main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padmé's Packing Dress in AOTC

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah, that's what I meant. Matching color. Sorry!

2. cressie

cressie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    AHHHHH!!!! Crinkle silk chiffon is the devil's fabric!!! :_| (they need a "pulls hair out" face!)

I knew this fabric would be evil to work with, i've worked with non-crinkled chiffon before but this is so much worse. Thank goodness I have some "test fabric" that is the same consistency but the wrong color. By the time I got it home the crinkles were wrinkled! I had to lightly use a garment steamer to get the wrinkles without hurting the crinkles. It also grows when you pick it up, which makes attaching the lining (made from a thin silk poly) difficult. I used the lightest/smallest needle with large zig-zag stitches to attach it to the lining and went extremely slow and it still puckers, runs and leaves pin marks! I am sad that it obviously looks like 2 layers. Any ideas? Any crinkled-chiffon experts?

I did luck out on the hair ornaments. I found shell necklaces in the craft bead isle at Wal-Mart. They were only 50 cents and already have the slight curve shape and holes punched. I will add the design with puff paint or Scuply and use silver Buff n? Rub for the color:
    [image=http://www.cressie.com/Images/shell%20front.JPG]
    Back view:
    [image=http://www.cressie.com/Images/shell%20back.JPG]

3. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    Looking good Cressie. I have no advice for crinkle ANY fabric(it really is the devil's fabric). Just make sure you are using a very sharp needle.

BTW, SDCC Preview from Windlass Studios:
    http://flickr.com/photos/starwarsblog/2697602158/in/set-72157606337314876/

Embroidery looks wrong to me, can't really see any other details.

4. cressie

Jul 12, 2006
    Wow! Thanks! I am SHOCKED that they picked the packing gown to replicate. It doesn't seem as popular as other Padme dresses.
    I hope they have these displayed at Dragon-Con since they are a local Atlanta company.

5. princessleia911

May 25, 2005
    I think they are supposed to be at DragonCon as well but hopefully, they bring the same prototypes.

I might suggest something called Magic Sculp, it is a resin clay. So you can sculpt it like Sculpey but it air dries overnight to resin which will not break, crack, split, warp, etc... You have to mix it together and then you have about 1 hour(usually more in hot weather) to work with it. I do suggest gloves but it will smooth with water.
    http://www.magicsculp.com/

6. cressie

Jul 12, 2006
    Thanks for the new product info, I've never heard of it! I might use that or the bend-n-flex sculpy, haven't decided.

I downloaded the large size of the Windless packing gown and I don't think the sleeves are crinkled. You are right, Princessleia911, the embroidary looks off. It looks a little too even and the edges are sharp. You just can't mass produce hand-beading like that.

it says on the tiny silver sign "Prototype: please do not touch: This piece is pending the approval of the license. The final colors, patterns and fabrics may change".

7. princessleia911

May 25, 2005
    Yeah and I doubt they will change much as the costume looks "good enough", just curious if they include the hairpiece as that MAKES the complete costume and without, it just looks wrong.

8. cressie

Jul 12, 2006
    The front panel consists of blue-gray chain stitching on top of tulle with beads and metallic gold midi-braid from what I can tell.
    So my quest for chain stitching started months ago, and I have yet to find a cheap chainstitching machine (my serger doesn't have a chain looper). Luckily, I asked the ladies on Pattern Review and they have a great list of possible machines: http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/sewingclasses/board.pl?t=26990

A good thing about a chainstiching mahine, is that you can also use it on the Picnic skirt as well.

As for my front panel, a real chainstiching machine is out of my budget, so I opted for a child's chainstitching machine from Target. I'm hoping that it is more durable than the reviews suggest.

I am also doing chainstitching by hand using a crochet needle as in this tutorial. So we'll see which one looks better.

9. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I saw the packing gown at SDCC and my heart sank. Here I thought I was gearing up to make another unique Padme costume and now find it will be offered to the masses. My only hope is that we all give this enough atteention to detail to surpass anything that Museum Replicas can afford to offer.

