main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme AOTC Battle Outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queen-of-Naboo

Queen-of-Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Jul 21, 2006
    I did the torn version. But for the shawl, I would maybe suggest a wool blanket or something like that. It looks thicker than terry cloth.

And as for the simplicity pattern, I dunno how canon you want yours to be, but the seam are different for the pattern than she really has. Like the sleeves should be sewn in. You can scroll up to my pix to see my seam lines if that helps.

And the boots aren't really gray, but a pale tan to match the belt. I bought my boots as well and I'm going to stain them the right color since the company only sold pure white ones.

I hope that helps a little bit.

~Tally

2. Lelundrial

Lelundrial Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2004
    I noticed that about that pattern right away. I think I can figure out where to cut the proper seams. The shawl fabric she just went out and bought, just looks nothing like it should. I had went back to padawansguide, and saw that someone had gotten a fabric from Joanns in the decor department. That is where I was yesterday and didn't find anything. I am weary about buying fabric online because the texture of it, doesn't always show. Funny I had seen a pair of white ones online that would work except for the color.

3. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    ok I found this fabric:

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=W602

but as you can see it isn't fully white. Oh for the cape. I don't want to damage it, and someone, not on the board, suggested to bleach it. Would that be wise?

4. Kasey8473

Kasey8473 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Hiya! This is a fun outfit to do. I made it last year for Halloween. The table runner person was me! I do have a suggestion for you. I've since found a fabric that could work in the muslin area of my local JoAnn Fabrics. It's called 'waffle muslin' and they confirmed they could order it. I've also found it at Hancock Fabrics. One had it in white and the other in cream. If any of your local stores (whatever you have) carry it, it might be worth a look. Hope this helps!

5. Kasey8473

Dec 13, 2005
    OKay, I looked up my picture I took when I used the fabric for another costume really quick. Here's what the waffle muslin looks like:

[image=http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/kes8473/DormeRobeGown/dormerobefabric.jpg]

6. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    And I was looking at muslin, hehe. I will go back and look it up again.

Hey yeah I saw your table runner idea, and thought it was a good one. I was looking at everything. I'm wondering if its the season. That sometimes happens.

7. Queen-of-Naboo

Jul 21, 2006
    So I want to re-make my shirt. What material do y'all think is best? I used a t-shirt knit before and this is how it turned out: http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/battle2.jpg

Maybe if should use that but just tighten it up a bit? It seems like it should be thicker, though. I just don't want to use that lycra/spandex junk they use on the rubies type stuff.

Any thought?

~Tally

8. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    Well I personally think what you made is good. I think I know what you mean by thicker. I had these stretch pants for working out in. They were black, but the material was thick. That is what it looks like this material is to me. I really need to find these pants. I saw a cotton knit that was similar but a little to thin.

Ok did I count the seams on the pants right? I was looking at the movie, and I swear the count changes. During the actual battle I counted 7 seams. The crotch seam, two side seams, and then four seams that go down the middle of the leg. 2 in front and 2 in back.

9. Queen-of-Naboo

Jul 21, 2006

Yea, that sounds right. I looked in the 'Dressing the Galaxy' book. It's the crotch seam which goes from the front underneath to the back, 2 seams down each side, 2 down the front, and 2 down the back. You can go back a page and check out the pants that I made. It might be under the I.D. 'Tally-Skywalker'. I mede all the seams just like hers.

~Tally

10. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    Ok I see them. It was interesting because when I was watching the movie again, I swear there are no front seams when she is sitting on the ship. But then there they are later. Meh! Just trying to think of how to sew them up for that seam. I could buy a pair of leggings which is the way I was going to go, but then I would have to put in those extra seams. Things to think about.

I have another question. I went back a few pages and some of the photos no longer work, and I didn't see it mentioned. I was looking at the exhibit photos on padawansguide.com, and I had noticed what looks like metal snaps on the back. I guess because of the angle I only see them on the left side. Looks like there are 3. Are they snaps? and if they are, are they there to hold the cape in place? I mean makes sense if they are, just need to make sure.

