lovely purchase."

"You've made a lovely purchase." Spanner forked over the repulser and turned to go, not quite knowing why.

Obi-Wan was grinning as he looked at the object that would make his swoop the fastest swoop on this force forsaken place. He did not use his force abilities that much any more. He knew if the jedi got wind of an ex-initiate using his powers in the wrong way they would do something about it. He had every intention of paying Spanner for the part, it wasn't as if he was stealing it.

He knew that if he ran away he would have to be careful not to use the force or draw attention to himself until he reached the age where Lars or the jedi were not responsible for him. The galaxy was a big place, but news of someone using the force in the wrong way would travel fast. For now he was content to start cleaning up his new toy and installing it in the swoop. Now if he only had a reason to take it for a ride. He'd have to wait.

"Obi-Wan?" It was Trina, his mother. "It's time for supper."

"I don't want anything."

The next voice was Oren's. "Get in here, your mother has made this for everyone. Show some respect and eat it."

That made Obi-Wan want it even less, but for his mother, he went in. When he sat at the table Oren had to get on his case again. "You could clean up a little before you sit at our table."

Obi-Wan hadn't noticed the grease all over his hands, and the bloody bandage. He still rolled his eyes as he went to wash up. How much he would love to start another fight, if Oren really lost it, he'd be the one locked up. Not tonight something told him. Don't bring anymore pain to your mother, some bit of goodness left in him whispered. How she could ever get involved with this looser he never understood. They seemed to actually 'love' each other. "Yuck." Obi-Wan shivered as he thought about it. How could anyone love Oren Lars he thought as only a teenager could think. He real father had been a jedi, someone he could have been proud of, not a dirty farmer. Plus the fact that Oren was a mean one to boot.

When he returned to the table Oren could not stop himself from commenting once again on Obi-Wan's hygiene. "Can't you do something with that hair?" He said as part of it fell over his step son's face and into his food. "Tie it back or something?"

"No, I couldn't." Was all Obi-Wan said. This time Oren did not take the bate. He too did not want to upset his wife. Trina seemed to think there was some hope for this little

15. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    Excellent post! This is so enthralling! Tatooine? Hmm, I wonder if Obi-Wan will be joining them? And if he does, what will happen? I'm looking forward to more!

16. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Obi-Wan is really far away from the Temple now, isn't he? I liked the part where he told himself he really was going to pay for the part next week, that he wasn't just stealing, then thought about how careful he had to be about using the Force in the wrong way. And the way he was thinking about Oren, and Oren was thinking about him. I'll be interested to see what Uncle Norden has to say, but somehow, I don't think Obi-Wan will end up going to Tattooine with the rest of the family.

17. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Yes, I am interested too in what happens to Obi-wan now. I like the new Obi-wan too...

Kit

18. Kaylla Norn

Mar 2, 2000
    hmm what will happen next I wonder?! Plesae post!

19. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Excellent post Jodi.

Obi-Wan using the Force for his own use doesn't surprise me. It would be hard not to when one knows he has the ability.

And I agree with Obi about Tattooine, who in their right mind would want to go there.

I also have questions about Oren's investment, like where did he get the money??? (wink, wink)

20. Jedi_Borme

Jedi_Borme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2000
    I like this story. I can't wait to read more.

21. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    You've got another winner on your hands Jodi!!!! It's really only just begun and already I am hopelessly hooked (and loving it I might add!!)

Of course I can't wait for more!

22. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    jodiwent, how do you do it? :) This looks like another terrific story.

23. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    A few minutes after he had huffed out of the house, Obi-Wan's mother came out to see where he was. When he saw Trina he quickly tossed the cigarette he was puffing to the ground and stomped it out. "I'm not going back in."

"I wasn't going to ask you too." Trina showed Obi-Wan that she had some Baccta in her hands. "I came out here to get some of this on that cut. You would just let the thing fester and then you'd be off to the healers."

Obi-Wan managed to crack a smile. He held out his injured hand and let Trina apply the swab of germ killing medicine. There were some times when her son, raised by the jedi, allowed her to be a mother to him. As she gently held his hand and put the Baccta on she told him something. "Owen told me what you did."

"Owen's got a big mouth."

"Why don't you want anyone to know you actually care about some things?"

"It doesn't matter what I care about, does it."

"I wish you wouldn't say that. You make things so difficult for yourself."

"Why, because I won't be, or do what everyone else wants."

Trina sighed. "All I know is you better get used to the fact that we are going to Tatooine."

"Had I?"

"Don't start that nonsense with me Obi-Wan Kenobi."

Somehow his mother calling him by his full name always stopped him from being smarmy. When Oren did it, it just p.o.ed him more. "Tell me about my father again."

"It hasn't changed sense the last time I told you."

"He was a brave and powerful jedi, right?"

"Right."

"And you loved him."

"If you only knew how much."

"And you miss him?"

"Of course."

"If he hadn't died, you would have never ended up with Oren."

"Ended up? With him? You talk as if I were in prison." Obi-Wan's eyes were reflecting the bitter feelings he had towards his step father. "If you would give him a chance..."

"Why should I he's never given me one."

"Because he is my husband, and Owen's father." Trina sighed again. "Could you at least try to make yourself look more like a human and less like a wookie?"

Obi-Wan scratched at the side of his face thinking. "All right." He mumbled.

"Good, then maybe one of the 'nice' girls will take notice of you."

"What's the difference, if we're as you say going to Tatooine?"

"That is not going to change." Trina left her eldest son to his own thoughts and went back to the rest of the family. She worried about Obi-Wan if he did not change soon he would be more than a troublesome young man. Obi-wan went back to working on his swoop and planning the next secret race. He had an even bigger incentive now to win some money. He was going to need all the credits he could get his hands on to make his escape. He would never under any conditions end up on Tatooine.

Obi-Wan fell asleep next to his precious machine, but woke up early and went inside to do as he had promised his mother. He actually showered, washed his hair putting it in a ponytail to keep it out of his face, shaved, and put on clean clothes. For all his work in making himself presentable, Oren had to make a crack.

"Trina get in here there's a stranger in the house." He called out sarcastically. "I think it might be your son."

Obi-Wan made a face at Oren and went to get some breakfast.

"You look very nice today Son." Trina said peeking in the door. "You look like your father."

Now Oren made a face. Owen now entered the kitchen.

"Wow, you look like it's someone's birthday Obi-Wan."

Obi-Wan made no comment positive or negative he just buried his face in his bowl of cereal he had started to eat. He did look good, but he did not care, he had only done it for his mother.

"Can I have what your having Obi?"

"It's a free planet, or so I've heard."

Oren cleared his throat.

"I'll get you some." Obi-Wan went to get his little brother a bowl of the same thing he had.

"You see he can be civilized." Oren huffed. No one even acknowledged his comment.

After giving Owen his breakfast and finishing his, Obi-Wan asked his step father a question that took Oren off guard. "How much do I have saved?"

"How m

24. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    Interesting! I think Healer Leona was right to be suspicous. Just where did Oren get the money? Great post!

25. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Yeah there is something suspicious going on when he won't tell them how much has been saaved.

Kit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.