I will say it looks to me like they used the same Tussah silk for the skirt that I discovered. It looks and feels identical. Nice to know it dyes up OK. lol (I asked thier rep, and yes, they bought it undyed like I did and had to dye it). Kind of makes me sad, because I searched for so long for this perfect fabric and had actually held off on sharing my source for a while too. That's life. I meant to take good photos of the costume on preview night when it was empty at the booth and forgot. The booth was packed with people on the weekend so I had trouble getting any good shots of it. I'll try to post it tonight though.

10. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Cressie - if you want to do a chain stitch by hand it wouldn't be a crochet chain stitch. It would be an embroidery chain stitch with needle and thread. See this tutorial instead: http://inaminuteago.com/stitchdict/stitch/Chain.html

I'll be interested to see what your child's machine chain stitch looks like. Most of the sergers that do a chain stitch do one that doesn't really look the same as an embroidery chain stitch. (I have 2 machines that do "chain stitch", they never look like an embroidery chain stitch). I think there must be some kind of old fashioned embroidery machines, like the cornelly industrial machines they used to do a lot of the other Padme costumes, that would be the only ones to give the correct style of chain stitch. Otherwise we have to do it by hand.

I found another web page that shows samples of the cornelly machine chain stitch. http://www.michaelsbridalfabrics.co.uk/corn_emb.htm I really think that's what was used on this costume as well as the picnic dress vines.

11. Cleopatramwi

Cleopatramwi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2006
    Well that is depressing. I was hoping to upgrade my skirt and hair, but now I'm wondering why I should bother and maybe I'll just pack the costume away.

12. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, I hope you don't Cleopatramwi. Whether or not lots of people buy and wear the manufactured version, the time and care a dedicated costumer puts into their own replica will always be evident and appreciated. :)

kay_dee, did you happen to ask the rep about hairpieces and jewelry? I'm very curious to see if they will sell those parts too.

13. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I forgot to ask about the hair piece, but I asked if the jewelry would be sold separately since they are offering Jedi accessories separately. (Their Packing arm bands are excellent, better than anything I have resources to make. Actually higher quality than what was used in the film!). They said no, they won't be selling the jewelery/arm bands separately for the packing gown. I think they are loosing out on potential business from those of us who have already made this costume ourselves and would like to upgrade the jewelry. Perhaps if we e-mail them or they lurk these forums they will change their mind? There is always D*Con too. They usually have a display there so if enough of us ask for the same thing, it could change their mind.

Cleopatrawmi - I'd still keep your packing gown for trooping and upgrade it if you feel the desire. I also think that in the end, many of the fan made versions will be better than the mass produced MR version. And if it has a high price tag, who knows how many they will sell anyway.

14. princessleia911

May 25, 2005
    I will definitely be there at Dragon to inspect these but I would say that neither costume(this or the Battle one) are good enough to join the RL. They do not meet the standards there and many fan versions are so much better than this one.

15. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    How is it that this packing dress by MR does not meet the standards for Rebel Legion? It has real embroidery that is darn close to the real thing. How nit picky is RL getting on minute details? I'd say the only iffy part of this costume is it is a tad too green of velvet on the vest... and they may change that in the final production. It's super close though. Considering the real costume does have a green velvet vest, not charcoal gray/black or blue like many fans use... it's just as good as many Rebel Legion costumes.

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks kay_dee. Yeah, they would make additional money if they sold the armbands separately, but it doesn't surprise me that they aren't going to. It's nice to hear that they are nicely made though. I think it would be neat to have some Padme 'jewelry' replicas to display around the house.

17. princessleia911

May 25, 2005
    Please review the RL Standards for this costume here: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8974

Based on the photos, the embroidery colors are off, here is the real: http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/silver/packingfront.jpg

and here is the Musuem Replicas version: http://www.rebelscum.com/SDCC08/MuseumReplicas/image28.asp

Also, there is no hairpiece or hair jewelry in these photos which is the basis for my statement. I would appreciate any further discussion about the RL taken to the appropriate RL forum. I was just stating that our LCJ team is acutely aware of these costumes and have been watching and reviewing them carefully.

18. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I was just going to come in here and say that I was impressed with the MR version of this dress. If one of us had made it I'm sure everyone would praise the quality of it.

19. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    If I get time later I'll post my photos and observations at Rebel Legion if this is something the LCJs are debating. In my opinion, the colors are just about spot on on the embroidery. They just went too heavy with the embroidery so it looks too bright in areas.