11. Queen-of-Naboo

Jul 21, 2006
    Snaps?! I didn't that there was anything on her shirt! *goes back to do more research*

OK, I saw what you were looking at. I those are on the costume to hold it in place while Natalie runs around and stuff, but I don't think they're supposed to be there for the character...ya know what I mean?

Any way, yea, I counted three. I hope that helps.

~Tally

12. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    Yes sorry should have said on the cape. That was my thinking as well. Because when she was doing that running pretending to avoid those factory machines, it would need them. I think I will just put one up at the top to hold it in place. Like on the top of the shoulder. It would be covered, plus I may not run alot, but with my youngling, I have to pick him up a lot. Well not have to, but you get my point. It would constantly slide off.

Its funny my son's grandmother saw the closeup detail for it, and she thinks she can just crochet it or knit the cape. I was thinking about that also, but I can crochet and knit just not like her. It would make it think enough, hm worth checking out.

13. Queen-of-Naboo

Jul 21, 2006

That soudsn like a great idea! Good luck!

14. Kasey8473

Dec 13, 2005
    If I could crochet or knit, I would have done it, but I'm lacking all talent in those departments. I even tried to convince my mom it would be worth the effort on her part. She was not convinced. I don't think I've ever heard her laugh like that before! [face_laugh]

15. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    Oh well last night she is now saying that she can't. We found a woven wool fabric, however, its not the right color. They have two colors black and sand, no white.

16. quen_amidala

quen_amidala Jedi Youngling

Feb 3, 2006
    I am amazed at how you all can do this! I want to have a custom costume so bad but can't so for the life of me.

I come on to offer opinions and look at the great work. Now all i need is a friend who can sew [face_clown]

17. Queen-of-Naboo

Jul 21, 2006
    quen_amidala: Welcome! I sent you a pm.

~Tally

18. Natalie1988

Natalie1988 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2005
    i will make this costume for Con*Cept

i will use this pattern :

[image=http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7844/battleoutfitpatternul5.jpg]

19. Queen-of-Naboo

Jul 21, 2006
    That's the pattern that I used (with some modefications to do the correct seams of course), but it's pretty good.

What's con*cept? Where and when is it?

20. Natalie1988

Dec 27, 2005
    is at montreal (canada) and is a convention of Sc-fi on Friday October 13 to Sunday October 15 2006.
    ... (Star Wars/SG-1 and more )

Thanks for the info for the pattern

look:

http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=25072525&brd=10041&start=25105942

21. Queen-of-Naboo

Jul 21, 2006
    Canada? Oh, nevermind then. That might be a bit tricky for a floridian girl like myself! haha.

Good luck on your costume and if you need any help, just ask (I love this costume!!) And take lots of pix!

22. Natalie1988

Dec 27, 2005
    Thanks if i need help i will ask you !

23. senator__padme

senator__padme Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    I recently finished version... oh, who even knows anymore? of this costume for D*Con... I finally have a (mostly) accurate shirt, new pants, shinguards (which I had finished in June,) and a belt with the holster and pouches. I still need to make an accurate holster and some new armbands, as well as find boots (ugh.. anyone find some ankle boots in the US that are close?) and pintuck the pants.

One of the local 501sters made the shirt for me, and she used the Simplicity pattern... she pinned the sleeve to the front of the shirt so that they wouldn't be set-in, and it worked quite nicely. She just made it shorter and made only one long sleeve since I was doing the ripped version.. that way I wasted less fabric when I cut it at the midriff and the sleeve. ;) I used the Simplicity pattern for the holster too, and it ended up being the perfect size for the little Naboo gun. The other pouches are handmade and took forever. I probably made 10-12 this summer between this costume and my Snowbunny to figure out how to do it and get the look I wanted.

Pictures:
    http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/jmolinaro1/DragonCon2006/P9020033.jpg
    http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/jmolinaro1/DragonCon2006/P9020021.jpg

24. Queen-of-Naboo

Jul 21, 2006
    Yea, I remember seeing that at D*C. Great job...it looks awsome! I still need to re-do my arm bands, shirt and belt, then it will be complete! I finally got around to staining my boots the right color so it looks like I've just been through a Geonosian battle!

25. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    great job :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.