1) They used a brighter metallic gold to do the chain stitching and went a bit too heavy with it. They did multiple rows around the blue beading rather than a thin single row). There is metallic chain stitching on the real costume, but because it is just a thin row of chain stitching around the blue beads it doesn't stand out as being such a bright yellow.

2) They filled in the entire panel with embroidery, rather than letting the netting and background fabric be the dark part of the pattern (it's filled in with dark embroidery floss instead). All the other colors look so close to me, as close as any fan interpretation would be.

3) Yes, we know the costume needs hair pieces. I guess I'm just assuming they will have those parts or a fan would make that part themselves if buying the dress from MR in order to join a club like Rebel Legion :)

4) Hopefully the RL will edit the description of the packing dress velvet bodice. It is not black. Those of us who have seen it in person know it is a very very dark green. I call it charcoal green, because there is a lot of black/gray in the color mix. Whenever I get my packing dress done, I hope it won't be rejected by RL because it will have a movie accurate dark green highlight to the velvet. ;)

20. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    Perhaps with feedback they will get the embroidery corrected. After all, I'm pretty sure that most of the people who'd plunk down over a grand on a costume are people who are going to be submitting it to the RL for admission. Not being RL-approved would greatly diminish their sales, I would imagine.

I saw it at Comic Con, and with my ignorant eyes, I thought it looked good too. But then again I haven't studied the costume.

21. cressie

Jul 12, 2006
    Well if they don't sell the armbands seperately, I have found another possible source. Making Memories who first produced the "Baroque" metal scrapbooking moulding strips (which is what Atastic (spell?) used) and it looked spot on. The company has discontinued them several years ago, but they are now making a stamp of a very similar design: http://www.makingmemories.com/Products/detail/clear-stamps
    The closest style is on the "ornaments" sheet. I've never tried to stamp alumnumn before? Think this will work?

22. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    I thought the bodice was kind of icky, actually. It didn't look boned hardly at all, and it really looked like crushed velvet, which just ain't right. Sleeves, armbands, and skirt were pretty nice though. Couldn't tell the weight of the skirt, but I'm guessing it's still too heavy.

23. Cleopatramwi

Cleopatramwi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2006
    My Packing Gown was accepted as formal in the Rebel Legion and that replica is far better!
    It looks like it was done very well and with high quality materials.

24. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah, it the bodice velvet was a bit crushed somehow (maybe just poorly handled when sewing and pressing the seams?) and didn't seem well fitted. And as I mentioned, it's a bit TOO obviously green - even though it should be green and not black ;)

I touched the skirt. It was light weight airy tussah - very close to how I remember the real skirt feeling and as I said, I'm just about 100% positive it's the tussah I got for my skirt. It has the same feel and slight sheen, It stood out instantly when I went around the corner to take a look and I was like 'oh no! That's my fabric!' LOL! If we want to get anal, maybe this tussah is slightly heavier than the screen used stuff or slightly shinier? Hard to say... But it's so darn close, and my sneaky-feel of the real one was so long ago. This is the closest thing I've seen to date for a packing dress skirt, even for fan made versions that I really do think are top notch and deserving of being in clubs like the Rebel Legion.

Cleopatrawmi - I would not say this costume is better than yours! Your bodice looks much better because you fitted it and I believe you put in boning too? I think your embroidery is probably better because you really took time to do it right (I'd have to look at yours again, I don't have links to it right now).

BTW Cleoptrawmi, I've been off of LJ since I've been out of town a lot and busy sewing. I just saw your picnic dress at Rebel Legion and it is SOOOO AMAZING!!!

25. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Are those stamps metal? I have stamped foil before. I started redoing my purple senate headdress and only got halfway done. What I did was use the metal leather stamps from Tandy Leather. The patterns that are on a wheel work best. I was having a lot of trouble with the individual stamps making them lineup in a row perfectly. I took a break and need to go back to it and figure out how to rig some kind of jig up so that the stamps will always be even every time.

What I did was get some cushiony vinyl from Hancock fabrics, layed the metal foil on top of that, then pounded or pressed and rolled the metal stamp onto the metal strips I'd made. I had to touch up some areas with a thin metal stylus, but it worked pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.